My 2011 987 Black Edition

Jonttt

Looks like the phone when on the holder will cover the left hand side of the volume button and no volume controls on steering wheel to make the button redunandant.

Would need to see a pic of the phone in situ I think.

Edited by jason3.2s

Nope, if the phone is in portrait mode the volume control is easily accessible.

If you have it in landscape mode you can't see the volume but it's easy to access behind ie there is plenty of room and you don't need to look at it anyway.

As a further note I have setup android auto / Waze so that it auto starts and keeps the phone screen awake when the phone connects to the cars bluetooth, it even recognises when it's in your pocket and then does not boot android auto. When it disconnects android auto shuts down. Spotify is also auto available to stream this was as well ie just switch the PCM to AUX. All easily set in android auto and Waze so no 3rd party apps needed.

As my car has the optional phone module ie not just Bluetooth I have had to turn SIM control off as this takes control of the phones SIM meaning the phone has no mobile network for Android auto to use. This is no problem as the pcm can use the standard Bluetooth phone profile to connect. In theory it's worse network strength as it reverts to using the phones aerial rather than the cars but with more modern smartphones that's not as big an issues as it used to be.

Had a run out with it tonight and am very pleased with the dual pcm / android auto solution. I'll see how I get on with more use and the due new phone.

Ps hard to take pics of it with phone in situ as I use the phone to take pics but I'll try and sort something out with swmbo phone.

Edited by Jonttt

I managed to get a photo with my phone installed using my iPad.

0yQUwOs.jpg

The phone screen is not much smaller than the PCM display and when I replace the phone next month I will be getting a larger screen again (I work from my phone a lot)

Edited by Jonttt

23 hours ago, Jonttt said:

Nope, if the phone is in portrait mode the volume control is easily accessible.

If you have it in landscape mode you can't see the volume but it's easy to access behind ie there is plenty of room and you don't need to look at it anyway.

As a further note I have setup android auto / Waze so that it auto starts and keeps the phone screen awake when the phone connects to the cars bluetooth, it even recognises when it's in your pocket and then does not boot android auto. When it disconnects android auto shuts down. Spotify is also auto available to stream this was as well ie just switch the PCM to AUX. All easily set in android auto and Waze so no 3rd party apps needed.

As my car has the optional phone module ie not just Bluetooth I have had to turn SIM control off as this takes control of the phones SIM meaning the phone has no mobile network for Android auto to use. This is no problem as the pcm can use the standard Bluetooth phone profile to connect. In theory it's worse network strength as it reverts to using the phones aerial rather than the cars but with more modern smartphones that's not as big an issues as it used to be.

Had a run out with it tonight and am very pleased with the dual pcm / android auto solution. I'll see how I get on with more use and the due new phone.

Ps hard to take pics of it with phone in situ as I use the phone to take pics but I'll try and sort something out with swmbo phone.

Where did you disable rSAP (remote sim). Was it phone side or pcm side ? 

Congrats on the Purchase OP

Another BE owner here with similar spec to yours - the PASM and a PDK version

As others have said i find the PDK excellent in the BE especially in Sport (Sport Plus is savage for the road) and i have been fortunate enough to drive nearly all of the Porsche fleet at SilverStone (except the GT Cars) and found the pdk to be very similar if i am honest.

Looking forward to the updates :)

4 hours ago, Paul P said:

Where did you disable rSAP (remote sim). Was it phone side or pcm side ? 

Pcm side

From memory you go to Bluetooth setting and click on the phone thats already linked and then go into the phone settings. There is an on/off setting. When you switch the setting off it seems to resetup the profile eg copies over phone contacts but there is no need to repair the phone.

The phone then retains control of its SIM required for Android auto.

1 hour ago, hopz121 said:

Congrats on the Purchase OP

Another BE owner here with similar spec to yours - the PASM and a PDK version

As others have said i find the PDK excellent in the BE especially in Sport (Sport Plus is savage for the road) and i have been fortunate enough to drive nearly all of the Porsche fleet at SilverStone (except the GT Cars) and found the pdk to be very similar if i am honest.

Looking forward to the updates :)

It's was a 2009 ie early pdk I tried but it did have sport chrono, maybe the software was updated in the later models ?

