My 2011 987 Black Edition

Jonttt

39 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

It has a tough act to follow v the 981GTS, in fact it can only fail in that respect ie as a drivers car BUT all I can say is I'm lovin it so far.

First of all, welcome to the BE club :)

Not sure why you think the GTS would be the better drivers car though?  The 987 has the better (for feel) hydraulic steering and a manual box.  The other changes that come with the GTS are arguably comfort related (power is pretty much the same) and the sound.  Not having a go at the GTS, I just don't think they necessarily make a better drivers car.  All just my opinion though and I've not driven a 981 of any flavour and will also happily admit that I am probably biased!

thank you for the welcome, it is nice being part of an exclusive club 😉

One of the reasons I bought this BE was the spec as its as close to 981GTS spec as you can possibly get in a 987 (bar alcantara), it has the same engine, not far off the same power etc.... The problem is the 981GTS is one of those rare cars which just is more than the sum of its parts. The DNA is there in my BE, I can feel it BUT its simply does not have the same emotional stimulation that the 981GTS has. You really have to drive one, I think you would be shocked. The 981GTS is THAT good. I have been lucky enough to own / drive a lot of exotica over the years (I had an F430 Spyder as a daily for 18 months when they where new) and the 981GTS can hold its own as a drivers road package against almost anything at any price, its jsut that good a package. It one of the reasons the 718 was such a massive disappointment to many who understand the porsche DNA, its is just a sweet spot.

So it makes absolutely no sense why I sold it right. The only reason I can explain it is that it was not a hobby car, it was a drivers car and to me there is a massive difference. Apart from fit a boot liner there was nothing I could do to improve it, especially under porsche warranty. A hobby car is more to me than that. I'm so glad I got to own the GTS for 2.5 years but it was time to move on and get back to basics. I'm lucky enough to also own a 993 carrera, I've done about as much as I can / want to that and have an extensive ownership journey over the past 6 years with it, I had none with the 981. I'm at the start of another journey and excited by it, so far the 987 BE has ticked every box but make no mistake it will never replace the 981GTS as a sheer driving experience (there are not many cars that exist which can) IMHO

Interesting comments and yes indeed the GTS is a very special car but until you’ve taken your Black Edition round some tight bends you haven’t really seen what it can do. I thought mine great when I bought it but it was only when I took it on a BoXa.net run I realised how good it really was.👌

Early days yet but you won’t be disappointed 😎

I know I won't be disappointed 😉

I'm loving it already, as I've said it has the GTS DNA, the sports exhaust is a blast (I've been for a run out today) and its fun to drive (thats why I bought it) but it simply has nowwhere near the drama of the 981GTS which just grabs you by the scruff and says "come on then". I knew that before I decided to change.

It is nice getting back to more analogue steering (but I have that in my 993 if you want real analogue steering lol),  the 981 is however very precise, surgical despite the critism of the fly by wire steering, yes it is a little detached in terms of feedback but it gives plenty more in spades to keep the senses entertained. So yes the steering in the 987 gives something back but at the moment the PASM is not as good as the 981 (which is to be expected, its a generation older again) but I have managed to source a second hand DSC v1 unit which is plug and play and is reputed to transform the PASM (even in sport mode). These are all the reasons I changed, I can fettle the 987, make it better, make it mine 😉

No messing around then, you did well to source a Dsc controller secondhand 👍

It makes a huge difference even just normal driving but when you really press on it really works it’s magic 👌

If you like a firmer ride then you will probably leave it in Sport, it isn’t teeth shattering anymore and the turn in is spot on. It’s probably worth getting a fresh alignment to make the most of it unless it’s been done recently.

My  alignment was way off on mine when I got it but it actually drove very well 😂

Edited by Lonewolfgjp

So I had a play with a little toy today to see if I could get it working...... I had picked up a <£20 bluetooth OBD reader..... the beauty of it is that its almost self contained in the OBD footprint and so in a 987 can simply be left in the OBD port under the passenger glove box. It has a button you simply press if you want to activate it.

