2018 map update

JurassicBGTS

Trying to negotiate as much as possible out of the OPC on my potential S purchase.

I have asked them that a map upgrade would have to be carried out as part of the deal. I thought there was a 2019 update but they confirm the latest is 2018 for the 981. They will only go 50% towards the cost so it would be £150 extra. 

Has anyone had this map update? Is it worth having done or just minor changes and the systems not really fit for current use anyway🤣

What year is the current map if you don't update?

There is nothing worse than missing roads or dodgy information on a map - that said I find Waze or Google maps better in almost all cases but I do like the convenience of built in SatNav 🤔

3 minutes ago, JurassicGTS said:

They will only go 50% towards the cost so it would be £150 extra.

I find that poor, buying from an OPC. I'd expect to have software and systems updated. Maybe someone thinks it's hardware as it's a new DVD?

VW group charge a fricking fortune for map data across all of their product lines. 300 quid for a software map update doesn't sound too far out of line with what I'd expect them to charge.  The problem is the dealer gets charged by head office so they can't discount it, anything they give to you in discount comes out of their bottom line.

22 minutes ago, rowbos said:

What year is the current map if you don't update?

There is nothing worse than missing roads or dodgy information on a map - that said I find Waze or Google maps better in almost all cases but I do like the convenience of built in SatNav 🤔

It would be a 2014 map.

In the overall picture it's probably worth having done.

Edited by JurassicGTS

Think the latest maps For pcm 3 and 3.1 are “called” 2019 but are actually dated 2018. 

you shouldn’t need to use an  alternative method and even if you did go “grey market” For updates it’s still 100 quid. 

but I agree - the OPC should be trying a bit harder for that kind of thing.  

You can get the latest map update from a guy on ebay, it was £99 when I did mine and was painless.

Porsche navigation is hardly cutting edge as others have mentioned but I do like the integration on the 3rd binnacle which is something you'd lose going for an aftermarket unit.

38 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

As Daz says, the Nav in the 981 is shocking & not worth turning on even.. or at least I never use it.

That makes me feel much better, knowing I'm not missing out, as mine hasn't got navigation fitted.  Can anyone confirm that the bluetooth telephone kit is also rubbish, just to give me a sense of smugness, and ensure I don't feel like a 2nd class citizen...?  :lol:

8 minutes ago, Davey P said:

That makes me feel much better, knowing I'm not missing out, as mine hasn't got navigation fitted.  Can anyone confirm that the bluetooth telephone kit is also rubbish, just to give me a sense of smugness, and ensure I don't feel like a 2nd class citizen...?  :lol:

I find it works OK with the roof down...oh wait 🤭

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Davey P said:

You are 2nd class.  Wipe that smug look of your face!

I like having built in Nav, I pity your lack of mapping, I can feel your Nav-envy starting to build... 😂

• Haha 1

I updated mine from 14 to 18 a couple of years ago via a guy on eBay, there’s a thread on here about it as around 10 people did it at the same time.   I use Nav regularly and have no issues with it, it works fine. The only major pain is stop offs/waypoints etc which are implemented in a very unintuitive way and only allow 4 stopoffs. Additionally there’s no easy mechanism for importing or exporting routes to a PC or similar.

Having said that, I wouldn’t pay to update to 18 now as an update is probably due in next few months and you would be better off updating to the 2021/22 version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

No nav and no bluetooth for Google Maps to announce over?  What?  I'd sell the car now!

Next you'll be saying you don't have Bose either.  And massage seats, you have massage seats, right?  ;)

• Haha 1

Keep in mind they may also charge for a PCM software update on top of the map update.

Ensure that is all you are paying for the map upgrade !

I find the 3rd binnacle so useful - I tend to have the distance to next junction displayed in there and the map/ road numbers on the main screen.  I use it all the time. 

Also they have to report their sold units by the end of next month - this gives that dealership it's allocation of new cars for the following year.....they will want to sell that car even more as time ticks towards that day.

13 minutes ago, Simo_UK said:

No nav and no bluetooth for Google Maps to announce over?  What?  I'd sell the car now!

Next you'll be saying you don't have Bose either.  And massage seats, you have massage seats, right?  ;)

You barstard 😂

Poor Davey will be sobbing in his poverty spec Cayman about now I guess 🤔 😇

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

51Y-18t00GL._AC_.jpg

In the 80s the 2CV had some of the best adverts ever, I remember this one.

Edited by Menoporsche
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davey P said:

Nope.  The Bluetooth works well..  Sorry about that!

• Haha 1

Perhaps I should add that for the last ~ 4 years I've sat behind the Audi Virtual Cockpit in my daily, so that does tend to make most other systems look pretty rubbish.

The main issue with the Porsche unit is the screen resolution and speed.  I also don't like the fact it will persistently override the 3rd binnacle with info whether you want it to not.  Like I say, it stays off nowadays..  

I had a new V60 as a demo a while back and their newest nav/screen was pants in comparison.