Project 387

timbobalobox

timbobalobox 

O have some questions!

With the experience you got now building this car, imagínate you decide build a second unit!

1. How long time do you think it would take you building a second unit?

2. What would you not make at the second unit?

cheers

Jan

2 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Are those plates legal? I don't think they are in Northamptonshire.

I believe he has 'show' and legal plates. Black and silver/white not legit on a post '74 car IIRC.

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

Zacly. I wonder if the 5.0 would know enough to be bothered to run the plate and see the actual reg year of the car.

The simplest approach is don't give them an excuse...  I always used to carry licence insurance and MOT before it went all electronic so they didn't have to get their pen out to write a producer even if you have been doing something else a bit naughty.  Then again I've only ever been pulled once in the UK and once in France, so go figure.

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

Zacly. I wonder if the 5.0 would know enough to be bothered to run the plate and see the actual reg year of the car.

They would not need to, that plate is a 1998 reg so they would know it is not a pre 1972 car without checking

Despite what trolls would have you say, the police (in my experience, anyway) aren't bothered by those sort of things - I've had an illegally small plate on my kit car for 6 years and never been stopped for it. I'm sure if I was stopped for something else, they might add it to the list but you aren't going down for it 🙂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Actually I hear the Met still ask for sexual favours sometimes...

If I ever see a cute blonde driving a police car, I'm going to follow her with my small plate and try my luck...(I'll probably get her fat, hairy partner).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nelmo said:

Despite what trolls would have you say, the police (in my experience, anyway) aren't bothered by those sort of things - I've had an illegally small plate on my kit car for 6 years and never been stopped for it. I'm sure if I was stopped for something else, they might add it to the list but you aren't going down for it 🙂 

Same here - 23 years with a slightly misplaced plate, but standard size letters - never been stopped.

Daughter had a similar layout - she's been given a producer once in 2 years 

2 hours ago, nelmo said:

Local tipec group had a meet last summer at a local reservoir.  We attracted a bit of attention.  Couple of the guys had token effort number plates.   

local road traffic unit were there, pressing the flesh and doing all the meet and greet the public stuff. All good.  No issue. They bought a few kids over who were there with a school group to look at the cars and we let them take photos and sit in the cars etc. 

an hour later a “special constable” came over and decided to tell us that “locally they were targeting high value cars with dodgy number pages because they were getting good money from the fines”

one of the officers from the road traffic unit cane over to see what was happening and “had a word” with the special   

me   I figure it’s not worth the effort of “pushing my luck” and personally I don’t like the cut down plate look so I keep it “legit”  

Btw   The argument of “anpr can’t pick up the registration” by and large is an urban myth  just try parking in a anpr car park with the small plates and see if they find you for the fine  

On 10/16/2023 at 8:49 PM, El Vikingo Tropical said:

timbobalobox 

O have some questions!

With the experience you got now building this car, imagínate you decide build a second unit!

1. How long time do you think it would take you building a second unit?

2. What would you not make at the second unit?

cheers

Jan

Hi Jan

No worries!

A huge amount of my time was spent working the wiring out and problem solving, so I think I could possibly knock at least a couple of weeks off the total time. 

I don’t think there’s much I wouldn’t do again to be honest - definitely be more careful not to break things being clumsy! I’d probably wire the resistors/ballast in a more structured position ie instead directly inline near the lights, I’d mount a panel in the frunk for easier future access.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else!

On 10/17/2023 at 12:01 PM, JonSta said:

I keep a standard set of plates and screwdriver in the boot just in case - if doing a drive out (or for the MOT of course) I’ll swap them back to white/yellow

Generally as the car looks quite old I’d have to have been deserving of the attention if I had not changed them

I’m certainly not doing it to obscure for ANPR or anything like that!

On 10/17/2023 at 4:24 PM, nelmo said:

I got stopped for a small plate. Guy made me sit in the police car and everything. Got the book out to show me the regs. Tried to give me a fixed price. I said no thanks I'll go to court. He didn't look very happy but I never heard anything else about it. I wasn't speeding or showing off or anything at the time.

6 minutes ago, JonSta said:

I got stopped for a small plate. Guy made me sit in the police car and everything. Got the book out to show me the regs. Tried to give me a fixed price. I said no thanks I'll go to court. He didn't look very happy but I never heard anything else about it. I wasn't speeding or showing off or anything at the time.

Harsh - I think it is down to attitude, you need to suck up big time by apologising profusely and looking pathetic. Try to show any sort of defiance/cockiness and you're toast (not saying you did).

I was caught doing 105 in a BMW (so a real obvious target 🙂 ) and I must have apologised about 13 times before the window was finished rolling down. They also don't like excuses - just be honest - I told him I was just happy to be on such a quiet road (A11, 10pm at night) and got carried away. He reported  me for only doing 100 so I had to go to court (101 was an immediate ban) and I got 5 points and £600 fine - better than a ban.

2 hours ago, nelmo said:

Harsh - I think it is down to attitude, you need to suck up big time by apologising profusely and looking pathetic. Try to show any sort of defiance/cockiness and you're toast (not saying you did).

I was caught doing 105 in a BMW (so a real obvious target 🙂 ) and I must have apologised about 13 times before the window was finished rolling down. They also don't like excuses - just be honest - I told him I was just happy to be on such a quiet road (A11, 10pm at night) and got carried away. He reported  me for only doing 100 so I had to go to court (101 was an immediate ban) and I got 5 points and £600 fine - better than a ban.

I didn't give him any back-sass at all. Think it was just a slow day....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update...

Spent a bit of time sorting out bits and pieces that I've been meaning to do for ages!

Quite far down the list was the sat-nav, but it needed doing and I had been putting it off to be honest.  Luckily I had kept the scuttle panel during a clear out of parts I'd removed it, and after googling what the GPS receiver looked like I found it still attached (phew!).  Plugged it in, bolted it to the panel hiding the battery etc and after a short drive it was working again in all of it's 2005 glory.

Also wanted to line underneath the removable tonneau panels with some padding to neaten them up a bit - it actually went quite smoothly and with some contact adhesive shouldn't be coming off any time soon!

Finally was the issues I'd been having with the lights - due to the side lights changing to LEDs (the only size bulb I could find to fit the beetle style lights with the right voltage), I needed to add two resistors to stop the car thinking the bulbs had gone.  Did this and thankfully it worked :)  The reversing light was also throwing up an error (LED strip under the number plate), which I then realised I had to add resistors to both sides of the loom because there are reverse lights in both clusters, when I had originally only had put one on - stupidly obvious now when I think about it!

With those bits done (and a good vac out), I think it's pretty much there. 

I had mentioned to a few folk at the last Boxster meet that I might stick it up for sale to fund the next project (loft conversion :D), so with that in mind...

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2005-iconic-autobody-387-speedster-homage

If it goes for it's reserve (or hopefully more!) I will be able to look back with fondness on the project - it's honestly been great to have shared the journey with you guys, and to have had so much interest and support.  If it doesn't sell then you'll see more of me in the Boxster in an old dress at the events in the future :D 

Have a good weekend all 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's been a pleasure to watch the car come together, finished to an admirable standard. Your appetite for work seems extraordinary as you prepare to leave this project behind only to embark on a loft conversion. Very best wishes, I hope your work is richly rewarded.

• Like 1