So install could not be any easier (there is not even a cover on the OBD port to remove) and sync to phone bluetooth and setup on a c£2.50 app "Torque"....

p5gorbN.jpg

dmIcDc2.jpg

ISyKy4L.jpg

8GwISk0.jpg

it connected up fine first time and even has GPS route tracking / saving if you leave the app running on your phone....

tRj1i9r.jpg

I did not have time to play around with it properly, I just wanted to check it connected and I could get fault codes (there where none). It can be used to reset fault codes  :thumb: 

pscrxce.jpg

rWr1kCv.jpg

FgTB5T7.jpg

OSlqrQ3.jpg

lAZgjV3.jpg

8EyMev1.jpg

not bad for c£20 and a 30 second install which can just be left in situ  :bandit:

I'm about to go away for a week so the boxster will be laid up. I'm not sure on the state of the battery given its been sat around over the past month or so through the sale process so I thought I would prep it for a Ctek charger so I can leave it on trickle charge whilst I'm away.

I got an extra flylead with battery monitor (it has flashing LED's to give an indication of the battery charge when not connected to the actual CTEK charger. They are <£5 and I can just leave it on the car for occassional use in summer and permanent use when the car is laid up over winter.

The only thing to be careful of with Porsches is that the battery terminal nuts/bolts are single use ..... so if you remove the nut completely (even past half way) you will not get it back on easily (they are designed to be replaced). So the trick is to adapt the connecting O ring to a C ring so it can just slide on without removing the terminal nut....

E4CA16E.jpg

jFfLvDl.jpg

tQ8XnR8.jpg

DtABAS8.jpg

Dremmeled to a C fit (use pliers to hold whilst you cut, the metal is very soft so its like slicing butter)

eKwQ7E1.jpg

Just loosen the temrinal nut slightly to slide the C fitting in nb you need to bend the C connector to form a 90 degree fitment....

u92ejpr.jpg

qH5puxd.jpg

and then just tuck under the battery cover so the head sticks out...

rB70NZZ.jpg

It can then just be left in place permanently with the waterproof cover on it. The beauty being you can just look at the flashing LED at any time to check battery state if the car has been stood a while not on charge  :thumb: 

So then it was off to swap over for another car needed for the airport run tomorrow. The Boxster will be left in secure storage at one of my offices, as we own the building its got more cameras pointing at my space than Buckingham Palace and 24/7 manned security, so its safer there whilst I'm away than at home 😉

All tucked up and discretely on charge till I get back .....

lKQE24K.jpg

V97WZ3e.jpg

dAmXSE2.jpg

nH5xuK8.jpg

49 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

No messing around then, you did well to source a Dsc controller secondhand 👍

It makes a huge difference even just normal driving but when you really press on it really works it’s magic 👌

If you like a firmer ride then you will probably leave it in Sport, it isn’t teeth shattering anymore and the turn in is spot on. It’s probably worth getting a fresh alignment to make the most of it unless it’s been done recently.

My  alignment was way off on mine when I got it but it actually drove very well 😂

Yes I was lucky, I had been in contact with 9E (official UK distributer) as they had just ran a group buy for 911UK which got delivered this week. They could not match the group buy price but did offer me a slight discount to c£1,040 incl VAT. I phoned up on the train travelling to collect the boxster yesturday to order one, first time I could not get a pickup and then I lost the signal so I gave up to try again today. Then last night the group buy discussion led to a member asking how much his v1 (ie the 987 version) would be worth as he had retained it afte selling his 997.2 car. 9E said c£700-£800 was the going rate (there are no mechanical parts to wear out), I jumped on that and a deal was done for £700 😉

Easy £300 saved but man maths says that will go on a map/PCM software update lol

Edited by Jonttt

Thanks, I've not started on it yet lol, there is lots of scope to improve the shine of the black with a good detail !

I'm actually looking forward to getting stuck into it, I've been dusting off my old detailing cabinet (I mean that literally, my DA has not seen the light of day for about 6 years)

Jon if you plough through this thread you'll find a cheap, trusted map update for 3.1 - I can't be bothered to read it all to see if they got 3.0!

@Araf you were following, did they get for PCM 3.0? Did you?

