What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

14 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Sorry to hear your of your 2nd failure, as Ed said check the system for leaks. Rev the car and get someone to stick their hand over the exhaust and track your way around it looking for sooty blow marks. Its probably the original exhaust which in itself is amazing  that they last as long as they do.  

I'm currently reading the Paul Frere book on the history of the Boxster (strongly recommended and reveals some interesting aspects to the car).  The exhaust system is described as dual skinned in rust proof steel.  Seems to be pretty effective at 20 years and 100+k miles for many owners but can't last for every.  Shame it is tricky getting replacements that don't drone and don't cost a fortune.

@Sazzy hopefully just a joint leaking not the silencer itself.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I'm currently reading the Paul Frere book on the history of the Boxster (strongly recommended and reveals some interesting aspects to the car).  The exhaust system is described as dual skinned in rust proof steel.  Seems to be pretty effective at 20 years and 100+k miles for many owners but can't last for every.  Shame it is tricky getting replacements that don't drone and don't cost a fortune.

@Sazzy hopefully just a joint leaking not the silencer itself.

I replaced the back box on mine earlier this year - I nailed it going up an onramp, then noticed a louder rumble at the next lights. The seam had blown just above the outlet. I got a second hand one and had a few small seam splits welded so it should last a good few years again. I could have gone for a new one but didn't want the drone.

After collecting the car 2/12 finally got round to going through the reams of paperwork that came with the car

Found this letter which is really nice to have. Original owner was a Doctor from Dorset!

Also decided at the weekend that I couldn't leave the car out in the rain so took the big decision to sell the Alfa so that the Boxster can go undercover!

I've said it before but this could be a keeper!

[img%5D

Edited by Burt986S
  • Like 1

It passed the MOT.

Minor Defect: Need to replace a number plate lamp.  As long as one is working it's a pass but the failed unit will be replaced in the next day or so.

Advisories: Some possible corrosion spotted on the hard brake lines in a couple of places - the tester was v thorough and highlighted it saying that it was very, very minor.  Will get all the underbody brake lines replaced in time for Spring 21.

The tester said the car was very solid and in fine fettle - "it just needs a wash....."  Given it's covered 145K+ miles I'm pleased with the pass and feedback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sealed up the leaking driver's door with a load of sealant and duck tape (duck tape to hold until the sealant sets. Quite a satisfying job (assuming it works...).

Cleaned the window seals and cured the squealing window mechanism by squirting a load of WD40 and silicon lubricant about all the guide wheels and sending it up and down - seemed to be one of the bottom ones making the racket. Hope the fix lasts.

Again amazed how well designed and solid these cars are.

IMG_20201217_1012130.jpg.57f6d3da72c08972b9e3cb10d22191f3.jpg

• Like 1

Took the car in for its mot today.

Each year I expect the worse.

When the car was up on the ramp, the mot inspector called me from the viewing area to have a look underneath the car, my heart sank and I was fearing the worst.

Then he told me how clean the car was👍, and thought I should have a look myself.

Anyway the end result a pass with no advisories.

Feels like an early Xmas present.

The longer I keep the car, the more attached I am to it, it just feels like part of the family.

I bet that comment has opened the flood gates for all sorts of feedback😂.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, S14 said:

Took the car in for its mot today.

Each year I expect the worse.

When the car was up on the ramp, the mot inspector called me from the viewing area to have a look underneath the car, my heart sank and I was fearing the worst.

Then he told me how clean the car was👍, and thought I should have a look myself.

Anyway the end result a pass with no advisories.

Feels like an early Xmas present.

The longer I keep the car, the more attached I am to it, it just feels like part of the family.

I bet that comment has opened the flood gates for all sorts of feedback😂.

Good on you.  You bought and paid for it, appreciate it as you choose no matter what others say 👍.

Sounds like a decent bloke doing the test too.  Care to share the garage name and location as a reference?

My 1997 2.5 passed the MOT yesterday - no advisories. 

A good result as all I did was top up the windscreen wash and drive it there. 

