What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 1/27/2021 at 6:14 PM, ½cwt said:

Received two dehumidifying bags I had ordered.  I weighed them on arrival as they claimed to be 200g but felt heavier, were in fact approx. 245g so microwaved for 5 mins and put on a radiator to remove the condensed steam from the microwaving, reweighed at 220g.  So if you get some dry them before use.  Now in the car doing their stuff I hope.

Only put in these dehumidifying bag on Wednesday, took them out briefly today and both had gained 40g (=80 ml water between them) so they certainly do something.  Left them on top of a radiator for about 90 minutes whilst I used the car and they each lost 5g, now back in a warm car for a week or so to see what happens this time.  I placed one ont eh rear storage box and the other in front of the gear lever. Car definitely felt drier when I go in to it today and no condensation on the inside of the plastic rear screen (I also use a half cover which also helps a bit to prevent this), so for a few quid you can't go wrong and I definitely recommend them. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

I microwave them for 30 seconds or so to get them back to normal. 

30 seconds? Mine takes at least 5 mins I reckon and there is still steam coming off afterwards. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

30 seconds? Mine takes at least 5 mins I reckon and there is still steam coming off afterwards. 

I generally do a few 3 minute stints in the microwave, shake in-between and then radiator overnight.

1 hour ago, edc said:

Yep, 5 mins and then put them somewhere to dry for a bit as the bag is still damp with steam.  The time on the radiator I referred to was just for convenience not to dry them properly.

Fitted a GT3 delete centre console delete,I  picked up cheap but brand new from ebay...what a difference, I finally have the perfect driving position.  I have only had the car since 2014 LOL

Also fitted litronic headlight wash to replace one with damaged nozzles, also cheap from ebay.

Then actually took it for a drive 🙂

3 hours ago, Davehods said:

Also fitted litronic headlight wash to replace one with damaged nozzles, also cheap from ebay.

How cheap?  These are £150 each new and I couldn't find any second hand when I searched a couple of yeas ago as they all seem to fail in the same way with split plastic around the spherical jets that then let the washer fluid syphon out as well as spray in all directions.

16 minutes ago, Stewart_H said:

I think this may be the post @edc is referring to...

I managed to get an unused one for £30!  On the other side the entire unit had cracked and was leaking...I ended up paying top whack for that one!  None to be found on ebay.

2 hours ago, gIzzE said:

Oh, maybe they need much longer then. 🤣

I will give them 5 mins next time. 

You'll need oven gloves for handling after more than 30 secs. I just leave it by an open window to steam off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stewart_H said:

I think this may be the post @edc is referring to...

These are the jets, however if the plastic they clip into is broken (age or frost damage) then having a new jet isn't much help.  One reason they fall out or leak is the plastic around them giving up.  I had all 4 jets still but they sprayed all around not just the light and syphoned the tank dry when ever it was topped up.

Repaired the rear spoiler on my 98 2.5 over the weekend, I kept getting a random spoiler failure light on dash.

Removed from car and stripped down - once motor removed i found the cables that pushed the spoiler turrets were very tight. I cleaned the cables with brake cleaner and then lubricated with chain spray, after several simulated raising and lowering actions it was smooth in operation. re-greased the 2 rack gears the motor acts on and rebuilt.

Used the car for work today - All sorted well happy 😀

Finally had a bit of decent weather to allow me to prepared and primer paint the two used replacement front bumper grilles I've bought.  Found somewhere (paints4u.com) that has a mix for 9A4 paint for the titanium colour Porsche use on the S trims.

Will be some time before they are fitted as the bumper needs a respray before they are installed when I refit the bumper after it is painted.

Also managed a few miles today going to a local country park for a walk with SWMBO.

Car died at the shops and wouldn't start. Thankfully not too far from home, got a tow home.

Looks immobiliser related - already fixed other issues (bad keys, loose alarm fuse, new ign switch) and everything works apart from starting. Currently got the immobiliser out and wishing I'd just opened a beer and lit the fire, lol.

On 2/1/2021 at 4:02 PM, gIzzE said:

Oh, maybe they need much longer then. 🤣

I will give them 5 mins next time. 

Mine say clearly on the cover, 'Microwave for six minutes, rest for 10 minutes, microwave for 6 minutes. They steam nicely. You won't need oven gloves either.

2 hours ago, McDonald said:

Mine say clearly on the cover, 'Microwave for six minutes, rest for 10 minutes, microwave for 6 minutes. They steam nicely. You won't need oven gloves either.

Took mine out yesterday after a week before I drove it, +45g on each of the 2 bags so obviously doing something useful.

39 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Took mine out yesterday after a week before I drove it, +45g on each of the 2 bags so obviously doing something useful.

I'm impressed that you weigh them. I just microwave and replace. But I always notice the steam rising. Certainly useful.