What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 1/10/2021 at 10:07 AM, JL888 said:

Agreed, I would love to cut out the engine cover an replace and replace it with clear Perspex and LEDs.

Something like similar to one fitted on a Cayman would be amazing.

Porsche Cayman Engine

That is pretty cool, bit wasted on the Boxster due to the roof though

FI9sM80.jpg

fFLEDM7.jpg

EYzFPZM.jpg

I watched a YouTube video by piston Kirk yesterday who showed a mod to speed up the drop of the window as you open the door so that it clears the roof seal  

The top photo shows the before shot and the next one shows a little collar I made to slot under the green sleeve  

final one shows a zip tie to hold it all in place  

it certainly speeds up the drop maybe not 100% but enough I won’t have to keep shouting at my daughter who always forgets to allow a second for the window to drop. 

the hardest part  is getting the green sleeve up. 

On 1/18/2021 at 1:33 PM, Halfordwill said:

FI9sM80.jpg

fFLEDM7.jpg

EYzFPZM.jpg

I watched a YouTube video by piston Kirk yesterday who showed a mod to speed up the drop of the window as you open the door so that it clears the roof seal  

The top photo shows the before shot and the next one shows a little collar I made to slot under the green sleeve  

final one shows a zip tie to hold it all in place  

it certainly speeds up the drop maybe not 100% but enough I won’t have to keep shouting at my daughter who always forgets to allow a second for the window to drop. 

the hardest part  is getting the green sleeve up. 

ive been meaning to do this as mine doesnt drop unless i push it down. really annoying when a passenger doesnt listen and give me time to press the window down button so it clears the seal. the window works fine - its just the initial drop which im sure is me needed to take up the slack in the cable. 

Started up for the first time in 2 weeks.  Battery a little low but just caught.  Must drive it every week to maintain it.  Need to take SWMBO to her COVID jab in the morning (working in NHS not because she's old), what better essential journey to charge up the battery, 20 miles each way and I'm sure a loop to extend it a little.

Before someone suggests, no power point near by to run a CTEK or similar off as it is kept outside.

In the last few weeks I have got it's MOT sorted, considered SORNing it but haven't after a few drives out for food shopping, including today, 5°c in the sun, roof down, even a wave from an R8 driver!

Quick wash and vacuum out when back and I go and ruin it all by thinking I'll replace the boot lid struts that are starting to fail, that'll be a quick and easy job!

Cue one of the little clips being an absolute bastard, a slip of the screwdriver and a scratch. I'm mortified. Off to drown my sorrows in gin.

10 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

In the last few weeks I have got it's MOT sorted, considered SORNing it but haven't after a few drives out for food shopping, including today, 5°c in the sun, roof down, even a wave from an R8 driver!

Quick wash and vacuum out when back and I go and ruin it all by thinking I'll replace the boot lid struts that are starting to fail, that'll be a quick and easy job!

Cue one of the little clips being an absolute bastard, a slip of the screwdriver and a scratch. I'm mortified. Off to drown my sorrows in gin.

I know that feeling when you just wished you’d left it alone. Enjoy the Gin🎉

17 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Good to hear you got the emissions sorted, what did it turn out to be?

18 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Good to hear you got the emissions sorted, what did it turn out to be?

I took it to a different place, he was super helpful, chucked a bottle of Cataclean in (so that was 3 bottles of cleaner in the tank in total with the 2 I'd already put in) and took it up the A30. Passed on the lambda reading being at 1.01

6 hours ago, bally4563 said:

What has he highlighted?

Said he can smell coolant. Nothing on my garage floor though. So he is pressure testing the system and we will go from there. 

Might need to replace ARB and drop links on rear. Surprised they were not done last year when so many parts were changed. 

Is what it is. 

20 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Cancel the braided brake lines. Few more parts need changing for the MOT. At least its mostly new underneath...

10 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

An original replacement. First one lasted 83k, i'd figure it might last the same again

I was thinking the same but the only supplier I can find is Pelican parts in the US unless someone has the bearing number?

3 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

I was thinking the same but the only supplier I can find is Pelican parts in the US unless someone has the bearing number?

Try this for the older double row:

https://123bearing.co.uk/roulement-BD20-17-A-DDUA17NX01-NSK

I was reading an article about seat sag last night so decided to take mine out and have a look. 
The foam had moved and slipped out of its holder a plastic groove on each side. 
I have pushed it all back and now   my seat no longer sags!

D1xGfJm.jpg

cTCx3rN.jpg

OYjcWWR.jpg

Edited by Halfordwill

27 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

Oh, looking at the last pic, the foam had come up and over and you simply pushed it back into place from beneath? 

The foam had come out past the plastic, I tucked it back inside there was a wire with a loop on it that goes across the seat but I can’t see where it attaches. 
it only took 10 mins to take the seat out and it needed a good hover under it, lubed the runners and found 95p! So worth the effort😂

the last pic is after it’s pushed back. 

if it lasts for 6 months I’ll have another go and try  and secure it better. 

Edited by Halfordwill
  • Like 1