What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

13 minutes ago, Steve Laming said:

Loads of car for the money. Well done that man. Mines Midnight Blue/Black Leather. 85k. Will try to upload a pic, when I know how !!

Flikr then paste the link 👍🏻

Get the bypass mod done ASAP, sounds like a proper V8 then 😁😁

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2019 at 9:04 PM, stevemag said:

Well

Fitted the hardtop......winter is here!

Fitted second set of wheels as the set on the car are coming off for refurbishment 

But I'll still be able to use the car ( weather conditions permitting 😃)

Fitted mine the other, love the way it changes the look of the car, somebody at work said the other day, you’ve got 2 Porsche’s.

ive had the headlining and plastic trim all covered in Boxster red alcantara on the HT and it a lovely place to sit, feels very luxurious, quieter, warmer just feels different, so in away it is like having 2 cars.

if the weather is good, it only takes a couple of mins to take the HT off so not an issue if you get one of those rare sunny winter days

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 3:20 PM, Darkstar said:

Replaced the bulb in the dashboard that illuminated the clock. 

I've still got to do mine........with my xxxl hands and shaking right hand...?it may never get fixed :vsadv:

1 hour ago, the baron said:

ive had the headlining and plastic trim all covered in Boxster red alcantara on the HT and it a lovely place to sit, feels very luxurious, quieter, warmer just feels different, so in a way it is like having 2 cars.

Saw that when you posted pics.  Very Jaaaaag ;) 

2 hours ago, the baron said:

Fitted mine the other, love the way it changes the look of the car, somebody at work said the other day, you’ve got 2 Porsche’s.

ive had the headlining and plastic trim all covered in Boxster red alcantara on the HT and it a lovely place to sit, feels very luxurious, quieter, warmer just feels different, so in away it is like having 2 cars.

if the weather is good, it only takes a couple of mins to take the HT off so not an issue if you get one of those rare sunny winter days

Oh go on! Shoe more pics!! 

Had new front springs, top mounts and bump stops fitted by Porshacare, plus a service.  Also learned that if I had kept the key in the ignition when changing the battery a few weeks ago I wouldn’t have deafened myself with the alarm!

2 hours ago, kevs said:

.  Also learned that if I had kept the key in the ignition when changing the battery a few weeks ago I wouldn’t have deafened myself with the alarm!

What was that you said? 

Common learning curve for new owners, I did it too!

Chopped up a lovely shower curtain and used it as an additional membrane for the  drivers door to hopefully cure my wet door card. 

Fitted the bonnet struts that I've had here for ages as fed up with the thing banging my head.! 

Decided to clean my rads out today. First time in my ownership of the car, 12 months. Not surprised by the amount of debris, including cloakroom tickets, someone used to look after the girl well on nights out. The two outside ones were full of leaves but the centre one was mainly bugs and seeds. Used a vacuum, airline and a stiff upholstery brush to clean them. A lot of small grit in the fins and took over an hour to get them thoroughly clean. The two aircon rads have been replaced within the last few years but the cooling rads are starting to corrode in the fins. Made some mesh grids for the vents to help stop the large debris, turned it in to a longer job than I anticipated though mainly waiting for the black paint to dry. Re fitting was easy after I removed the headlights for ease, should have done it to start with. A screw fixing underneath was damaged and a flat fixing missing, unfortunately in the same area due to being grounded at some point. Blew out the brake discs, cleaned the callipers, replaced the wheels, copper greased the wheel bolts, torqued them up to 130nm, locking nut in the glove box. Job done.

IxsrkRf.jpgVrmwW4V.jpglI4WcDY.jpgwzzo2Gd.jpgDoes any one know what the two pipes coming to the centre in the pic below are and do?

GIHsndW.jpg

I'll have alook at the weekend to see if the top of the pipe appears  in the headlight housing. I was tempted to blow air up them while the bumber was off but decided against it in case I did some damage. Don't think I'll take the bumber off again though.

Took her in for tacking since getting front left rim straightened. Front and rear.both slightly toe out and a slight rear left camber adjust (pothole?). Now all aligned. 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Took her in for tacking since getting front left rim straightened. Front and rear.both slightly toe out and a slight rear left camber adjust (pothole?). Now all aligned. 

Don't forget you will need to get her retacked in about 100-200 miles just to be sure :laugh:

On 11/11/2019 at 9:36 AM, Hewey said:

Decided to clean my rads out today. First time in my ownership of the car, 12 months. Not surprised by the amount of debris, including cloakroom tickets, someone used to look after the girl well on nights out. The two outside ones were full of leaves but the centre one was mainly bugs and seeds. Used a vacuum, airline and a stiff upholstery brush to clean them. A lot of small grit in the fins and took over an hour to get them thoroughly clean. The two aircon rads have been replaced within the last few years but the cooling rads are starting to corrode in the fins. Made some mesh grids for the vents to help stop the large debris, turned it in to a longer job than I anticipated though mainly waiting for the black paint to dry. Re fitting was easy after I removed the headlights for ease, should have done it to start with. A screw fixing underneath was damaged and a flat fixing missing, unfortunately in the same area due to being grounded at some point. Blew out the brake discs, cleaned the callipers, replaced the wheels, copper greased the wheel bolts, torqued them up to 130nm, locking nut in the glove box. Job done.

wzzo2Gd.jpgDoes any one know what the two pipes coming to the centre in the pic below are and do?

Interesting colour and loving the garage :rocks:

On 11/11/2019 at 9:36 AM, Hewey said:

Blew out the brake discs, cleaned the callipers, replaced the wheels, copper greased the wheel bolts, torqued them up to 130nm, locking nut in the glove box. Job done.

@Hewey  If you're not aware - when your battery goes dead, and you want to pull the bonnet release cable behind the wheel arch, you will curse the locking nut in the glove box of the locked car. Happens here with worrying regularity.

More and more here dump the locking nuts for that reason and replace with normal ones, no-one can remember the last time wheels were stolen.

At least re-route the emergency cable to somewhere else (behind the tow eye is common).

HTH :)

Bought a gorgeous set of 18" 996 GT3 style alloys 😍 from @Patt this evening mounted with part worn winter tyres, not quite 986 profile and widths but near enough for one season's use 😁. Can't wait to fit them over the weekend as well as running away from the wife and the inevitable subsequent crucifixion😬.

Wasn't planning on buying rims but as I happened to be working and staying near by and the price was reasonable, I couldn't resits blowing a big chunk of the winter work budget.

Will post pics once on the car.

46 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Bought a gorgeous set of 18" 996 GT3 style alloys 😍 from @Patt this evening mounted with part worn winter tyres, not quite 986 profile and widths but near enough for one season's use 😁. Can't wait to fit them over the weekend as well as running away from the wife and the inevitable subsequent crucifixion😬.

Wasn't planning on buying rims but as I happened to be working and staying near by and the price was reasonable, I couldn't resits blowing a big chunk of the winter work budget.

Will post pics once on the car.

You do realise the rear tyres are nearly 70mm greater in diameter then stock.?