Project 387

timbobalobox

On 4/11/2023 at 5:20 PM, moospeed said:

When I built my Westfield in the late 80's it was a doodle, no SVA.  When it came to finishing my Fisher Fury in 2005 I was told that you take it to the first SVA to pick up your "to-do" list.

That's even taking into account of all the bits which are added to take into account of the test.  Borrowed hideous mirrors, headlights on weird mounts, standard Sierra steering wheel.  The tester even said "I suppose all this stuff will fall off the car once you've passed" 😅

Had similar on an MOT years ago - mate had 2 FS1E's - one really nice (that was being fixed after an unfortunate incident with a Panda Pepsi lorry) and a ratter that had seen him through.

We took both for an MOT - nice one passed no issue, ratter failed on rear tyre, lights, buckled rear wheel and rear shocks - MOT tester said " I am going for lunch, if you want to borrow my tools and swap the bits over while I am gone I will retest when I get back - save you going all the way home... if you buy my lunch for me"

10 quid well spent ( was a few years ago)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Paul P said:

Had similar on an MOT years ago - mate had 2 FS1E's - one really nice (that was being fixed after an unfortunate incident with a Panda Pepsi lorry) and a ratter that had seen him through.

We took both for an MOT - nice one passed no issue, ratter failed on rear tyre, lights, buckled rear wheel and rear shocks - MOT tester said " I am going for lunch, if you want to borrow my tools and swap the bits over while I am gone I will retest when I get back - save you going all the way home... if you buy my lunch for me"

So a FS1E was wiped out by a Fizzy ?

Not sure I ever rode a legal one :rolleyes_anim:

Morning all,

Managed to dedicate a bit of time to it this weekend, lots of time consuming jobs that don't really look like much unfortunately!

A huge chunk of my time was taken up with working out how to fit the headlights as there was no mechanical fixing other than the bolt on the bottom.  I plan to fix a captive nut there to hold the base (hole visible on the photo), but had to suss out the top.  Various cardboard templates brought me to this with some galvanised plate I had leftover from another project;

IMG_5311

I had planned to bond this to the underside of the shell once the middle was cut out, but after fabricating it realised it didn't actually solve the issue... <facepalm>

Looking online to see how the originals fitted, I needed to create a protruding lug at the top so bought some right-angled aluminum from Wickes and made a bracket to bond at the top - so far so good, but haven't been brave enough to take the light back off yet to check 🤣  I've only done one side so will get some photos of the other bracket when I get to it.

It wasn't without drama however...  When trying to fit the headlight my hand slipped and knocked the vent pipe hard enough to make it weep <another facepalm>  I haven't brought myself to look at it in detail yet, so stuck a bucket underneath and added something else to the to-do list!

IMG_5317

Also fitted the filler lid and in doing so the small details of the kit are now showing up... i.e. the lugs don't fit from the new hinge (paint + tolerance/thickness of fibre glass vs steel) so needed to modify the hinge and holes to suit, then bonded it in.  End result was acceptable

IMG_5318

Also spent some time working on gapping the tonneau cover, which for the life of me can't get right!  I've added a load of spacers underneath but it's still sitting low, so I think I might adjust the micro-switches as it sits perfectly if you stop before.  You can just about see the little 'x' marked for the speedster hump - I can't do this until the tonneau is solved otherwise I risk it not fitting correctly, and there's very little tolerance if I want it tight.

IMG_5320

Also spent an age gapping the boot/spoiler - frustratingly I don't think the painters had the spoiler in when they worked on the bootlid gaps, so it was a nightmare to get close.  I'm still not happy so might have to take it off to do it again and shave some off then get it repainted.

On the plus side I got the lights working (side, indicators and brake), then couldn't resist getting the plate on too :DReverse, fog and number plate light aren't working for some reason so need to put a bit of time to working that out too.

IMG_5321

Marked up and mounted the wing mirror - I had to order some convex glass as a replacement so they function a bit better! (and yes I did manage to draw on the bodywork with the sharpie <ANOTHERfacepalm>

IMG_5319IMG_5322

Pleased with the end result though.