On 7/11/2019 at 10:28 PM, Jonttt said:

So need some help to solve a little mystery from my quick inspection of the car when I got home. Whilst I was investigating all the cubby holes in the Frunk (and checking tool kit was still there lol) I spotted some trim which has been cut and a piece that has been made removable. This looks like its been done post factory but I’m not familiar enough with the model yet to know. So any ideas why this would have been done ?

nb its the cubby hole at the back of the frunk which you can access from above and in front by removing plastic “doors”

There is also a black cloth back in there, any idea what its for ?

1IzzxIi.jpg

dd58GEK.jpg

No drama, mine has the same weird cut out god knows why 😂

I think it's where the multichanger would go, but if you have the PCM like mine, the head unit holds 6 cds so no need for the multichanger that the lower models would need.

6 minutes ago, Araf said:

I think it's where the multichanger would go, but if you have the PCM like mine, the head unit holds 6 cds so no need for the multichanger that the lower models would need.

Just out of interest which PCM have you got? I m not sure if mine hold multiple cds but it is the unit with the nav and phone etc.

17 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Those maps may well work but our head units need a main dealer only update before you could try them 👍

No, the seller has a hack for that on PCM3.1 butnot forPCM 3.0.  Many (with 3.1) have already updated their head units and loaded the new maps.

For the PCM 3.0 on the 987.2, @Richard Hamilton has the equipment to do the dealer upgrade and load the new maps for you.  It takes a couple of hours and he basically charges beer money plus the cost of the licence he needs for your car - a hell of a lot less than an OPC.

Richard upgraded mine and it's much better with full post code search and also much newer maps. 

13 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Just out of interest which PCM have you got? I m not sure if mine hold multiple cds but it is the unit with the nav and phone etc.

If you can just post cds in then it is a single changer.  If you have to press a button first, it should be a 6-CD

So after a week of driving around the Italian coast ............in a Skoda hire car, dreaming of driving the boxster, I had plenty of time to stock up deliveries for jobs when I got back. So ti was nice this morning to get the car from storage and complete a few quick wins.......

First up was the new registration fitted to the car......

I decided to go aluminium plates which have to be stuck on with pads. Good preparartion is crucial to get the pads to bond properly to the plastic for trusty old panel wipe was used to prep all surfaces..

Eupqjxy.jpg

and the finished job.....

EtYF4jy.jpg

of course SWMBO "did not get it" which is partly the point, you either see it or you don't 😉

Next up was to replace the wheel nuts.....

I posted up on another thread about this but I treat wheel bolts as consumables..... the reason being that a bolt is designed to be retained in place through stress which involves it being stretched to the correct torque. Bolts can only be stretched so many times / so far before they start to lose their ability to stay in place / suffer from metal fatique and fail. I've had two bolts snap on me on old cars for this very reason (one literally disintegrated to pieces as Porsche traditionally use a relatively soft metal bolt) and it is becoming more of a recognised issue in cars as they are designed to run for longer / older. It has been a known issue in commercial logistics for a long time where bolts are treated as consumables and regularly replaced. The problem is that you cannot "see" metal fatique ie is not the physical appearance of the metal that is the issue but its hidden ability to stretch to the correct torque without failure. Unless wheel bolts are obviously new I also replace them now as a matter of routine. Even new bolts can suffer is they have been over torqued (ie over stretched) in the past.

So it was not just a cosmetic improvement I was after but also piece of mind...... I sourced Stainless Steel replacements which put up with much more abuse than Porsches OEM relatively soft metal options...

I also decided to do away with the locking wheel nuts. They are just a pain in the backside and if someone really wants you wheels x1 locking wheel nut is not going to stop them (they can be easily snapped off unless you fit several per wheel). It also looks better with x5 of the same bolt installed.

When using new bolts its important to ensure they have some form of anti seizure compound applied. I use Optimoly TA Paste which is a recommended product of most car manufacturers...

UFPuJ9M.jpg

Some old and some new....(nb the new bolts are slightly longer than OEM but fit fine)....

jz9K2jM.jpg

BEFORE...

z76UPHI.jpg

AFTER....

S8M1H79.jpg

Next comes one of the .........

- easiest

- most noticeable

- not cheap

Mods you can do to any Porsche with factory OEM PASM fitted........ the DSC PASM replacement controller.....

