What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

4 hours ago, McDonald said:

And being high on the list for the Covid jab. Had mine on Tuesday.

Caution: My Dad drove until he was 90. He was ripped off royally for insurance and drove less than 1,000 miles per annum. 

You can get too old for car insurance, my parents recently went down to one car (they kindly gave mum's car to granddaughter to help her stay mobile) and moved dad's A3 insurance into mum's name with him as named, dropped nearly £100 vs other way round, he is 88, she is 79.

7 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

Im 61 and havent had the jab yet. Wife is 59 and has had it. She is clinically extremely vulnerable and shielding though.

7 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

Im 61 and havent had the jab yet. Wife is 59 and has had it. She is clinically extremely vulnerable and shielding though.

I'm sure you're glad that your wife is higher on the list, as she is more vulnerable. You won't be far behind. They're rattling down through the ages very rapidly. Good health to you both.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

You can get too old for car insurance, my parents recently went down to one car (they kindly gave mum's car to granddaughter to help her stay mobile) and moved dad's A3 insurance into mum's name with him as named, dropped nearly £100 vs other way round, he is 88, she is 79.

Good that they're operating strategically. I discovered that my Dad was paying £900+ when he was 85. Full no claims and very low annual mileage. He'd always got his insurance through a local broker. I went online and saved him almost £600. I just wish I'd been alerted sooner. They'd ripped him off for decades.

I am indeed happy she has had it. Having said that, she is on very strong medication to knock out her immune system, which I believe means the vaccine wont be as effective as it would normally be.

Im expecting a call sometime within the next few weeks, to have it too.

Good health to you and yours too, thanks. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Good that they're operating strategically. I discovered that my Dad was paying £900+ when he was 85. Full no claims and very low annual mileage. He'd always got his insurance through a local broker. I went online and saved him almost £600. I just wish I'd been alerted sooner. They'd ripped him off for decades.

That's great you caught it, better late than never.

Not sure about your Dad but mine used to be a bit evasive about telling you where he is spending his money so it isn't always easy determining if they are getting a good deal. Now days the problem is getting him to stop talking and he is spending his money just about as quick as he can and we keep telling him,,,Good for you :laugh:

1 minute ago, EXY said:

That's great you caught it, better late than never.

Not sure about your Dad but mine used to be a bit evasive about telling you where he is spending his money so it isn't always easy determining if they are getting a good deal. Now days the problem is getting him to stop talking and he is spending his money just about as quick as he can and we keep telling him,,,Good for you :laugh:

Evasive about money is a lovely euphemism. Dad wouldn't discuss money at all. That's why my ears pr*cked up when he was unhappy about his renewal quote. In the last few years he asked my advice about all sorts of stuff & I was happy to help without intruding on his privacy.

27 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Evasive about money is a lovely euphemism. Dad wouldn't discuss money at all. That's why my ears pr*cked up when he was unhappy about his renewal quote. In the last few years he asked my advice about all sorts of stuff & I was happy to help without intruding on his privacy.

:laugh: I have to say my FIL is on a completely different plane of existence when it comes to discussing money, you need to count your fingers after shaking hands with him.

I try to approach it in slightly different ways like telling him how much our car and house insurance is in the hope he will engage to the extent we get a feel for what he is spending.

I do know my Dad has swapped his Phone/ISP & Energy supplier more times in the last 5 years than the previous 60 years, he loves it when a new Energy guy calls at the house :cry:

Went out topless with Mrs ½cwt today (the car, not us... the world couldn't cope with that).  Had to do some food shopping but with an outside temp of 14°C why not drop the roof even with a plastic rear screen?

Fitted the mesh into my newly titanium painted from grilles.  Bit of time detailing with tinsnips and shaping it tot eh profile of the grilles, then fixed with a hot glue gun.  Temporarily used cable ties to hold the mesh in place whilst gluing. Just need to get the front bumper off and painted and build it up with these in.

p3shqhv.jpg?1 

8jNit9I.jpg 

6poaD7O.jpg 

Purchased 2 new rear top mounts to hopefully element the remaining noise in my rear suspension since last year's rebuild and also a used 987 shifter to give a shorter gear shift.

19 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Purchased 2 new rear top mounts to hopefully element the remaining noise in my rear suspension since last year's rebuild and also a used 987 shifter to give a shorter gear shift.

where did you get them from mate - i haven't managed to source any yet outside of going to an OPC. 

5 hours ago, Jord said:

where did you get them from mate - i haven't managed to source any yet outside of going to an OPC. 

I've opted for Febi Bilstein market ones (part no 48726) covers 986 & 987 even though the drop down menus for compatibility only show 2.7 not 3.2 compatibility they are the same part number from Porsche. I don't know who the OE suppliers is but the only main stream OE supplier I can see listed is Bilstein (Febi Bilstein is NOT the same outfit, so yes I have been 'cheap') for about twice the money but still cheaper than genuine Porsche.

Fitted the Air oil separator and did a throttle body clean. 
I was not looking forward to this job but mines a facelift so dare I say it was quite straightforward. 
A remote cable clamp was essential to aid the removal. 
My AOS had not failed but there was oil in the pipes 

On 2/21/2021 at 3:30 PM, ½cwt said:

Fitted the mesh into my newly titanium painted from grilles.  Bit of time detailing with tinsnips and shaping it tot eh profile of the grilles, then fixed with a hot glue gun.  Temporarily used cable ties to hold the mesh in place whilst gluing. Just need to get the front bumper off and painted and build it up with these in.

p3shqhv.jpg?1 

8jNit9I.jpg 

6poaD7O.jpg 

Why use a glue gun, what if you need to replace mesh at some point, I used screws which work perfectly as long as you screw into the thicker part of the surround.

22 minutes ago, the baron said:

Why use a glue gun, what if you need to replace mesh at some point, I used screws which work perfectly as long as you screw into the thicker part of the surround.

Hot glue gun, so warm it up with a heat gun and it will come away. Also I didn't want to risk breaking through the front face of the plastic. My luck is not good in that department.

• Thanks 1

It smells a bit nasty inside mine as I think it hadnt been used much over the last year.

So I decided to drop the roof down to let some fresh air in there.

This was quite a moment for me, as Ive never owned a convertible before in all my 61 years. 😁

18 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

It smells a bit nasty inside mine as I think it hadnt been used much over the last year.

So I decided to drop the roof down to let some fresh air in there.

This was quite a moment for me, as Ive never owned a convertible before in all my 61 years. 😁

Hopefully the first of many this year!👍

• Like 1

Cleaned and reproofed the rag top , always makes me smile for some bizarre reason 🙂

On 2/21/2021 at 3:30 PM, ½cwt said:

p3shqhv.jpg?1 

8jNit9I.jpg 

6poaD7O.jpg 

Doesn’t look very neat and it seems not exactly well executed.  Or is it just the photo/angle?

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Crazymind said:

Doesn’t look very neat and it seems not exactly well executed.  Or is it just the photo/angle?

WTAF?

Given this 👇 is the side you'll see that looks pretty good to me.

p3shqhv.jpg?1  

Edited by map
Clarification.....
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1