Project 387

timbobalobox

10 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

It's really hard to see what I want at the moment with it up on stands and not being on the ground with the wheels - the one that grabbed my eye on YouTube originally had these carbon Akrapovic tips on, which whilst the shape is good I'm not sure I'd have the same name/finish so visible

Rear

You'll figure it out and it isn't like paint, you can do it, not like it and change it at a relatively low cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

Dunno - lots of them are.....

Chesil do the conversions or sell you a kit for a 356 that uses a original Beetle as the donor car (I think the floorplans are the same, or very close)

I was thinking about one for a while as I love the classic look of the 356 (and can't afford a real one :D), but it'd always be based on 50s/60s technology (as is the 356 to be fair).  When I saw the Iconic kit I figured it was a good compromise, whilst still keeping some performance!

...on the decal dilemma... it's worth noting that the white part is the backing for the red sticker part so it won't look as large as it appears so probably won't be too invasive ..?

I'd be tempted to purchase a smaller one and place it under the side repeater or on the bottom front corner of the doors , same place Porsche offer the model number sticker perhaps..?

Just my 2p worth.

21 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

Chesil do the conversions or sell you a kit for a 356 that uses a original Beetle as the donor car (I think the floorplans are the same, or very close)

I was thinking about one for a while as I love the classic look of the 356 (and can't afford a real one :D), but it'd always be based on 50s/60s technology (as is the 356 to be fair).  When I saw the Iconic kit I figured it was a good compromise, whilst still keeping some performance!

All good points. Back in the days of dune buggys there was a saying - once a beetle always a beetle. Even if there were a way to crowbar a boxster engine in there which there probably isn't it would be boxster performance on beetle suspension. Which would be 'fun'.

1 hour ago, skoosh1970 said:

...on the decal dilemma... it's worth noting that the white part is the backing for the red sticker part so it won't look as large as it appears so probably won't be too invasive ..?

I'd be tempted to purchase a smaller one and place it under the side repeater or on the bottom front corner of the doors , same place Porsche offer the model number sticker perhaps..?

Just my 2p worth.

You're right - I had crudely cut it out, so there's a good 5-10mm to come off. 

I might see about getting a smaller one as the printed ones aren't expensive.

51 minutes ago, MickH said:

On the Pegasus discussion, I'm not a fan either, but if you are going down that route have you considered a gold one to match the badges?

I think a proper one could look quite smart - ideally I wanted to get all these little bits done all together, so I can it's 'it's finished'! but in the real world these touches will take a bit longer

Spent a bit of time the last couple of evenings getting the passenger door back together (only to find the actuator was no longer opening the door, so had to take it all apart again 🤬

On the plus side managed to get the rear tonneau cover and humps on with lots of cutting/sanding to get right;

IMG_5403

With the vents in too (in hindsight wondering if I should have painted the inside of the wells black so it doesn't look like what it is, i.e. fake!?)

IMG_5404

Then got to trimming with scissors and copious amounts of double sided tape;

IMG_5405IMG_5406

Ordered the tyres which I can hopefully collect this week/early next, then I can almost, almost, see the finish line!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BBB said:

Sorry if you’ve explained this before, but does the roof still work? I presume you can remove the speedster humps, then does it just operate as normal?

The humps have a quick release pin then the panels are in three sections so all store in the boot 👍  Not quite as quick or convenient as just the original roof unfortunately! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timbobalobox said:

Black wrap is a decent shout!

Or two massive baked bean tin exhausts :D 

Whatever you use in there will have to have a degree of heat resistance, these flat 6 engines knock out a lot of heat with the cats also right next to them.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 9:20 AM, timbobalobox said:

Not at all - I've been in two minds about it so a while, particularly on the green paintwork.  On the right car I think it can look good;

Capture4

They weren't expensive (~£7.50!) so was happy to buy and try.  Easier to leave them off than bu55er the paint!

Catching up on the updates - possible simple answer is to get smaller Pegasus stickers? those look a little large for where you would like to use them?

On 5/2/2023 at 4:53 PM, Mattman42 said:

Catching up on the updates - possible simple answer is to get smaller Pegasus stickers? those look a little large for where you would like to use them?

I'm still not sure about them - I like the idea of them,  but probably wait until it's on it's wheels to see if I'll get some smaller ones.

On 5/2/2023 at 6:49 PM, JonSta said:

What about putting the very small mobil horses on the speed humps? On the side just behind the roll bar?

I think this is the best location to be honest, around the side repeater looks a bit cluttered

• Like 1

1 minute ago, timbobalobox said:

I'm still not sure about them - I like the idea of them,  but probably wait until it's on it's wheels to see if I'll get some smaller ones.

I think this is the best location to be honest, around the side repeater looks a bit cluttered

You don't have to fit them.  They are only ads for Mobil oil.  I'm not fitting Mobil 1 stickers to my 986 just becasue...

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

Bit of an update for this week so far...

Got the tyres from Costco on Saturday (full set of PS4 installed for £800 seemed pretty good), which meant I was desperate to get them on!  A few things needed doing first, such as arch liners, fixing the radiator vent pipe I broke, fuel pipe etc

Fuel pipe out (10pm on Friday night :D ) This needed cutting then a new pipe joins the new filler

IMG_5409

Also gave the door strips a few coats of paint

IMG_5410

... and glued one on to see how it went

IMG_5424

You can also see the tape holding the triangles that cover the old wing mirror mounts

Slightly better view, plus a dab of glue holding the side repeater on

IMG_5425

Also marked out the logo on the front - it took a bit to get right and match the original as much as possible

IMG_5411

and then holes drilled and placed on (not glued at this point) - you can also see the hole cut for the bonnet release lever.  That took a lot of working out, but this seemed the best solution as it's the only place you can reach after it pops the first bit open.  I've got a sleeve to cover this as well so it doesn't look so home made!  I'm also going to line the hole with a grommet

IMG_5421

This is fuel pipe that joins the two together - it's mounted a bit closer to the body to follow the original so the liner fits better.

IMG_5418

Drain holes drilled and metal pipe inserts in for the boot lid

IMG_5426

A quick check to see how the wheel looks (without the centre)

IMG_5419

And then with a few more bits and pieces taking up a load of time (as usual :D), couldn't help but get all of the wheels on tonight and back on the ground!  (almost)

IMG_5435

A better view on the side vents which I picked up today - one needs a bit more sanding/filling/repainting to be honest 

IMG_5436

That's all for the past week - this week the auto-electrician is coming on Friday to clear the codes, windscreen should be installed on Thursday next week, then with any luck MOT the day after...  With even more luck it'll be ready for the Porsche AGM on Sunday (not sure if I'll be welcome with something so messed with 😆)

Enjoy the rest of the week all

• Like 3