What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

9 hours ago, Crazymind said:

Removed spark plugs. Need new coil pack as well... car on jack for a few days before I can finish the work started today...rocker cover bit dump...1-B7-EBD35-5-B3-E-47-FC-BF3-E-C7584194-FB82-A9-B97-64-C8-48-C2-8735-9-B8-AB4-E44

The oil leaks maybe just the tube o rings

10 hours ago, Crazymind said:

Removed spark plugs. Need new coil pack as well... car on jack for a few days before I can finish the work started today...rocker cover bit dump...1-B7-EBD35-5-B3-E-47-FC-BF3-E-C7584194-FB82-A9-B97-64-C8-48-C2-8735-9-B8-AB4-E44

Bought a set of Beru coil packs for my 981s last week from car parts 4 less £171.18 including delivery😃. Signed up as a new customer and got extra 20% off the already discount price.

1 hour ago, Crazymind said:

good shout mate. Not familiar yet with 986 and Porsche It's new to me the car from last week. Is there any tip to fix this issue or replacing coil pack will fix it? (if leaking from there of course).

You might as well replace the tubes whilst you are there.  Have a look on YouTube for a how to video.

6 hours ago, Sanky said:

You might as well replace the tubes whilst you are there.  Have a look on YouTube for a how to video.

+1 replace the tubes or at least the o-rings on either end. Part number - tube is 996 105 325 52 (or 999 917  788 00), inner o-ring 999 707 343 00 (25.07mm x 2.62mm o-ring), outer o-ring 999 707 215 40 (27.94 x 5.33 o-ring).

Received two dehumidifying bags I had ordered.  I weighed them on arrival as they claimed to be 200g but felt heavier, were in fact approx. 245g so microwaved for 5 mins and put on a radiator to remove the condensed steam from the microwaving, reweighed at 220g.  So if you get some dry them before use.  Now in the car doing their stuff I hope.

13 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

+1 replace the tubes or at least the o-rings on either end. Part number - tube is 996 105 325 52 (or 999 917  788 00), inner o-ring 999 707 343 00 (25.07mm x 2.62mm o-ring), outer o-ring 999 707 215 40 (27.94 x 5.33 o-ring).

Thanks folks. I am 350 quid lighter this evening:)

Waiting delivery of Tubes- coil packs and spark plugs!

that's bad ass advice! Looked at the procedure to replace oil to the 5 speed box/diff, nothing about the 6box. 

Can't locale drain plug without removing the plate. I was wondering if I could unplug the fill plug and pump out the oil instead of opening the drain plug and refill. Anyone done that?

45 minutes ago, Crazymind said:

that's bad ass advice! Looked at the procedure to replace oil to the 5 speed box/diff, nothing about the 6box. 

Can't locale drain plug without removing the plate. I was wondering if I could unplug the fill plug and pump out the oil instead of opening the drain plug and refill. Anyone done that?

In the past I drilled a 30 mm hole to the left (standing at the back) next to the drain hole at the front of the plate

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

In the past I drilled a 30 mm hole to the left (standing at the back) next to the drain hole at the front of the plate

That's radical!  I paid my indy to do the gearbox oil change  a couple of years ago. IIRC £190+VAT including extracting and replacing seized plug.

10 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

That's radical!  I paid my indy to do the gearbox oil change  a couple of years ago. IIRC £190+VAT including extracting and replacing seized plug.

Why remove all the Ali under tray, plus makes it easier for future changes.

On 1/27/2021 at 6:14 PM, ½cwt said:

Received two dehumidifying bags I had ordered.  I weighed them on arrival as they claimed to be 200g but felt heavier, were in fact approx. 245g so microwaved for 5 mins and put on a radiator to remove the condensed steam from the microwaving, reweighed at 220g.  So if you get some dry them before use.  Now in the car doing their stuff I hope.

Good tip.

3 hours ago, JL888 said:

The S had a well deserved Hunters 4 wheel laser alignment. With extra negative camber at the front made a noticeable improvement☺️.

If you like that and feel the need for more then font forget you can Dremel the top mount slot circa 5mm for circa 0.5 Deg extra neg camber. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, edc said:

If you like that and feel the need for more then font forget you can Dremel the top mount slot circa 5mm for circa 0.5 Deg extra neg camber. 

They got is close to -1 degree, which is slightly outside the standard tolerance. Should be good for spirited driving ☺️

22 hours ago, JL888 said:

They got is close to -1 degree, which is slightly outside the standard tolerance. Should be good for spirited driving ☺️

Depending on your driving style you can get up to about -2.5. 

• Haha 1