Project 387

timbobalobox

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Small point, but are you keeping the calipers red?  Not quite a period detail.

I wondered if I should change them, then assumed I wouldn't need to as the new wheels would cover them - however you can see them through the gaps!  

21 minutes ago, timbobalobox said:

I wondered if I should change them, then assumed I wouldn't need to as the new wheels would cover them - however you can see them through the gaps!  

....perhaps a gentle reminder of what's underneath..........?

Thank you all for the kind comments :) 

On 5/5/2023 at 1:31 PM, skoosh1970 said:

Are you thinking of painting the centre console trim  / transmission tunnel body colour..?

Potentially - I've been thinking of ways to incorporate the interior to the outside, and I think this could be a subtle way of doing it 👍

On Friday the electrician came over to clear the codes - however the airbag one has come back on so we think both door airbags might have a loose connection.  The cards need to come off again anyway as it's throwing up an error to do with the door module (I also bonded the door strip too close so it fowls on the window 🤬🤬 - teach me for just assuming the profile underneath was correct 🤦‍♂️).  I also got round to fixing the radiator vent with copious amounts of epoxy! 

One of things I wanted to get done was line get the boots trimmed out again as it feels one step closer to completion!  Decided taking the bonnet off was the best way;

IMG_5452

It's been nearly a year since I took it all apart so it's been a puzzle to get back together!

Whilst the lid was off drilled and mounted the wiper jets - I plan on replacing these with chrome ones, but I just needed to get them working for the MOT.

IMG_5461

You could see a small strip of fibre glass body beneath the rubber which is usually painted black - as you can see the weave through the paint, instead I cut a thin piece of leather and stuck this round which neatens it up a bit;

IMG_5462

The top part is under the battery cover so is well hidden.

A bloody fiddly bit!  As it goes I need to do some more work around the latch cover so didn't attach the leather yet;

IMG_5463

Bonnet off, ready to be lined - I tried in situ, but it was making life too difficult for the sake of a few bolts

IMG_5451

I cut a piece of card as a template, mounted the leather to this, then glued it to the lid.  I've since tidied the edges which needed the rest to be dry before re-stretching.  Note patented weights ;) 

IMG_5467

I was having a bit of a mare with it all today, but was cheered up by finding these :D

IMG_5471

Now the radiator vent is fixed, on went the arch liner and wheel, so I could spin it round in the garage again

IMG_5465

And back on the floor, peaking out 👍

IMG_5466

Then with a break in the rain;

IMG_5469

To be honest the couple of days it's been a real slog with one thing or another going wrong, almost wishing I never started :( 

Then looking from this angle in particular made me think it might have been worth it...

IMG_5472

From the front, with the lights I put in on Friday;

IMG_5470

Before dropping it to the floor I needed to tidy some of the wiring and get the body liners on - I always struggle with the perspective in the photos, as that is exhaust is definitely central :D  I'm looking for different options for the tip (I'll also get it made up properly instead of a flexible piece), but for now I actually quite like the simple bean tin 😎

IMG_5468

There were a few codes that came from it being off of it's wheels for so long and also the battery being disconnected/reconnected so many times, so the steering sensor needed recalibrating.  This is as simple as driving a few hundred yards - I waited for a break in the rain and went up and down our road.  It was great to be driving it again!  It warmed up a treat and sounded great.  Unfortunately I couldn't go much faster than 10 mph as it's a cul-de-sac 🤣🤣  Regardless, the codes cleared 👍

Got it back in the garage and put the bonnet back on, after getting the frunk liner and protector in;  it still needs a bit of fettling around the top where I'm not 100% happy with the lining, but it's getting there and starting to look like a finished car again!

IMG_5473

Windscreen is due to go in on Thursday this week and the electrician is hopefully coming back the same day to clear the airbag codes once I've checked the connections, so all being well MOT on Friday and if (BIG if) it passes I'll give it a run to the Porsche AGM on Sunday.

Have a good week all :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is it worth you investing about £200 in an iCarsoft or similar OBC which can clear airbag, ABS and a few other codes as well as the normal OBC engine/emissions codes?  Saves the auto electrician coming round and you can work to find whit's causing it by clearing in as you work the fault.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Is it worth you investing about £200 in an iCarsoft or similar OBC which can clear airbag, ABS and a few other codes as well as the normal OBC engine/emissions codes?  Saves the auto electrician coming round and you can work to find whit's causing it by clearing in as you work the fault.

Hadn’t realised that 👍👍 

I thought it was only Durametic/PIWIS that would do it, and they’re around £500 (plus I’d need to know what I’m doing)

I’ll have a look, appreciated 

1 hour ago, timbobalobox said:

Hadn’t realised that 👍👍 

I thought it was only Durametic/PIWIS that would do it, and they’re around £500 (plus I’d need to know what I’m doing)

I’ll have a look, appreciated 

I got this one

ICarsoft POR V2.0 – Professional Diagnostic Tool For Porsche (ljmcardiagnostics.co.uk)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

Yep - I have notified the DVLA of the colour change though! 👍🏼

And hopefully the value change too! You need an agreed valuation, surely? If you write off your 2005 Boxster, you'll be lucky to get more than 7K.

4 hours ago, McDonald said:

And hopefully the value change too! You need an agreed valuation, surely? If you write off your 2005 Boxster, you'll be lucky to get more than 7K.

Plus it is a touch modified...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, McDonald said:

I think some insurers with offer a GAP type protection for a premium which I’m wondering about doing, with an agreed value of what the others sell at from Iconic - I need to have a proper look into it!

• Like 1

As the MOT was booked it was a bit of a rush to get everything done...  This included taking the door skins off and re-fitting the airbags, and whilst they were off re-sited the driver's side door top panel and glued.  Also tested all of the lights, fitted the latch cover etc etc

Windscreen was installed yesterday and thankfully it fitted like a dream!

IMG_5485

It looked quite fiddly and seeing as you only get 7 minutes to work with the adhesive, I'm pleased I left this to the pros!

Wipers on and working

IMG_5487

I've since adjusted them so they sit a bit lower.

Normal plates back on for the MOT - I actually don't mind it as much as I thought I would!

IMG_5488

It's back to the painters tomorrow (Saturday) to mess around with the gaps a bit more and to shave a bit off the spoiler (then repaint)

IMG_5489

Very satisfying to cross these off :) This was the list of jobs that I made when I got it back beginning of April

IMG_5486

Then off it went this morning for the MOT...

which it passed 😎

I got a call to go and collect it sharpish as it started pouring with rain and they didn't want to put it outside (didn't realise it had a roof!) It looks a bit weird with the top on :D but kept me dry on the way home.  

So tomorrow is a few (a lot) of finishing touches, a good clean, then should be able to take it on Sunday to the AGM 👍

Come and say hello if anyone else is going :) 

• Like 7