6,563 miles since last December so gets used a fair bit even with this year's issues. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Burt986S said:

After collecting the car 2/12 finally got round to going through the reams of paperwork that came with the car

Found this letter which is really nice to have. Original owner was a Doctor from Dorset!

Also decided at the weekend that I couldn't leave the car out in the rain so took the big decision to sell the Alfa so that the Boxster can go undercover!

I've said it before but this could be a keeper!

[img%5D

You do forget that they were certainly a lot of money new ... and the options really do start to add up!

Finally found a pair of 9A4 titanium finished Boxster S front bumper grilles. To be fitted when I get the front bumper off for respraying in the Spring.

Old ones that are titanium underneath but have been sprayed matt black will be offered free to a good home once swapped. PM me if interested.

Had the storage box out off the engine cover as the sliding door a bit sticky on one side.  Whilst roof was in service position did a run round with Gummi Pflege on all door, roof and boot seals.

Also went out for a run via local garden centre for some last minute gifts and took advantage of a Shell Go+ extra £1.50 off 30l of V power making it only 117.9/l.  Astonishingly the particular Shell forecourt I use still only has a 9p/l premium on V power.

Edited by ½cwt

16 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Had the storage box out off the engine cover as the sliding door a bit sticky on one side.  Whilst roof was in service position did a run round with Gummi Pflege on all door, roof and boot seals.

Also went out for a run via local garden centre for some last minute gifts and took advantage of a Shell Go+ extra £1.50 off 30l of V power making it only 117.9/l.  Astonishingly the particular Shell forecourt I use still only has a 9p/l premium on V power.

Good old Gummi Pflege that's a life saver on the Hardtop, really does stop the creaking that can sometimes occur.

• Like 1

I collected my 986S today after its MOT yesterday (passed with no advisories - woohoo!) 🙂 I also had a 997 shifter, new headlight washer and centre console hinge repair kit fitted at the same time. Merry Christmas little Boxster, I hope we can cover more than 370miles next year! 🤞🏻

Edited by Stewart_H

I have been thinking for some time that the car wasn't as urgent as it should be and the idle was a little lumpy ... I took out the MAF to clean it and noticed that it was the old style 124.00 version.  This didn't seem right to me as my car is a MY02 and everywhere suggested that I should be using the 125.0x version.   So took a chance and bought the newer version, just installed it ... went for a quick run and the urgency and throttle response has improved and the idle is a lot smoother.  

17 hours ago, andy340r said:

I have been thinking for some time that the car wasn't as urgent as it should be and the idle was a little lumpy ... I took out the MAF to clean it and noticed that it was the old style 124.00 version.  This didn't seem right to me as my car is a MY02 and everywhere suggested that I should be using the 125.0x version.   So took a chance and bought the newer version, just installed it ... went for a quick run and the urgency and throttle response has improved and the idle is a lot smoother.  

Always good when your assumptions are proved right, nice easy fix with instant results

2 hours ago, andy340r said:

Certainly is.  Just need to go for a decent run for the ECU to adjust and that will be another ticked off the to-do list

You might as well do the throttle body relearn adaptation too at the same time. 

Topped up the coolant to the right level (with the correct fluid bought from Design911) and contemplated contorting myself into the driver's side footwell to change out the ignition switch... Decided against it because I am going to need something to do tomorrow as well...

Any excuse to take it out of the garage.

35 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Topped up the coolant to the right level (with the correct fluid bought from Design911) and contemplated contorting myself into the driver's side footwell to change out the ignition switch... Decided against it because I am going to need something to do tomorrow as well...

Any excuse to take it out of the garage.

Make sure you have the right switch they changed slightly around the facelift time, other than that it’s not a horrendous job easier with the roof off and legs flailing around in the air😂

3 hours ago, edc said:

You might as well do the throttle body relearn adaptation too at the same time. 

I was looking for that procedure earlier ... as I was searching MAF reset I couldn't find it.  Much quicker to find things if you know the correct expression.  Thanks!