My 2011 987 Black Edition

Jonttt

I did but part of the hobby for me is sourcing oem parts where available.

Glad you like the 981GTS, awesome cars and I have great memories from owning one 😉

re the carbon centre console install I mentioned a "Cobra" box which I swapped over and referred to this (wrongly) as the tracker........a Porsche mechanic on another forum corrected me with the following statement...

"Ref cig lighter removal .. smack it hard on the white electrical plug connector with a rubber mallet .. it separates then Very Happy 

The box with the Part number 99761821001 is the alarm interior monitoring sensor .. it's the bit that if something moves in the car it triggers the alarm .. a standard part of 987 alarm systems .. 

Also the bit that if you fill the ashtray with coins it gives a false reading and will trigger the alarm at approx 1 am , so gets you running out to the car to find ...... 

NO ONE breaking in ! 

I've never noticed it has Cobra on it before though !"

Next up was the pesky orange indicator bulbs  :roll: 

The units are very easy to remove, you just push them towards the wheel with a trim tool and lever out, the bulb holder then just rotates to remove and the bulb is a push fit....

standard 501 bulbs.....orange original, silver (orange glow) replacements....

j24ntlG.jpg

before.....

RBx5RKe.jpg

after......

6fBs8bd.jpg

I feel much better now 😁

and while I was bulb replacement duties I thought I would "freshen up" the old number plate bulbs for LED ones......

OhDCAhd.jpg

before (horrible yellow light)....

bQA6odd.jpg

after (much better)....

HDkcptK.jpg

On 8/14/2019 at 10:09 PM, Lonewolfgjp said:

Looking good👍

Went car shopping with my friend today and saw this beautiful 993 and thought of you.

48539553562_74509462f8_b.jpg

48539553492_a111e5422c_b.jpg

They had some nice stock 👌

I love that 993, but not the £108k price tag for a non turbo. Clearly somebody does though since they’ve taken a deposit on it over this weekend.

Keir Chappell runs a good business, I bought my last Boxster 987S from him a while back and sold it last year ..

Edited by Broxie

That 993 C4S was cheap as chips, they are one of the best classics you can buy IMHO and the 4S is one of the rarest of 993’s in RHD UK spec.......The doommungers harp on about bubbles bursting, the market being slow but as always a decent car in the right spec will always sell........there is a lot of cash out there and these are as safe a place to put it as anywhere 😉

Edited by Jonttt

A warning that my LED bulbs died after a year and I didn't realise until my indie pointed it out.  I hear a better move is to buy the entire light units, designed for LEDs, rather than just swapping the bulb.  Haven't done it yet. YMMV as mine were 987.1 and thus had to be CANBUS friendly also, thus heated up, not sure if you have that issue.

I’ve not actually drive the car since I fitted them, sigh, but thanks for the heads up. I’ll check them occasionally to check the are working. I saw the full piece LED replacement units but most where marketed for VW but I assume they will fit the 987 (hence why they where marketed as such). I did not want to take a chance on them not fitting hence just buying the bulbs. If they fail I’ll look at the whole units.

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I hear a better move is to buy the entire light units, designed for LEDs

Interesting, not seen these. Are they widely available? What is the difference? Are the bulbs integrated? Built in heatsinks?

32 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Interesting, not seen these. Are they widely available? What is the difference? Are the bulbs integrated? Built in heatsinks?

A bit like these I suppose. Built in resistor and integrated 'bulb' rather a plug in.

Hello @Jonttt

Thanks for sharing your tip re OBD2 Bluetooth reader & phone app.  

I bought one to clear a sports-cat induced CEL for my MOT.  All worked a treat, and saved a packet & hassle in not needing my indie to clear it and handle the MOT.  

I also get peace of mind as, assuming the CEL will return, I can check whether anything else is amiss now.

Best wishes, Simon.

2 hours ago, Simon Thorpe said:

Hello @Jonttt

Thanks for sharing your tip re OBD2 Bluetooth reader & phone app.  

I bought one to clear a sports-cat induced CEL for my MOT.  All worked a treat, and saved a packet & hassle in not needing my indie to clear it and handle the MOT.  

I also get peace of mind as, assuming the CEL will return, I can check whether anything else is amiss now.

Best wishes, Simon.

I’m glad you found it useful 👍

So I decided to get the carbon insert which does not come with the OEM Carbon centre console.......this is not OEM and is extortionate but had to be done......

without.....

qxUUZQE.jpg

with.....

6t17J3T.jpg

1 hour ago, Patt said:

Yes  - piano black would be better and picks out the factory trim too.

having lived with it over week end I'm returning it under my statutory rights (distance selling). I got the part from PorscheShop and its interesting reading their returns policy ie a reason needs to be given. Well no it does not under distance selling rights and those take precedent over any contract 😉 They alos say they have 30 days from receipt to process a refund after receipt and may charge restocking / admin fees. Again this is illegal as they have to refund within 14 days of receipt and they cannot deduct any fees other than I'm not entitled to recover postage costs either way.

I've started the process today so lets see how good they are. I always just a business by how good their customer service is, this one is pretty cut and dry from a statutory point of view but I've heard mixed reviews of PorscheShop so its the type of "adventure" I enjoy as I'm a professional arguer lol

If nothing else this should confirm to anyone else with the same quandry that the part is not a suitable match.

Thanks for everyones honest feedback, it made the decision to return easier 😉

You can never have too much carbon !

I have not even started on the outside yet 😉

Its why I'm lovin this car, I can make it my own which I could not with the 981