Porsche Boxster Virgin

Porschevirgin1968

Hi, I am looking to purchase a Porsche Boxster in the lower price range of 6 - 8k. I have seen a few nice ones out there including a couple of 3.2, what are the main things I should be looking out for, before parting with my money, this will mainly be a summer car as I drive a German built car that has a 4 spoked star in the middle of the grille. 

m4YHqXy.jpg

Bit off topic but could not resist, pre war VW badge. Good luck with the hunt. General feeling here is service history trumps low miles.  You need to know about the IMS bearing issue. Leaks into the car from blocked roof drains fries the electric control box under pass seat. Generally speaking allow about £2000 on top of purchase price to fix niggles and get good. Other wise just buy a nice colour and cross your fingers 🤞🤣🤞🤣

16 minutes ago, Topbox said:

m4YHqXy.jpg

Bit off topic but could not resist, pre war VW badge. Good luck with the hunt. General feeling here is service history trumps low miles.  You need to know about the IMS bearing issue. Leaks into the car from blocked roof drains fries the electric control box under pass seat. Generally speaking allow about £2000 on top of purchase price to fix niggles and get good. Other wise just buy a nice colour and cross your fingers 🤞🤣🤞🤣

Thanks for that, got my eye on this one and going to check it out tomorrow. https://www.magnificentmotorsltd.co.uk/cars/porsche/boxster/24v/912204/

Condition and history over mileage.  If the car has sat for a time there are issues that can build up, but remember these cars are all least 18 years old.  You'll need to budgeted about £1.5k over purchase price to sort the niggles and maintenance items over the first 18 months to 2 years.  It is highly likely you'll need a suspension refurb as well, which once done makes them night and day better.  Aircon condensers rot out as they gather up lots of grit and dust from the road and remain wet.  Clutch and flywheel are expensive as are exhausts so check if a clutch has been done and take a good look at the seams on the rear silencer.  Remember a lot of people sell because a big ticket items needs doing so when were discs and pads last done, how old and worn are the tyres (check the week/month code on the side walls for ideally less than 5 years old (low mileage so tend to crack and go hard before wearing out so tread depth is not the best guide).  Front engine mount can perish too so feel for jerky clutch or stiffer gears (although eh 6 sped is pretty baulky when cold anyway)

Post up any question and you'll usually get a quick, informed answer.  Also if you are handy with the spanners and have a decent tool kit they are pretty easy to work on, except where steel corrodes into alloy, and you can save yourself a fortune paying someone else to do a lot of the work.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 3

Thanks so much so far folks, much appreciated, I used to have an old Z4 and part ex'd it, miss the speed and the roof down, cant say wind in my hair as I don't any 🤣

Just come across these 2 see below

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307079399479?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=CA6 4EU&radius=100

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305277841666?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Porsche&model=Boxster&postcode=CA6 4EU&price-to=9000&radius=100&year-to=2023&fromsra

6 minutes ago, Gunscrossed said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307079399479?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=CA6 4EU&radius=100

That would have cost a lot new, some expensive options there, most useless now but still quite cool.

Its a nice looking car, seems a bit cheap is it not though?

11 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Its a nice looking car, seems a bit cheap is it not though?

Tiptronics tend to cost a bit less than manuals  You'd need to want an auto to get one, although many that have them do like them. 

The 'infotainment' fitted is now so old as to be obsolete, but there are some good double din replacement options including one from Porsche if you have a lot of money.... I hope the spoiler was raised for the pics and isn't stuck up.

Edited by ½cwt

Great advice above. Ignore mileage, we have a few here over 130k and at least one past 200k. Have a look around and note quality or lack of, then ask for receipts as much as service history. At 20 years old a lot needs replacing but could already have been done, saving you money or hassle. Or you could buy a really cheap one as a project. Suspension components probably the main one. Sound systems are usually average at best. Xenon/litronics good if your eyes are over 30. Exhaust usually stainless but we now hear more about seams giving out at that age. Aircon condensers die quickly if there is no mesh added to protect them.  Forget IMS discussions, the fastest way to kill a Boxster temporarily is by not checking drain holes are clear, and flooding the stupid alarm control, and permanently by thinking you can drift them like a front engined car and spinning it in the wet. 

