Project 387

timbobalobox

That is a massive and, for these things, a very quick, achievement.

I hope you have as much if not more fun using it as you did building it.

Congratulations!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone :) 

There are still lots of bits and pieces to do, but it being taxed, tested and insured feels like a huge step in the right direction!  I've got to whip the engine cover off today as the power steering sounds a bit 'whiney' so I think the fluid is low.  

Big thank you to those who recommended iCarsoft - I had it delivered yesterday from Amazon which cleared the error codes a treat (the electrician couldn't get back until Monday!).  It'll be handy to have in the future when I have to take the doors apart again 👍

It's still due a final polish by the painters which I'll get done in the next couple of weeks.

I'll get some nicer shots done shortly (hopefully tomorrow if the weather holds out :) )

• Like 2

13 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

As the MOT was booked it was a bit of a rush to get everything done...  This included taking the door skins off and re-fitting the airbags, and whilst they were off re-sited the driver's side door top panel and glued.  Also tested all of the lights, fitted the latch cover etc etc

Windscreen was installed yesterday and thankfully it fitted like a dream!

IMG_5485

It looked quite fiddly and seeing as you only get 7 minutes to work with the adhesive, I'm pleased I left this to the pros!

Wipers on and working

IMG_5487

I've since adjusted them so they sit a bit lower.

Normal plates back on for the MOT - I actually don't mind it as much as I thought I would!

IMG_5488

It's back to the painters tomorrow (Saturday) to mess around with the gaps a bit more and to shave a bit off the spoiler (then repaint)

IMG_5489

Very satisfying to cross these off :) This was the list of jobs that I made when I got it back beginning of April

IMG_5486

Then off it went this morning for the MOT...

which it passed 😎

I got a call to go and collect it sharpish as it started pouring with rain and they didn't want to put it outside (didn't realise it had a roof!) It looks a bit weird with the top on :D but kept me dry on the way home.  

So tomorrow is a few (a lot) of finishing touches, a good clean, then should be able to take it on Sunday to the AGM 👍

Come and say hello if anyone else is going :) 

Which Porsche club AGM are you attending, Cornbury House or Bolton Abbey? If Bolton Abbey I look forward to meeting you and you great looking car.

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

When you say it looked weird with the roof up, is that because you hadn't seen it that way in ages?

Absolutely, but also from the new height of the doors makes the roof a look a bit 'squat'.  To be fair it's not too dissimilar from the original, so maybe it's not a bad thing!

IMG_5494

You can see the orange fireball under the bonnet - I had never heard of them before, but the electrician recommended them.  The idea is if they get to 70deg they explode with a fire suppressant and with the battery on a trickle charge it gives a bit of security should something go wrong.

Bit of a better view

IMG_5495

The cables in the windscreen are the heater cables, which I'll connect soon.  Or... connect the radio to them for a better aerial! (I can't see it being used too much in weather that necessitates a heated screen :D )

• Like 2

5 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

The cables in the windscreen are the heater cables, which I'll connect soon.  Or... connect the radio to them for a better aerial! (I can't see it being used too much in weather that necessitates a heated screen :D )

As far as I know, the wire in the front screen is only a radio aerial, it doesn’t heat the screen.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 9:50 AM, timbobalobox said:

Absolutely, but also from the new height of the doors makes the roof a look a bit 'squat'.  To be fair it's not too dissimilar from the original, so maybe it's not a bad thing!

IMG_5494

You can see the orange fireball under the bonnet - I had never heard of them before, but the electrician recommended them.  The idea is if they get to 70deg they explode with a fire suppressant and with the battery on a trickle charge it gives a bit of security should something go wrong.

Bit of a better view

IMG_5495

Have ever tried cleaning that fire suppressant powder up if it goes off? Friend of mine had one go off in his track Impreza. Afterwards he said he wished he'd just let it burn.....

8 hours ago, JonSta said:

Have ever tried cleaning that fire suppressant powder up if it goes off? Friend of mine had one go off in his track Impreza. Afterwards he said he wished he'd just let it burn.....

Ouch! Hadn’t realised that, or even considered it to be honest.

I only plan to have it when at home really, due to its proximity to the wooden mezzanine if something happens.

Good to know though, appreciated 👍

3 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

Way over the top and not a patch on Timbo's....................!!!!!!

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

Not as nice as yours either....

Thank you - I'm flattered!

This must have been done by Iconic themselves, as the only other supply only one I know of is all black - means the bodywork will be really nicely finished as their work is top notch

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Hey this is the 987 forum. That's a 986.

Haha so it is.... hands up who noticed as i didn't.... worth even less in that case.

• 1 month later...

....any updates on this Timbo.....it's been a while..?

Had 10 days in Icmeler and as good as my holiday was I couldn't wait to get back and drive my 2.9, and, she didn't disappoint as she nears 158k !!