Project 387

timbobalobox

THAT LOOKS BLOODY GORGEOUS!!!!

Congrats @timbobalobox - great choice and the painters look like they've done a stunning job too - for me the right mix of vintage and modern for the car

I will claim victory on the colour option as i'm pretty sure i was closest with the offerings made earlier in the thread :)

@Menoporsche's interior idea is great - break up the black to avoid it becoming too dark and losing the details. You could also add some matching green carpet with black overmats, again just to break it up a bit and bring in a suggestion of the exterior colour without being too much.

What's the next milestone you have?   

I have just seen the video which I missed last night. Looks even better and the tobacco tints within the gold are more discernable which only adds to the interplay between the shape, light and colour. Very inspired and thoughtful choice.  Clearly, much admired and enjoyed already.

• Thanks 1

A touch of gold, lovely - looking forward to seeing daylight photos of it.

Coincidentally this Lamborghini I just painted has a lot of gold in it.  Looks Kermit like, but where the light hits it really reflects as gold.  Couldn’t replicate it for the picture, there’s gold in the mix but it was too subtle to show up.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 11:08 AM, Mattman42 said:

THAT LOOKS BLOODY GORGEOUS!!!!

Congrats @timbobalobox - great choice and the painters look like they've done a stunning job too - for me the right mix of vintage and modern for the car

I will claim victory on the colour option as i'm pretty sure i was closest with the offerings made earlier in the thread :)

@Menoporsche's interior idea is great - break up the black to avoid it becoming too dark and losing the details. You could also add some matching green carpet with black overmats, again just to break it up a bit and bring in a suggestion of the exterior colour without being too much.

What's the next milestone you have?   

Thank you :)

Once it's all back together I'll have play around with some interior ideas - if I could get some matching trims or get some of sprayed would be good.

MOT is probably the biggest milestone, then I can get out for a drive again!  I'm hoping the weight of the body hasn't had too much of an effect on the performance.

The parts I'm most unsure of at the moment are fitting/covering the tonneau and speedster humps, and working out how to stop the error on the automatic headlight adjusters (which are obviously no longer there!).  I've bought some resistors which should do the trick 🤞

On 4/1/2023 at 12:00 AM, iborguk said:

Interior...

That looks 😎

Certainly a nice match with the exterior.  One of cars Iconic have just finished (a 3.4 987 I think) had a wooden steering wheel - on the photos it looked pretty good, but I think a lot of the interior would need changing to make it look less modern.  Unfortunately I didn't see it in the flesh!

Guess what got delivered this morning :) :) 

IMG_5270

FF288576-501D-4AC0-B976-D6232EE8874F

With a jump start it bounced into life straight away, however the battery is completely dead without running so needed to push it into the garage as it was about to start pouring down with rain!  

There's no rubber on the boots lids yet, so they'll fit better once on.

I've got to get some stuff done for work today, then hoping to get some time on it this evening and most of tomorrow 👍

Speedster humps are almost done, as is the number plate light holder and front valance - I'll pick these up soon, but I've got plenty to be getting on with!

• Like 7

Hooray...she's home and it's a Bank Holiday too so she'll be finished by Tuesday....? ( kidding obviously )

Can't imagine how keen you are to get stuck in.

Fab news indeed and best of luck.. looking forward to more updates.

Si.

Edited by skoosh1970

6 minutes ago, map said:

@timbobalobox - that colour looks spectacular in natural light.

You should be over the moon with it.

Good. Work. Sir.

👏

Indeed in that natural light it reminds me of a friends DB4 GT Zagato that he bought a few years ago. 🤩

• Like 1

Looks even better in the light of day. Can't wait to see it with wheels and the humps.

Incidentally, I was wondering what wheels you have gone for? Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I don't remember seeing it. I was also intrigued by the fitting of the Speedster Humps. As you can only have them on with the roof down, I presume they are fairly easy to off and on? 

On 4/7/2023 at 10:04 AM, maybe said:

Looks even better in the light of day. Can't wait to see it with wheels and the humps.

Incidentally, I was wondering what wheels you have gone for? Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I don't remember seeing it. I was also intrigued by the fitting of the Speedster Humps. As you can only have them on with the roof down, I presume they are fairly easy to off and on? 

Thank you, it's amazing the difference it looks in different light.

The wheels will be very similar to this - I'm debating about getting the centres powder coated in gold to match the badges, it might look a bit bling though :D

Capture

The humps hold down the three piece tonneau covers and have a push stud release on one end, the other clips under the roll bar.  The five pieces then fit in the frunk so you can still get the roof up ok as per the original car - the total process is unfortunately a bit more of a faff than unclipping the latch and holding a button, but I think the humps make the look!

