Where do you put a UK sticker on a 986?

½cwt

I've got a couple of European trips coming up this summer in the 986.  My number plates do not have and don't have space for the blue strip on the left and also have the Porsche Classic plate holders.  I want to comply with the rules to give one less excuse for being challenged or stopped, or am I paranoid?  Where have people placed the white oval country sticker on their cars?  The curvature of the rear bumper seems to offer a chance for a scruffy application with creases.

Ideas please?

9 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

umm... in the big space to the left of the number plate? i think you're overthinking this! 😅

also you can get different sized stickers, a smaller one would go there no problem.

I was thinking of of setting the plate to the left a bit and putting the sticker to the right on the flat part of the plate recess over the towing eye hole cover.

31 minutes ago, Quinten said:

Time to upgrade to some nice pressed metal plates? ;) 

No.  Only recently got new plates to replace my old scabby ones that came with the car and to fit in the holders, the old ones had GB blue strips stickers on them.

Ebay are a cheap resource for these stickers-many sellers have 3 sets for the price of two-as they are stickers it might be possible to trim them to the space you have available without falling foul of the Euro rules.

Edited by charlieboy2608

3 hours ago, Quinten said:

I hope you know that you're supposed to display UK instead of GB since last September?  See https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

Why? 

“Changing the national identifier from GB to the UK symbolises our unity as a nation and is part of a wider move towards using the UK signifier across government. We notified the UN of our intention to make these changes in July and have been working with the sector to implement the change,” a spokesman for the Department of Transport said.

It's good to know that our taxes are being spent on something really worthwhile, and that the DOT has been "working* with the sector".  Do they also plan to recode all multi-currency systems in the world to change GBP to UKP?

* for very small values of working

3 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

See the blue sticker on the left hand side of my number plate, the same as Steve and Bob's cars to the right hat

CtbCMVI.jpeg

That's what  had before, but blue strip is not accepted except for EU and EEA countries unless a standard specification on your country's plates like it is in Turkey for example.

6 minutes ago, Required said:

Why? 

“Changing the national identifier from GB to the UK symbolises our unity as a nation and is part of a wider move towards using the UK signifier across government. We notified the UN of our intention to make these changes in July and have been working with the sector to implement the change,” a spokesman for the Department of Transport said.

It's good to know that our taxes are being spent on something really worthwhile, and that the DOT has been "working* with the sector".  Do they also plan to recode all multi-currency systems in the world to change GBP to UKP?

* for very small values of working

UK is technically correct, as Great Britain is only the mail large island of England, Scotland and Wales, not even IoW, Hebrides, Shetlands Orkneies, Scilly etc.  The group of islands is the British Isles which includes all the above along with Ireland and Isle of Man.  So the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the correct title.   It does seem to me to be a Brexit political point to the EU that NI is part of the UK and should not be considered differently.

🤓

Edited by ½cwt

I've never bothered with a GB sticker for my last few trips to Le Mans but this year I'm thinking I probably do need to have a UK one. I'd go for the magnetic variety except that there is absolutely nowhere it will stick to around the rear end of a Boxster! The standard size UK plates l think look awful so I'll probably compromise with a smaller, more discrete version.

1 hour ago, Gdaybruce said:

I've never bothered with a GB sticker for my last few trips to Le Mans but this year I'm thinking I probably do need to have a UK one. I'd go for the magnetic variety except that there is absolutely nowhere it will stick to around the rear end of a Boxster! The standard size UK plates l think look awful so I'll probably compromise with a smaller, more discrete version.

union jack wrap aka Austin Powers would do the trick:)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

That's what  had before, but blue strip is not accepted except for EU and EEA countries unless a standard specification on your country's plates like it is in Turkey for example.

Did you in fact mean to say that a blue strip with an EU circle of stars is not accepted? The gov.uk website linked above states that a UK identifier with the Union flag is acceptable to drive outside the UK, and as far as I know the 'UK' and the Union flag are normally on a blue background, just like the 'EU' and stars were. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

Did you in fact mean to say that a blue strip with an EU circle of stars is not accepted? The gov.uk website linked above states that a UK identifier with the Union flag is acceptable to drive outside the UK, and as far as I know the 'UK' and the Union flag are normally on a blue background, just like the 'EU' and stars were. 

I was not fully informed, however from GOV.UK my car is in the 4th category so requires a UK sticker, or I could put a blue strip with Union Flag and UK letters on it as an alternative, that said I've not seen this on many plates yet.  Note the Spain, Cyprus and Malta info, although only the first of these 3 is likely to apply to most taking their car to Europe.

Driving outside the UK

If your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a UK sticker.

However, you will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a GB identifier with the Union flag
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK.

I've a magnetic one inside the bootlid........ Never been stopped in 15 years of driving in france and if I was i'd act dumb and say sorry, i'll put it on now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Etienne.sf said:

Being French myself I spend 2 weeks in France every summer. I don’t have a sticker and no GB plate. Never been stopped 😊

I have a feeling, if you were stopped, you'd be able to negotiate. 

My wife is a fluent French speaker (colonial thing).  My French isn't terrible but the more positive response she gets compared to what I get is marked.  

I've been stopped in Spain and France nearly ahem a handful of times and my plate had a black strip and a Porsche crest. They don't really care. 

18 minutes ago, mike597 said:

I have a feeling, if you were stopped, you'd be able to negotiate. 

My wife is a fluent French speaker (colonial thing).  My French isn't terrible but the more positive response she gets compared to what I get is marked.  

Female??

I did talk my way out of a situation in France back in 1994 when doing the Beaujolais Run in my rather broken French.  They tried to have me for not stopping at a STOP at a crossroads between two RNs hat I'd rolled over at about 20 mph on a fully clear moonlit night.  Ended up with 'Plus lentement s'il vous plait monsieur'.