Is it really that bad?

718as

25 minutes ago, Malcolm E Box said:

Not even going to click on the video link.

I absolutely love my 718S and I know many others who do too, So therefore not "EVERYONE" hates the 718S.

Only pr*cks like them hate any car, it encourages even bigger pr*cks to click on their moronic video.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

Only pr*cks like them hate any car, it encourages even bigger pr*cks to click on their moronic video.

3 hours ago, Terryg said:

I got less than 5 minutes in and gave up, total cr*p.

😃

• Haha 1

What I do hate is this clickbait society that feels it has to make a stupid outlandish statement like that to get views, I think most rational people try not to hate anything,. Making a statement like that about what is no doubt an excellent car (though clearly not as good as the 9897.2🙄) is pandering to the lowest common factor, which in today's world equates to money.

I actually thought it was a pretty accurate review tbh .They did explain the reason ( EU emissions etc ) of the 4 banger .

New driven by constant moving EU goal posts isn’t always better .VAG I feel are getting lazy and too reliant on parts binning theses days……driven by the bean counters ,Eg look at the Uris and A8 , the Maccan 2.0 i golf GTi engine , the Bentley V8 4.0 turbo shared with Audi and some others .

I know Porsche did this flat 4 so at least it’s not appearing in a Seat / Skoda …..at the moment ! 

The  new boxsters  are lardy and moving away from the modern day incarnation of the old real 718 spyder .Again crash testing and marketing demands from future and existing markets…..they need physical  volume to cram the kit expected in .

So relentless 4 inches wider here , 5 inches ( or what ever it really is ) there , with the every newer modal .

VFM

Majority of U.K. new cars and other markets , the U.K. being the worst example are sold on “  monthly’s “  .We have had a decade and 1/2 of cheap money , low interest rates and a throw away , none saving culture .A huge proportion for today folks on the never never than say 20 yrs ago .So the depo point they made is really none applicable as is the headline top figure .This is because the SE will just reconfigure the punters “monthly “ when it’s chopped back in .

The rebalancing of rates , the more expensive finance costs + gen cost of living crisis unfolding around the developing world will pr*ck this new car   “monthly “culture.It starting now .Check out dealer stock numbers with OPCs .Notice they are rising ? 

Interesting  they put a flat 6 in the spyder which is where the 718 got its name from .Thank god someone at Porsche fought for that ! 

I know folks hate criticising others s wheels , I get that but within the pork community there is a vast choice at a huge range of price points .Something for everyone sure but newer and greater £ does not necessarily mean better , it’s not a linear relationship it’s got peaks and troughs , as the guys pointed out the 4 banger with its lag / motor sound is in a trough .

• Like 1

My 718 base, pulls like a train compared to my previous car (a 987.2) , which I also loved.

Maybe I'm not too demanding but I've not noticed lag.

I'd previously driven 718 and 718S's and I'd got over the noise thing in 10 mins, due to the big grin on my face,  but hey it's not for everyone.

Again we like what we like...YMMV.

• Like 2

The switch to a flat 4 was always going to be a culture challenge (Porsches have had them before...) given the prevalence of the flat 6 in the Porsche sports models.  I bought my 986 because it was powered by a flat 6 and something different that I'd not had before, I'd already had 5 flat 4 turbos, but they were all Subarus, and S6, V6, I4 and I looked a V5, I5 and V8 options before settling on a Boxster, so an unusual approach to getting one.  However, I'm sure a 718 S even with a flat 4 is a far superior car interns of performance and handling down to 3 more generations and 20 years more development of the mid-engined convertible concept.  I've not had the benefit of driving a 718 with a flat 4 or any other motor come to that, but progress is not always in teh direction those in the past would like.

The bigger problem @Boxer boy notes is how the market will be sustained now the cost of credit and the pressure on incomes is rising.  Premium brands could get their wings clipped a bit over the next few years and this will drive more parts bin raiding, so at least be thankful that a flat-4 was even commissioned for the 718 to keep it 'special'.

As for the YT vid above.  Hate is an inflammatory and divisive word and makes those who both agree and disagree click to find out more.  Clever marketing, poor journalism?  I'd suggest we each make our own minds up and stop feeding the beast by giving more clicks.

The original 2.5 986 needed revs, the "S" gave more torque but still really wanted to be above at least 3k rpm preferably 4k rpm The 987.2 I have now is easier than my 986 S but still doesn't really kick until 4k rpm, I have driven a 718 Cayman on the track and noticed no lag at all, but then I was actually driving it, I suspect these guys have no idea about how to get the best from a 718.

Pick a popular brand, say something controversial in the title and watch the money come in.

I'd seen that youtube video before, what a pair of knobs...

I love my 718, compared to my previous 987.1S, the performance is leagues ahead. Far safer to overtake in the 718 and never noticed any turbo lag tbh

The F6 did sound a bit better when you were "making progress" but sounded like a sewing machine at 60-70 cruising.

Normal 718 bashing.... just like the online review autocar or auto express....spent the entire article sl*gging off the F4 engine and then said the 718 was the best sports car:woot:

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to me that those who are unhappy are comparing the 98 with the 982. 

Those of us who look objectively find little to fault. 

This is a good, if a bit silly in parts, car and sausage review: 

My last German Performance Car was a an AMG C63: a brilliant (sounding) engine in a terrible chassis.

The Boxster S is almost the opposite: a so-so (sounding)engine in a brilliant chassis.  

Judge a car (and most things) by what it is, not what you think it should be.