IMG_5323

It didn't go completely smoothly - there was a small hole to fit the bolts through the door skin, where I managed to drop the bolts three times inside the door 🤣.  Having put all of the door card back on the drivers side, it all needed to come off again to retrieve them!   Turned out they were coming off anyway as the hinge restrictor had to go on.  Unfortunately someone (not me this time!) had broken the electrical connector that plugs onto the door lock module, which meant I had to fashion a way to keep it in place - friction alone wouldn't work as they're weather sealed so it naturally wants to pop out again!  Lost a couple of hours messing about with this.

Visibility is good though 👍

IMG_5324

Spent a while mounting the front driving lights which needed a wire sleeve fashioning as the existing wiring wouldn't reach into the car - I extended them by soldering/heatshrinking them together for weather sealing.  I can't make up my mind if I like the 'Outlaw' type sleeves - it doesn't help that the lights are the same so the wire comes out the same side, not sure if my OCD can cope :D  They're not lined up yet (they look even more on the p1ss in this image, but in real life they're not so bad)

IMG_5325

Pretty much it for this weekend - lots of facepalm moments, lots of fiddling around on time-consuming bits and lots of head scratching.  Getting there slowly!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, timbobalobox said:

Morning all,

Managed to dedicate a bit of time to it this weekend, lots of time consuming jobs that don't really look like much unfortunately!

A huge chunk of my time was taken up with working out how to fit the headlights as there was no mechanical fixing other than the bolt on the bottom.  I plan to fix a captive nut there to hold the base (hole visible on the photo), but had to suss out the top.  Various cardboard templates brought me to this with some galvanised plate I had leftover from another project;

IMG_5311

I had planned to bond this to the underside of the shell once the middle was cut out, but after fabricating it realised it didn't actually solve the issue... <facepalm>

Looking online to see how the originals fitted, I needed to create a protruding lug at the top so bought some right-angled aluminum from Wickes and made a bracket to bond at the top - so far so good, but haven't been brave enough to take the light back off yet to check 🤣  I've only done one side so will get some photos of the other bracket when I get to it.

It wasn't without drama however...  When trying to fit the headlight my hand slipped and knocked the vent pipe hard enough to make it weep <another facepalm>  I haven't brought myself to look at it in detail yet, so stuck a bucket underneath and added something else to the to-do list!

IMG_5317

Also fitted the filler lid and in doing so the small details of the kit are now showing up... i.e. the lugs don't fit from the new hinge (paint + tolerance/thickness of fibre glass vs steel) so needed to modify the hinge and holes to suit, then bonded it in.  End result was acceptable

IMG_5318

Also spent some time working on gapping the tonneau cover, which for the life of me can't get right!  I've added a load of spacers underneath but it's still sitting low, so I think I might adjust the micro-switches as it sits perfectly if you stop before.  You can just about see the little 'x' marked for the speedster hump - I can't do this until the tonneau is solved otherwise I risk it not fitting correctly, and there's very little tolerance if I want it tight.

IMG_5320

Also spent an age gapping the boot/spoiler - frustratingly I don't think the painters had the spoiler in when they worked on the bootlid gaps, so it was a nightmare to get close.  I'm still not happy so might have to take it off to do it again and shave some off then get it repainted.

On the plus side I got the lights working (side, indicators and brake), then couldn't resist getting the plate on too :DReverse, fog and number plate light aren't working for some reason so need to put a bit of time to working that out too.

IMG_5321

Marked up and mounted the wing mirror - I had to order some convex glass as a replacement so they function a bit better! (and yes I did manage to draw on the bodywork with the sharpie <ANOTHERfacepalm>

IMG_5319IMG_5322

Pleased with the end result though.