A small weekend update...  With it being Easter and kids/family commitments I couldn't get more than during the dat on Friday on it, so only managed to get a start on lots of bits and pieces.

Fitted the grill and indicator, with the headlight just balanced in place until I work out how they can be fixed.  Badge glued onto the bonnet handle and again just held in with friction until the nuts turn up today (missing from the original delivery)

IMG_5281

Masking up to drill (so it doesn't risk cracking/slipping) and lots of measuring/templates to ensure I don't put a hole in the wrong place!  I found I lost a load of time here, which is frustrating as I never get as much done as I wanted to.  The two holes are for the driving lamps - one with a captive nut for the bracket, the other for the wiring (with a metal pipe insert to neaten it up!)  I also messed around for a while trying to make a nice solution for the exposed wiring for the lamps.

IMG_5275

Fibre glass battery cover - needs a hole drilling for the washer filler, then trimming with the leather.  There's also a smaller cover for the wiper mechanism.  Under the bonnet will be trimmed with the same leather (dependent on my upholsterer skills...)

IMG_5277

As mentioned before I needed to spin the bonnet latch through 180 degrees, so this needs a new handle fabricating and slot cutting through the front to open the second stage.  Also need to work out the motor location/set up for the first stage

IMG_5276

This took ages to sort!  Once the rear rubber seal was on I had to sort the latch out - the one supplied wasn't high enough so had to fabricate a new once out of some box section I luckily had from another project.  You won't see it once the boot liner is back in, but I'll still paint it black just in case.  I also need to tweak one of the hinge holes to bring this gap on the left much tighter - shouldn't take too much.  You can also see the (dusty) brake lights in and a nice shiny grill placed in to check the fit (original 356).  I'll drill a couple of drain holes and use the pipe inserts to finish

IMG_5282

Started to mess around with the tonneau covers - I had cut one before it went off for paint, and fits quite well.  I hadn't realised originally that the plastic grill from the roll hoop needed to pop out, once did that it went in much nicer.  Middle section needs cutting back a bit, then these three panels will be trimmed in leather.  You can also see a strip of flat black leatherette I was working with to cover a small 15mm exposed area of fibre glass under the windscreen - it's a real fiddle to get right, but I think if I don't cover it, it will bug me forever :D 

IMG_5280

That's about it for this weekend unfortunately - need to nip out today to collect the door cards, front valance, humps etc from the painters that I left there last week.

Have a good week 👍

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Great post. 6 different photos, 4 different colours :D 

It really does vary quite a bit!  

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

Are you sure those headlamp stoneguards are legal? - way cool though - vintage racer look.

I was up until now 🤣🤣

I've done some googling with mixed reviews - seems that they can't reduce the light by more than 15%, which they might to be honest...  I'll check with the MOT place when I get to that stage (I also fully expect it to fail the first time due to some grey areas, so the first test for me will be for clarity) Fortunately they only hook on at the top then secure with the bottom bolt.

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

I admire not just the quality of the work but the patience in taking the photos and writing up what you did.

Thank you - I've enjoyed documenting for my own benefit, so the fact others are interested in the project is great! 👍

Will you have to go down the IVA route rather than a normal MOT, as you have modified the bodywork, lights etc? Or is it still sufficiently “boxster” to avoid the extra testing? i.e. is it classified as a kit car now?

1 hour ago, timbobalobox said:

... I'll check with the MOT place when I get to that stage (I also fully expect it to fail the first time due to some grey areas, so the first test for me will be for clarity)...

When I built my Westfield in the late 80's it was a doodle, no SVA.  When it came to finishing my Fisher Fury in 2005 I was told that you take it to the first SVA to pick up your "to-do" list.

That's even taking into account of all the bits which are added to take into account of the test.  Borrowed hideous mirrors, headlights on weird mounts, standard Sierra steering wheel.  The tester even said "I suppose all this stuff will fall off the car once you've passed" 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BBB said:

Will you have to go down the IVA route rather than a normal MOT, as you have modified the bodywork, lights etc? Or is it still sufficiently “boxster” to avoid the extra testing? i.e. is it classified as a kit car now?

Iconic produced the kit to still be sufficiently Boxster - i.e. only body panels are cut and not chassis rails etc.  It's close, (very close) but still within tolerance apparently.

I'll soon find out when it goes for MOT I guess 🤣

• Like 1