PSE Actuator snapped :(

Withy

So a lot of other threads on 981's/991/997's suggest a few overnight soakings of the valve rotation points with lubricant and manually manoeuvring it until it's freely moving.  So I'll try that, and maybe that'll help with the corrosion which has probably caused the issue in the first place.  The left side one is really smooth action, not stressing the ball joint at all, so if I can get the movement on the drivers side OK, I might even try this https://www.amazon.co.uk/JB-Weld-37901-ExtremeHeat-Temperature/dp/B01IBOBY74 to re-attach the actuator to the ball joint, as it is a pretty clean break.

This and roof drain worries make me think I need to clear out the garage so I can park the car there!

9 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I had a sticky valve flap on my 987, it had been freed up before I bought it. It then started to stick about 2 years later but I freed it up with several nights soaking it with wd40 type stuff 👌

An ex-girlfriend of mine had a similar sticky flap problem. 
Was probably repairable but didn’t want to get my hands dirty, she was in warranty so exchanged her for a new one. 

• Haha 1

@WithyI have just had one side of the PSE replaced under warranty on mine. It was the valve in the exhaust that had failed not the actuator. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the one they removed but I believe the actuator is not a bolt on part like on the 997 where you can replace just that.

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod126451/Porsche-997-Sport-Exhaust-Vacuum-Replacement-Unit-99711168000/#126451

If the box was removed I'm sure somebody could fabricate a bracket to utilise a 997 valve though.

42 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

IMG20220329105448

Ok just crawled under my car for a photo for you and the actuator is bolted on. Maybe the 997 part is similar or you could at least remove the old one to try and repair broken ball joint.

The parts cat clearly shows it as a separate part.  Details (991 part number) given further up the post on page 1.  So if the valve is freely moving, the only question is whether there is space to change it with the exhaust in situ. If there is, disconnect the vacuum, disconnect the ball joint (already done because it is broken), undo 3 nuts, feed the old unit out and drop the new on in.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

IMG20220329105448

Ok just crawled under my car for a photo for you and the actuator is bolted on. Maybe the 997 part is similar or you could at least remove the old one to try and repair broken ball joint.

Wow, that looks so clean compared to mine! - thanks for checking
Yes, I noticed the same thing.  Just wonder if the vacuum hose would make it accessible/removable or need some recalibration.  As things stand a few good blasts of WD40 silicone has really freed up the offending valve, so will do for another couple of days, and then take a stab at sorting out the broken rod

• 5 weeks later...

anyone got tips on how to remove the actuator from the ball joint?

I've been advised its the ball joint that needs a light sanding as it rusts inside there.

I just cant seem to pry my stick one off....

18 minutes ago, Patt said:

anyone got tips on how to remove the actuator from the ball joint?

I've been advised its the ball joint that needs a light sanding as it rusts inside there.

I just cant seem to pry my stick one off....

I don't know if this is the case with Porsche, but these often have a metal wire security pin/clip that secures the ball into the socket and that needs removing before disassembly.

If not, soak it in Plus Gas or some penetrating spray over night then prise it off carefully I guess.

Not visible clips, it's coated in high temp grease already but I've gone well beyond "careful" and it's not budged.

I could go for full animal mode, but I'm only on jack stands.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:25 AM, alank said:

Withy, did you fix your PSE valve ok, or get a replacement valve.

Not yet.  I tried the cold weld stuff and it snapped after 3 pushes of the switch.  I think I'll order a new actuator though, but I still want to make sure that the actual valve is running smoother - last time it was still a bit sticky, so will continue with the high temp lube.  Been away for weekend but will get to it this week I think

On 4/29/2022 at 1:36 PM, Patt said:

Not visible clips, it's coated in high temp grease already but I've gone well beyond "careful" and it's not budged.

I could go for full animal mode, but I'm only on jack stands.

if you look on the part here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265396835438?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1XmhHupDyTdmMzxagvzkzYw63&customid=EAIaIQobChMI0e_krLXA9wIVDOztCh3GtgzVEAQYByABEgK78fD_BwE

you can see that there is a clip involved (this is the 991 part but surely the 981 would use the same method?).  Ive got to admit though, when I had issues with mine I had a look to see if it was easy to un-attach and couldn't see an obvious clip either!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 6:00 PM, Withy said:

Hmm. Had a look. Valve is sticky. First part of movement is ok, when the push rod is extended then it becomes stuck and needs a good amount of force to move it back. I noticed the other day a loud ‘Ping’ which just have been when the spring released and it went back to resting position. So not sure a ball joint or actuator will sort this.. need to get the root cause of the sticking sorted

Hi withy, did you manage to fix your exhaust

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alank said:

Hi withy, did you manage to fix your exhaust

Not yet.  If it's dry tomorrow I'll take another look, but since I like in Glasgow, I may need to wait a bit longer :)

• Haha 1