IMG_5323

It didn't go completely smoothly - there was a small hole to fit the bolts through the door skin, where I managed to drop the bolts three times inside the door 🤣.  Having put all of the door card back on the drivers side, it all needed to come off again to retrieve them!   Turned out they were coming off anyway as the hinge restrictor had to go on.  Unfortunately someone (not me this time!) had broken the electrical connector that plugs onto the door lock module, which meant I had to fashion a way to keep it in place - friction alone wouldn't work as they're weather sealed so it naturally wants to pop out again!  Lost a couple of hours messing about with this.

Visibility is good though 👍

IMG_5324

Spent a while mounting the front driving lights which needed a wire sleeve fashioning as the existing wiring wouldn't reach into the car - I extended them by soldering/heatshrinking them together for weather sealing.  I can't make up my mind if I like the 'Outlaw' type sleeves - it doesn't help that the lights are the same so the wire comes out the same side, not sure if my OCD can cope :D  They're not lined up yet (they look even more on the p1ss in this image, but in real life they're not so bad)

IMG_5325

Pretty much it for this weekend - lots of facepalm moments, lots of fiddling around on time-consuming bits and lots of head scratching.  Getting there slowly!

Looking cracking and thanks for the update as always. 

• Like 1

Looking good and taking shape..... admire your work ethics and firmly believe that patience and time will stand you in good stead.......... great thread is this.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dropping bolts - as someone said on a hardtop spinlocks question, poke the bolt through a plastic bag, get the thread to bite, then rip off the bag. 

Humps - I'm a heathen but can you run it for a month without the humps, see if you like it? I feel they are so much form over function...

Keep at it :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

Dropping bolts - as someone said on a hardtop spinlocks question, poke the bolt through a plastic bag, get the thread to bite, then rip off the bag. 

That is genius!  Definitely doing that next time 👍

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Humps - I'm a heathen but can you run it for a month without the humps, see if you like it? I feel they are so much form over function...

Very much form over function :D  I'll see how the rest of things are going and fitting them in and around the other bits - it could make a difference to the look being back on it's wheels too

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

When you've stopped with the outside stick PCCM+ in it as well ;)

I do need to change the speakers as I'm less than impressed with the Bose set-up - it sounds like the speakers have blown and there is so much distortion!

I have to try and stop the project creep however 🤣

44 minutes ago, timbobalobox said:

I do need to change the speakers as I'm less than impressed with the Bose set-up - it sounds like the speakers have blown and there is so much distortion!

I have to try and stop the project creep however 🤣

if you don't replace with the correct speakers, you'll blow more things.  Bose run at an unusual Ohm of 2.5 (standard car is 4ohm.  

I found adding some sound deadening behind speakers and in sub enclosures hugely improved the sound of the 80's Bose system.

The best thing is to rip it all out and modernise, however that is more work than just plug n play as you'll have to rewire the amp leads.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Patt said:

I found adding some sound deadening behind speakers and in sub enclosures hugely improved the sound of the 80's Bose system.

Thank you, I'll give that a go first - seems a good option prior to replacing lots of other bits (especially when the door cards/inners are off anyway)

On 4/12/2023 at 6:59 PM, Paul P said:

You only need a screwdriver, to swap the number plates. ;) 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

I have a full set of Bose speakers for sale ;)

Actually, looking at your pics...are you sure yours are Bose? You don't have the sub shelf

Appreciated!  When I bought it, it was advertised as having Bose (originally one of my wish list, thinking it would be quite good) and has the stickers on the door.

Neither of which are guaranteed of course to be actually a Bose system! What other tell tale signs show it is Bose? I from what others have said I imagine this will affect what speakers I replace with

6 minutes ago, timbobalobox said:

Appreciated!  When I bought it, it was advertised as having Bose (originally one of my wish list, thinking it would be quite good) and has the stickers on the door.

Neither of which are guaranteed of course to be actually a Bose system! What other tell tale signs show it is Bose? I from what others have said I imagine this will affect what speakers I replace with

I am not sure if Bose without the sub shelf was an option, I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to give you an idea

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, timbobalobox said:

I think Bose always came with the shelf. One option , spend fiver and use the forum Vin decode service to give a view on the original options on the car.

• Thanks 1