Am I mad

Chukkieegg

OK so now had my boxster 2years

It was a cheap one I paid around the £2500 mark for it and upto November last year I had spent around £1,500 on maintenance

Last Nov mot cost me £1000 but that did include a new fuel pump which failed I have had both rear wheels refurbed long story at a cost of £160 last weekend I had new softop fitted as the existing one plastic screen stitching had come way and was leaking plus the fabric was not in best condition at a cost of £1050

Car is out in all weather don't have a garage this winter the rain and snow got in between the lawyer and the paint and lacquer has peeled so next Sat bonnet gets a respray at a cost of £275

It going to need at least 1cat before next mot and gear linkage cables are wearing so needs a bit more money this year. 

So I have way more money in the car than I would get back for it if I sold it

Am I mad or have I turned into a porsche enthusiast the redeeming factor is the sound it makes when you wind it up and the smile it puts on my face and its only the 2.5 base model

2 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

the redeeming factor is the sound it makes when you wind it up and the smile it puts on my face

You can't put a price on this ^ so forget the money and just enjoy it mate :thumbsup_anim:

3 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

....the smile it puts on my face....

The only thing that matters - provided you're putting food on the table and a roof over your head - is this ☝️

It's almost sorted. you kove it enough to keep repairing. 

Life is about smiles and good times, not how big the bank balance becomes before it's time to leave. 

It's always going to cost you, keeping an old car going there inevitably will always be something around the corner that gives up the ghost. I have the same car as you 2.5 and have spent like you on keeping it legal and running well. How far you go only you know. Sometimes I think I'm mad but the car still makes me smile, and like you say that money is written off, but hey what else you gonna spend it on? 

I'm in the same boat - I bought a 2.5 about 18 months ago, got 2-3 months top-down use before winter, then lockdown kicked in. I renewed the coffin arms and bolts etc as they couldn't be freed up to align the wheels, and just recently had a new variocam actuator and water pump fitted, new front tyres, fluids changed, new brake lines, coil packs etc. I have now spent more on repairs and maintenance than I paid for the car which grates a bit, but I am now much more confident that I can hop in and do a week long trip somewhere and it will be reliable. 

I will say though, driving it home after that big bill 3 weeks ago (actuator/MOT) it did put a grin on my face. TBH I would love a Chev V8 powered car but this ticks just about all the boxes for me. I also butchered/trashed a couple of nice old cars when I was young and daft, so I feel I need to balance that out but making my 986 a better car than when I got it. This summer I'll whip the bumper off and clear the rads, and clean and reproof the top. And drive it more...

It's the trade off between new/relatively new and older. New car is covered by warranty for say 3-5 years and should not incur any bits out of routine servicing. However, chances are you are paying a decent wedge a month to buy it.

Older car, out of warranty, requires more maintenance but it's yours outright, no monthly repayment.

You should have a look at some of the spend in some of the member ride or running report threads 😄 The important thing is that you enjoy the car and get good value from it.

If you buy a Boxster for say £2500, then spend the same again on it over a year or two, you still have a pretty cheap car in the grand scheme of things.

Its also a much better car than just about anything you could have gone onto a forecourt and bought for £5000.

Also, if you keep it for another 5 - 10 years it will probably be worth more than you paid for it, whereas the vast majority of cars you could have bought for 5 grand will be worth not much more than scrap value.

All things to bear in mind when your other half questions your sanity. 👍

5 hours ago, map said:

The only thing that matters - provided you're putting food on the table and a roof over your head - is this ☝️

He’s just explained that he’s bought a new roof so he has that covered

10 hours ago, Chukkieegg said:

.... its only the 2.5 base model

5 hours ago, iborguk said:

There is no only, they are all brilliant cars. Keep enjoying it.

Perhaps go with its the 'original' 2.5 Boxster model as when it was launched in 1996 this was the only Boxster model until the 3.2 S came along for the '00 model year in the later part of 1999.  It still ahs more cylinder than a standard 718 😉

Big it up and enjoy it!  But yes, you are probably mad, just like the rest of us.

Keep up the good work I say🙂.

Mine is also a 2.5 and I've owned it for eight years now. Ive accrued a fairly massive wad of receipts for parts etc in that time and I'm certain if I added them all up it'd easily exceed the £6k that I paid to purchase it back in 2013.

Old interesting cars are brilliant things to own though and worth every penny in my opinion.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:57 PM, Chukkieegg said:

Glad you all think the same

Would sell it for an s but funds won't stretch 😂 

I've always thought I'd do the same. Yet here I am 5 years into Boxster ownership with the 2.5. Dad's had a Cayman S and now a 911 991 and driving them you just realise some cars can be too fast to have fun in them. Don't get me wrong, amazing cars and I do have a lot of fun but the rawness of a 2.5 986 is something that always puts a smile on my face. 

Archived