What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 12/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, Sanky said:

Fitted the Osram Xenon look sidelights and some Night breakers.  Definitely an improvement over the old bulbs

Before

JLRRg3I.jpg

After

cD2d2Cv.jpg

before night breakers

boUDKcb.jpg

after

BgnER0M.jpg

have you got a link to the bulbs you used please?  i’ve never been happy with mine at night

Finaly finished my water pump and thermostat replacement job. Picked up some coolant and distilled water, and today dropped the deionized water that I'd flushed the system with. Jacked the front up and got out as much as I could but the coolant drain plug had been rounded and nothing I had could get it undone🙄

Anyway...refitted pipes and dropped the car, jacked up the rear to get the coolant tank as high as possible. Filled her up and started the engine. Kept topping up as the level dropped until it got to the fill lines. Bleed valve open, kept an eye on the secret menu temp readout on the AC unit.

As it approached 70 I topped up again and popped the cap on. The car eventually got to about 100 and the side fan came on, around 106 the front fans came on. Temp dropped, repeated the sequence. It was freezing later in the evening so it had took some time to get up to temp....

No leaks, no coolant blowing out everywhere. Switched off, checked the level, watched the F1. Afterwards took her for a spritied blast round Lincoln about 24 times, noted the gauge barely got above 80-85, I did fit a low temp stat. Goes really well, pulls well, sounds ace without the knackered water pump. In the morning I'll recheck the level and shut the bleed valve. 

Hopefully thats the end of this matter and I can finally drive the car without worrying it might blow up😄

Edited by Knobgoblin
  • Like 1

Noticed last night that my reverse lights and parking sensors weren’t coming on. 
checked the fuse but that was ok. 
jacked it up this morning and removed the reverse sensor connector shorted that out and everything worked so it was the switch. 
removed it and put a meter on it and it was dead. 
some brake cleaner down the switch and I could feel more resistance so back on the meter and it’s working ok. 
all back on, washed and ready to go!

2 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

Noticed last night that my reverse lights and parking sensors weren’t coming on. 
checked the fuse but that was ok. 
jacked it up this morning and removed the reverse sensor connector shorted that out and everything worked so it was the switch. 
removed it and put a meter on it and it was dead. 
some brake cleaner down the switch and I could feel more resistance so back on the meter and it’s working ok. 
all back on, washed and ready to go!

my reverse lights don't come on when i put the car in reverse. how hard is it to get to the switch and to change it?

3 hours ago, Jord said:

my reverse lights don't come on when i put the car in reverse. how hard is it to get to the switch and to change it?

they are in different places on the 5 or 6 speed manual too.

My 6 speed wasn't too difficult on my driveway, in fact was the very first job I did on the car when I got it.  Don't lift it too high as you need to reach on top of the gearbox to disconnect the loom plug and choose the space for the arc of the spanner carefully or you'll be doing half a flat at a time.  IIRC I used a ring spanner to loosen it then a deep socket.

Mines a 6 speed and it’s the easiest job I have done. 
reversed onto chocks then the switch is at the back of the gearbox by the muffler. A 19mm ring spanner had it off. 
I looked at replacement switches but searching and it seems that they get stuck so try cleaning it out first. 

14 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

Mines a 6 speed and it’s the easiest job I have done. 
reversed onto chocks then the switch is at the back of the gearbox by the muffler. A 19mm ring spanner had it off. 
I looked at replacement switches but searching and it seems that they get stuck so try cleaning it out first. 

mines a 2000 s manual so hopefully the same - ill order up a switch and give it ago.

The switch is expensive so I’d try cleaning it first. 
also I looked up Audi/vw switch on eBay and there is one that looks identical for  £7 but you would have to change the connection and that was about £3. 
depends on your preference 

16 hours ago, ½cwt said:

choose the space for the arc of the spanner carefully or you'll be doing half a flat at a time.  IIRC I used a ring spanner to loosen it then a deep socket.

I recently bought a set of ratchet ring spanners - wow they are magical.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I recently bought a set of ratchet ring spanners - wow they are magical.

IIRC unless they are very slim they wouldn't wort on the 6 speed reversing switch as it is slightly recessed in the casting and the ring would be too think on outer diameter, but most useful in many other situations.  Mine worked over time on the recent suspension rebuild I did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patt said:

best tools in the chest, after the extendable magnet for finding that dropped nut.

Definite +1 on the magnet.  Magnetic tipped screwdrivers too.

4 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Sorry to hear that Sazzy......was it properly warmed up? Same place as last year? Did it marginally pass last time?

It was warm and went straight in for its test.

Different place though, the place I took it to last year wanted it for 8am and had it all day which meant it was cold. Only scraped through last year on the second go.  I put it down to it being cold and a known faulty 02 sensor which has since been replaced. 

I know it doesnt have any exhaust leaks as Cotswold confirmed that only 2 months ago. So all a bit of an unwelcome surprise 😔

1 hour ago, Sazzy said:

It was warm and went straight in for its test.

Different place though, the place I took it to last year wanted it for 8am and had it all day which meant it was cold. Only scraped through last year on the second go.  I put it down to it being cold and a known faulty 02 sensor which has since been replaced. 

I know it doesnt have any exhaust leaks as Cotswold confirmed that only 2 months ago. So all a bit of an unwelcome surprise 😔

Not good sounds like a new cats required 😬 Perhaps the Governments tightened the rules in trying to get the lead burners off the road.....

16 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Not good sounds like a new cats required 😬 Perhaps the Governments tightened the rules in trying to get the lead burners off the road.....

God I hope not I can't afford that now so close to Christmas 😪

@Sazzy can you post the data off the emissions report?  Some more expert members might be able to interpret to give you a better idea.  A good Italian tune up (deliberately push the revs and hold higher revs with a good throttle opening) to get all the sensors and cat surfaces hot prior to an MOT can often help if it is only a marginal pass/fail.  Otherwise could be MAF sensor (Bosch £150 new, or second hand for about £30 on eBay, only 2 screws but you need a hollow tip Torx bit to get them out) if not may be the other O2 sensor?  Don't assume cats are shot at this stage.

@Clivescoobydo the 986 is not a lead burner or you will have shot cats....

• Like 1