What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

.......and she's running again, massive sigh of relief!

Alarm unit looked okay, relays tested working, but reflowed the relays and connector pins anyway. Could actually have been a loose connector (large black plug) from when I previously re-connected the Alarm and couldn't be arsed loosening the seat to get my hands in there and get it on properly. 

14 hours ago, Kay Pee said:

Car died at the shops and wouldn't start. Thankfully not too far from home, got a tow home.

Looks immobiliser related - already fixed other issues (bad keys, loose alarm fuse, new ign switch) and everything works apart from starting. Currently got the immobiliser out and wishing I'd just opened a beer and lit the fire, lol.

2 hours ago, edc said:

If you microwaved them and left them on the side they would still add 45g 😆

OK, I'll bite.  No, I'm being an*l enough to microwave them, dry them on a radiator, reweight them (about 220g when dry) and put them back in the car as a bit of research.  The evidence suggest that in the car which is kept outside with a decent half cover on it I'm gathering about 80-90ml of air borne water in these cold winter months each week.  How much of that is actually in the car as opposed to circulating air is hard to tell but whilst not rigorously scientific it is better then 'They seem to work'.  The fact hat the front and rear screens have not got condensation on them when I remover the cover, which they often did in winter before using these bags, also supports a conclusion that they ahve some useful effect.

Having had a leaky VW EOS that I eventually got dry by using a fan heater and portable dehumidifier I appreciate how much latent water there can be in a convertible and how much better they are when they are dry.

• Like 1

I finished off my Becker Indianapolis head unit install this afternoon. It's in, it works, it looks oem and doesn't have the annoying faulty display that my original MDR-32 had 🙂

35 quid well spent I reckon 😁

z0hyCeB.jpg

Just now, myfirstboxster said:

Decent match , loving the carbon effect !

Thanks, the carbon trim styling was optioned from new and one of things that made me really want this car. I was a little nervous unclipping and unscrewing it to fit the replacement head unit in as it's blooming expensive to replace 😳

56 minutes ago, myfirstboxster said:

Glad I didn't ask if it was dipped !

Hehe, it's not actually solid carbon so probably not a lot different but I guess that's how they did it at the Porsche factory 21yrs ago! 😁

55 minutes ago, Stewart_H said:

Hehe, it's not actually solid carbon so probably not a lot different but I guess that's how they did it at the Porsche factory 21yrs ago! 😁

Real CF is quite hard to 'just break', it is one of its main qualities along with light weight.  If you can see the weave on the back of the component it will be solid otherwise it is a facing or effect.

Edited by ½cwt

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

OK, I'll bite.  No, I'm being an*l enough to microwave them, dry them on a radiator, reweight them (about 220g when dry) and put them back in the car as a bit of research.  The evidence suggest that in the car which is kept outside with a decent half cover on it I'm gathering about 80-90ml of air borne water in these cold winter months each week.  How much of that is actually in the car as opposed to circulating air is hard to tell but whilst not rigorously scientific it is better then 'They seem to work'.  The fact hat the front and rear screens have not got condensation on them when I remover the cover, which they often did in winter before using these bags, also supports a conclusion that they ahve some useful effect.

Having had a leaky VW EOS that I eventually got dry by using a fan heater and portable dehumidifier I appreciate how much latent water there can be in a convertible and how much better they are when they are dry.

My post was tongue in cheek 😂 and only to point out that these bags will absorb moisture wherever they are. I have never bothered but the interesting measure is the difference between a bag sat in the side and a bag in the car. 

2 hours ago, edc said:

My post was tongue in cheek 😂 and only to point out that these bags will absorb moisture wherever they are. I have never bothered but the interesting measure is the difference between a bag sat in the side and a bag in the car. 

Might run that test (one in the car, one in the house or may be on in the car one outside the car but not exposed to direct rain) as you have piqued my curiosity now...  yes, I do have too much time on my hands.

22 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Might run that test (one in the car, one in the house or may be on in the car one outside the car but not exposed to direct rain) as you have piqued my curiosity now...  yes, I do have too much time on my hands.

I would probably do some pre tests. Get the same bag to a certain weight then place in a controlled humidity environment for the same time. Check that the absorption rate is the same back to back tests. Then do the test using the same bag from the same starting weight 😂

10 hours ago, edc said:

I would probably do some pre tests. Get the same bag to a certain weight then place in a controlled humidity environment for the same time. Check that the absorption rate is the same back to back tests. Then do the test using the same bag from the same starting weight 😂

Yep, I did use the word rigorous didn't I.... :rolleyes:

Finished painting grilles (in my home made spray booth which allowed me to paint outside and move indoor to dry and harden off) for my 986 in the factory 9A4 titanium colour that I finally tracked down through paints4u.com.  Got second hand grilles from Steve Strange.  rubbed down, primed, 2 colour coats and a satin lacquer.  I have some black ali mesh coming to fit to the back of the grilles then and once done they will be ready to go in when I get the front bumper resprayed in the near future.  Strip with titanium insert for the windscreen screen surround is £82 from OPC so hopefully it will be restored to proper S spec with titanium detailing in the near future.

nHBNd83.jpg 

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 2

Just spent some time planning/budgeting for work on the car for the year ahead particularly as next weekend seem to be the first decent one of the year (medium range forecast up to about 15°C for Sat & Sun).

Following suspension rebuild last year still have a noise when putting roll into the car, so if necessary after a detailed inspection, replace rear top mounts and rear tuning forks (only bits not done already) - approx. £210 for parts

Strip and paint calipers - bought paint & decals last year but had to do suspension work instead.

Replace hard brake lines as required - bought parts and tools last year but had to do suspension work...

Replace rear plastic screen - from @gary hubbard

Fit S spec screen trim with titanium detail - £82 from OPC

Reinstate cat heat shields which are both missing - £153 from OPC incl. fixings

Get front bumper stripped and resprayed - approx. £250 if I do bulk of prep work

So hopefully a) planned and b) cheaper than 2020!

Paired my phone to the Parrot Bluetooth. Moved it to get my knackered Clio DCI  past it, so I can start pulling the turbo off it when the rain stops. Got an insurance quote of £160 fully comp, £100 voluntary excess ,sdp&c, protected no claims.

The only advantage to getting old is cheap insurance. 😁

Installed a CTEK thingy to make it easy to maintain the battery during COVID Winter:

Went for one of these - it has enough power to handle the Range Rover Sport's big Ah battery:

Osetxbe.jpg

Purchased the Indicator connector and installed like this:

Q7CtFVj.jpg

Cut a small slot into the cover to get to this:

P3lAhii.jpg

Yes it's grubby - if it bothers you enough to comment be bothered enough to come over and clean the whole car....😉

When the froot lid is down the indicator/connector sits here:

5veXqJp.jpg

Which keeps it visible, accessible and out of the way.

It all works well - the indicator needs 30 min or so without any load on the battery to show the level of charge.  It'll go from Green to Amber as you unlock the car, then Amber to Red as you turn the ignition on/start the car.  Once the engine is running the indicator goes back to Green.

Fitted one of these to the Evoque and another is going on the Range Rover Sport - this set up makes battery charging/maintenance so, so easy.

18 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

The only advantage to getting old is cheap insurance. 😁

And being high on the list for the Covid jab. Had mine on Tuesday.

Caution: My Dad drove until he was 90. He was ripped off royally for insurance and drove less than 1,000 miles per annum.