Information on a car I intend to purchase.

Vince Taylor

13 hours ago, Vince Taylor said:

Update.

first registration I mentioned I’ve decided not to proceed. 
But I have another option, 

vehicle registration DE10NTV, anyone know of this car ? 

Mot history is full pass status so a good start apart from the usual tyre tread depth and " brake pipes covered in grease " and mention of the inner brake disc surface which is very very common on these.

Any links to the car...?

Just out of interest, why didn't you proceed on the other car..... gut feeling..?

Edited by skoosh1970

6 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

Mot history is full pass status so a good start apart from the usual tyre tread depth and " brake pipes covered in grease " and mention of the inner brake disc surface which is very very common on these.

Any links to the car...?

Just out of interest, why didn't you proceed on the other car..... gut feeling..?

Car just wasn’t right for me, like you say a gut feeling. 
But this one is a cracker, I’m not giving any links as yet, but I collect it on Saturday! 
Only issue I need help with is the little piece of elastic that pulls the roof behind the trim needs replacing. 
I’ve just watched a couple of YouTube videos and it looks straight forward, but I can’t sew 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Vince Taylor said:

I’ve just watched a couple of YouTube videos and it looks straight forward, but I can’t sew 😂

Can you operate a stapler...? I think you can use this method instead of sewing the elastic 👍

Good luck with the collection mate, no better feeling than picking up a Porsche, that's for sure ☺️

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Can you operate a stapler...? I think you can use this method instead of sewing the elastic 👍

Good luck with the collection mate, no better feeling than picking up a Porsche, that's for sure ☺️

🤣 I think I can manage a stapler, my good lady might be better qualified 🤣
I agree no better feeling, I can wait. 

17 minutes ago, Vince Taylor said:

🤣 I think I can manage a stapler, my good lady might be better qualified 🤣
I agree no better feeling, I can wait. 

...just wait until you hear the Porsche howl over 5000rpm 😁

3 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Torx is a T15 iirc and if you have to take the screw out (you may not) stick a towel under the area in case you need to catch anything...

....no need to remove I don't think, just loosen if memory serves me right..?

34 minutes ago, Vince Taylor said:

Car just wasn’t right for me, like you say a gut feeling. 
But this one is a cracker, I’m not giving any links as yet, but I collect it on Saturday! 
Only issue I need help with is the little piece of elastic that pulls the roof behind the trim needs replacing. 

Just done it on mine - agree with @Davey P - stapler method is by far the easiest and quickest - just don't tell the seller that....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skoosh1970 said:

....no need to remove I don't think, just loosen if memory serves me right..?

You could just put a slit in the elastic and loop it over a loosened scre but I removed and poked it through. The elastic then stops the screw falling. You may need to experiment by moving the point the screw goes through the elastic to get the tension just right to pull the hood bead into the channel every time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

And buy a set of those stubby screwdrivers that have a coulple of small Torx drivers from the pound shop. Ideal for taking out the torx screw that holds the bottom end of the elastic.

Don't think DaveyP even had a stapler. He only got as far as buying the elastic.😁 

@Davey P would have had his valet do the sewing if the chauffer couldn't cope with the stapler. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vince Taylor said:

Just watched another video, and the chap didn’t even remove the screw. 
He just stapled both ends onto the old elastic. 
Anyone gone this route ? 

The elastic on mine had totally perished. It’s genuinely an easy job to replace the elastic with some new button elastic and roughly sew the new stuff on, then adjust the tension over the screw by stretching it to the right length.

something like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buttonhole-Waistbands-Maternity-Knitting-Crafting/dp/B091D9DZK6

Edited by BBB
link added
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BBB said:

The elastic on mine had totally perished. It’s genuinely an easy job to replace the elastic with some new button elastic and roughly sew the new stuff on, then adjust the tension over the screw by stretching it to the right length.

something like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buttonhole-Waistbands-Maternity-Knitting-Crafting/dp/B091D9DZK6

Thanks BBB 👍