This is a very well known mod which just makes the PASM (variable dampers) much more useable. The 987.2 uses the same module as the 997.2 and does not require the additional accelerometer required for the earlier 987.1 and 997.1 (none turbo) ie .2 cars have these fitted as standard).

https://www.dscsport.com/product/dsc-vplug-n-play/

"The DSC Sport Controller expands the dynamic range and rate of response of your factory damper controller, providing both improved track performance and a more comfortable ride on the street. It simply replaces the factory PASM controller with the DSC Sport Plug N Play controller. Like all DSC Sport controllers, the DSC Sport V1 Plug N Play Controller allows users to tune by g-force, brake pressure, acceleration, speed, steering, and control the effective damping range via shock calibration.

DSC features 2 modes, “Normal” and “Sport” which will display on the dash during mode selection. Mode display on the dash in the same way that the factory controller does."

These cost c£1,050 from the UK approved suppliers but do come up occassionally second hand. As there are no moving parts they is no "wear" element of the module, they therefore command strong money but I managed to get one for £700 delivered from a 997.2

P1m3jzq.jpg

RVvE2TF.jpg

Fitting really is a doddle, you just put your hand up to side of the passenger footwell and feel for the OEM unit. At the bottom there is a retaining tab which you just ease and the unit pulls down and out easily...

M0CCZvD.jpg

you then just push in the lugs holding the wiring connector and pull free...

Side by side...

TOy98Kz.jpg

Fitting is simply the reversal although it is a little more fiddly to slide the unit back into the top retaining bracket and push back in place the lower tab......

So thats it job done........ the first thing you notice is that the DSC unit is more flexible in its settings ie the OEM unit switches on both PASM and Sport together, you can then switch off PASM if you just want sport engine mapping. As OEM Sport PASM is not driveable on english roads this was always a pain as you had to switch on Sport then swithc off PASM. Also when you turn off the ignitition all revert to OFF. With the DSC controller Sport and PASM are completely seperate settings, so you can just turn on Sport without PASM if you like. The unit also remembers the last PASM setting when ignition is turned off.

The central dial notificaiton is fully supported as per the OEM unit..

rjKYCDg.jpg

oIMKThH.jpg

z5yysYS.jpg

qvWWDMo.jpg

Other than test for errors I've not had chance to try this mod out yet but will report back when I've had some experience of it in real world driving......

Edited by Jonttt

I have been debating whether to retain the OEM Sat Nav or replace with an android unit. I like the OEM unit looks, I have bluetooth streaming working from my phone via the already fitted bluetooth dongle, FM sounds great on the BOSE but upgrading the maps to the latest is not cheap and live traffic / rerouting even then would just not be on a par with google maps / waze (which also offer speed camera alerts) and I don;t have a DAB radio option. But even the replacement screens are not that much bigger than phones these days. I am due a new phone next month and have already decided to go for a larger phone screen so decided to try to see if I can get the best of both worlds ie retain OEM looks but use my phone for sat nav, DAB radio......to achieve this I needed an OEM looking phone mount. The experts at this are Rennline and once again they have come up trumps with their "Exact Fit" phone mount. These are not cheap for what they are but what you get is OEM quality and deisgned to the nth degree to provide the optimum solution...Fitting is a 5 min job ......

http://www.rennline.com/Porsche-997_987-ExactFit-Magnetic-Phone-Mount/productinfo/PM01.11/

vxeCR6h.jpg

It consists of a simple metal plate which fits inside the side of the OEM head unit. It has tabs so you line it up in an exact position to ensure that when fitted both the glove box and cup holders work even with a phone in place....

So all you have to do is remove the headunit side cover and stick it on the inside....(I forgot to take pics of it stuck on the inside but full instructions are supplied with the item / from the linked website above)...

3s6vk6a.jpg

I'm chuffed with the fit / looks / placement. I donlt think it would be possible to have a more optimal OEM looking phone holder. As an added bonus the 12v power socket is just behind it in the passenger footwell so a phone can easily be powered if nav / music streaming is required on longer runs...

hqZYVqh.jpg

QFfEj6U.jpg