PDK has stopped engaging

Tarun

Started the car, everything feels normal, car is revving fine, but when I put it in drive or reverse, car doesn't move. Tried paddles as well, same issue no movement. Used it a week ago and car worked perfectly. Came back from 10 year service at CPO 2 months ago and no issues were reported. I have called roadside assistance, and they are coming in 3 hours - i'll keep this thread updated. But any ideas why this would happen? Googling, i see that some folks have had the issue and then restarted their cars and it was fine again. Not the case for me so far.

Posted a video here, tho not sure folks outside facebook can see - https://www.facebook.com/reel/1208305090078811/?group_id=2546880302285176&s=group

LOL... this is now fixed. AA guy came and told me to give it more beans because he thought the brakes were stuck.....and turns out he was right. I big THUNK later, the car moved forward and seems to be fine. I can see the spot in the brakes where it was stuck to the calliper as well. AA guys says maybe its cause of the moisture and other damp conditions in my parking garage. TIL that brakes can get stuck so bad revving till 2k doesnt move them wow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I haven't used the handbrakes on my cars for a good few years now, unless they are parked on a steep hill.  Manuals are left in 1st and autos/pdks are left in 'Park' which puts a transmission brake on.

A little embarrassing for you @Tarun but always best to be sure. :)

So that wasn't a Boxster but a daily which I'd bought from a main stealer a few days before.

Must be disk oxidisation they said.

That's funny it's the rears and they are drum brakes says I.

Took it back and it got new rear new shoes which sorted it.

Funny that.

Edited by iborguk

On 3/18/2023 at 3:20 PM, Tarun said:

LOL... this is now fixed. AA guy came and told me to give it more beans because he thought the brakes were stuck.....and turns out he was right. I big THUNK later, the car moved forward and seems to be fine. I can see the spot in the brakes where it was stuck to the calliper as well. AA guys says maybe its cause of the moisture and other damp conditions in my parking garage. TIL that brakes can get stuck so bad revving till 2k doesnt move them wow.

Given the potential consequences of a broken PDK, I bet you were pleased with the outcome!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

I always take the BGTS for a quick drive after giving it a good wash and pressure washing the calipers for this very reason.  l  Left sat for a while and it's rained, neds a bit of encouragement to break the binding.

^This^

I had the same thing with my 718, I'd made the mistake of washing the car without a quick drive afterwards to dry the brakes.

Car was parked in the garage for over a week, I didn't think I'd left the handbrake on.

Put it in drive, car didn't move, more revs....nothing. No room to attempt to reverse. In the end I had to attach a tow rope and drag it out.:slap:

Lesson learnt:wacko:

Mines been in the garage waiting for a clutch for over a month, with handbrake on. I could be in for a nasty surprise, and with a poor clutch I might not have the engine to pull me out :(  Guess I should take Araf’s advice and put it in gear in future. 

38 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Mines been in the garage waiting for a clutch for over a month, with handbrake on. I could be in for a nasty surprise, and with a poor clutch I might not have the engine to pull me out :(  Guess I should take Araf’s advice and put it in gear in future. 

Might be less of a problem on your warmer drier climate.  Just don't yank it on.  Mine lives outside on the flat and I only tweak the handbrake on.

This explains a lot.

Not quite the same but sounds like I had similar issue a few weeks back.

A horrible scraping noise as I took her out, so got out, looked under the car,  couldn't see anything, checked the discs/calipers to see if I had a stone stuck in them, couldn't see anything.  Decided to see if it 'fixed itself' 🥴, still worrisome scraping noise while driving. Pulled over deciding I'm going to have to go back home and call out 'the man'. Pulled out again to drive back home and heard the most horrendous 'thunk' and then she was fine.

I thought it was all the brake dust in the holes in the discs, so got the pressure washer on them and cleared them out. I haven't had the same issue since. But last Sunday I did hose her down and didn't drive more than the few yards to put her back in the garage and I haven't been out in her since....

....I have just dashed out to the garage and taken the handbrake off!

Edited by TheUnderfiend
missed a bit

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting I leave the handbrake off when I'm parked on my drive in Mt 986 and leave it in 1st the few times I forgot I have had to accelerate to free the brake.

I'm getting a 981 soon and it has an automatic handbrake and only is disconnected when you pull away.

I won't be driving it much in the winter how can I avoid this problem 🤔 

14 hours ago, John2000 said:

Interesting I leave the handbrake off when I'm parked on my drive in Mt 986 and leave it in 1st the few times I forgot I have had to accelerate to free the brake.

I'm getting a 981 soon and it has an automatic handbrake and only is disconnected when you pull away.

I won't be driving it much in the winter how can I avoid this problem 🤔 

The electronic handbrake has a switch and it can be disengaged manually.

Edited by iborguk
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, iborguk said:

The electronic handbrake had a switch and it can be disengaged manually.

The auto-releasing handbrake is one of the few things I don't like about the 981. It works fine, but it still feels wrong to me (but I can put up with it, of course.) First World problems and all that...☺️

2 minutes ago, Davey P said:

The auto-releasing handbrake is one of the few things I don't like about the 981. It works fine, but it still feels wrong to me (but I can put up with it, of course.) First World problems and all that...☺️

"Progress" along with non removable batteries in devices like phones and laptops. 

• Like 1

Wait, yall are autoreleasing handbrakes? Don't yall pull the button on the lower right side of the dash to release / put it on before and after driving? 

Separately, based on comments above, I'm not also not putting the handbrake on anymore when I park in my normal parking bay - i just rely on the PDK being in P. 

3 minutes ago, Tarun said:

Wait, yall are autoreleasing handbrakes? Don't yall pull the button on the lower right side of the dash to release / put it on before and after driving? 

Nope, just drive off and the handbrake releases on it's own, as if by magic,.  Who knew that was a "thing"...? 😄