Get it right and see why they won so many awards :) 

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Xenon/litronics good if your eyes are over 30. 

Standard lights are average full stop. 

Not so much of an issue if being used as a weekend toy but if Xenon's are available on a car that's a good thing.

44 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

And as I said to someone else, the brakes feel weak as they are under servoed, but do an emergency stop and you should find they work very well. 

Particularly the 3.2 S model which has the 911 Carrera 2 brakes on it.

One more note on gearboxes; if you go for a 2.7 which has the 5 speed 'box you need to stir the gears more to get the best and keep the revs up.  You can be a bit more lazy in the 3.2 with the 6 speed 'box and still 'make good progress'.

Beware, I bought the first one I actually looked at and drove...  Fortunately I've not regretted it.

Great cars. But as has been said they are all getting on a bit now, a lot of them will have been bought and used as cheap fair weather runabouts with little or no maintenance/servicing.

Same advice to anyone buying any old car, if you can do the work required yourself then they are quite cheap to run, once you start paying someone else to do it it can call get very expensive very quickly.

Almost every nut and bolt is likely to be seized and the Rear Main Seal will be shot, if its not then it soon will be if the car has been standing for any length of time.

Brake lines can rot, check old MOTs to see if they have been mentioned as Fails or Advisories.

Exhaust rots and can split on the seams, expensive if you want original or an original shaped replacement.

12 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Thanks so much so far folks, much appreciated, I used to have an old Z4 and part ex'd it, miss the speed and the roof down, cant say wind in my hair as I don't any 🤣

Just come across these 2 see below

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305277841666?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Porsche&model=Boxster&postcode=CA6 4EU&price-to=9000&radius=100&year-to=2023&fromsra

The second car is in Glasgow and just about 15 minutes drive away from me. I could go and look at the car for you if you like. I am not an expert but I have owned my 986 for 5 years now and have done loads of work on it myself, full suspension refresh, changed all fluids etc. so I do have a bit of knowledge. Just let me know if you want me to go and have a look 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Thanks for that, got my eye on this one and going to check it out tomorrow. https://www.magnificentmotorsltd.co.uk/cars/porsche/boxster/24v/912204/

Looks like Low maintenance over the last few years as the MoT has successive advisories for tyres... What else hasn't been done "because I've only done a few miles this year"?

28 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

What else hasn't been done "because I've only done a few miles this year"?

If it’s anything like the ones I looked at (and eventually bought) pretty much everything. ☹️

7 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

The second car is in Glasgow and just about 15 minutes drive away from me. I could go and look at the car for you if you like. I am not an expert but I have owned my 986 for 5 years now and have done loads of work on it myself, full suspension refresh, changed all fluids etc. so I do have a bit of knowledge. Just let me know if you want me to go and have a look 

Thank you very much for that, I had planned to go north today, however there were more cars to view over the north east, I spoke to the guy yesterday and he said it just had £1400 spent on it and has full service history, they flew down to London to buy it in. According to him its been sold twice and 2 people have backed out of it already, price was non negotiable even though no trade in and would be paying cash.

3 hours ago, greenman986s said:

Looks like Low maintenance over the last few years as the MoT has successive advisories for tyres... What else hasn't been done "because I've only done a few miles this year"?

Well I went to view this car today, it drove and sounded amazing checking the service history it has not been serviced for 4 years, the guy has offered to service and give it a new MOT and 6 months warranty for £6500. Its clean and tidy, he had it washed before I got there, so checked al the carpets inside, no damp, roof and spoiler work fine, only downside was poor service history over last 4 years and a few marks on the roof, but when checking other convertibles today, they all had marks in the same areas.

Well, the car below is deffo a project car, its as rough as f*ck, filthy, wheels are rusted, panel was missing off the fuse box, had a flat battery so could not start it or check any of the electrics. I did have a chuckle when he said it was £3995 Thursday night and people kept phoning and asking what was wrong with it, so he put it up another grand last night and now he has been inundated with interest!!!! 

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-67463664/?i=3&m=ds

Edited by Porschevirgin1968