In any case I'm happy to be back in a manual, I loved the PDK experience in the 981 and you can put up good arguments for both which is a compliment to how good each is from Porsche 

Ps if you do have pdk you do need the flappy paddle sport wheel imho, the multi function push button wheels just do not suit it.

Edited by Jonttt

13 hours ago, Jonttt said:

It's was a 2009 ie early pdk I tried but it did have sport chrono, maybe the software was updated in the later models ?

In any case I'm happy to be back in a manual, I loved the PDK experience in the 981 and you can put up good arguments for both which is a compliment to how good each is from Porsche 

Ps if you do have pdk you do need the flappy paddle sport wheel imho, the multi function push button wheels just do not suit it.

Yep have the sports wheel like you :) it's a must have IMO makes the interior far nicer and the paddles add to the pdk experience :)

Only thing I would add regarding the PSE is that it is a great option but not as good as the 981 IMO. Its mega rare to find I believe on the 987.2 but if I was specifying it new I am not sure I could have justified the cost which I assume is why its so rare.

Agreed the 981 PSE sounds better, the problem I have is that the 981GTS is even better sounding than a none GTS 981. It is such a high benchmark as the 981GTS is simply one of the best sounding sports cars in any price bracket. I was fully aware of this when I decided to change for a 987. However I have to say I have not been disappointed with the 987 PSE, whilst not as extreme as in the 981GTS it has a very nice thoatyness to it which really encourages you to push up the revs and delay changing gears. It is very similar to the 981 in that respect and I have been pleasantly surprised by just how good it is. As with the 981 the first button I press in the car is PSE 😉 It is a must have to me it makes that much difference. I knew I would end up spending c£2k on PSE and c£1k on sports steering wheel which is why man maths justified the Black Edition with them fitted over a 987 without them ie I could have paid c£4K less but would have immediately spend £3k so it was a no brainer to me to get the Black Edition I got. In my mind with PASM and full leather it was a cheaper car than a none black edition, and thats without factoring in those wheels which are to die for (I used to be a real wheel junkie)

Agreed the PSE is a rare option on the 987 but its not that common in the 981. Try finding a 981 with PASM, sport Chrono and PSE, very rare. It is simply a nature of Porsches options game, everyone when speccing new has a wish list which gets whittled down when reality sinks in and compromises have to be made (been there, done that). When I look at a Porsche now I always categorize them as “drivers spec”  or not based on how they where first specced up. Mine just screamed drivers spec confirmed by it being driven as a daily and covering c40k miles in the first 2 years. It was specced well and to be driven / enjoyed, you can’t quibble with that 😉

981 Spyder is the best sounding Boxster.

And a 981 PSE with performance air filters is better than a standard GTS. aurally

I've been having a long look at the 718 Spyder - and its £83K before any extra leather or carbon hits the build sheet and this is before PTS is available too.

Ah yes, the 981 Spyder, aurally its debatable and in the end I just could not live with the roof. I use a boxster with the roof down 90% of the time but consequently I have to be able to put the roof up / down quickly, just not possible in the Spyder. The 987 is slower roof than the 981 but not by much and I have already been using it at traffic lights eg I put the roof down at midnight last night after I had set off home, in the Spyder I would just not have bothered. The Spyder is really a fair weather car in that respect ie you have to plan / decide when you are putting the roof up / down.

I do miss the auto roof of the 981, especially to let hot air escape before you get in but so far (30 degree here today) auto remote windows down has done the trick and the 987 roof is a better compromise for me than the Spyder faffing about out of the car lol

I looked into the new 718 spyder knowing I would have no hope of getting one and not being willing to play the over game / will reserve judgement on how it sound with the particulate filter fitted + you still have the “problem” of the roof.

981 spyder, great car but I preferred the GTS for my 2.5 years of use.......I would still argue that noise is more aurally pleasing to me at least 😉

Edited by Jonttt

Jon also pointed out to me that you can't use the rear boot with the roof up - you have to un-clip the roof first to open it.

It is seriously on my radar, but I'm trying to see if the 718/6 is a reality.  I love the 981 for the engine, the 718 has better steering feel and if the 718/6 happens I would build a car to my wish list, rather than the compromise that is the Spyder or current daily 981.

I'm torn between throwing options at the 981 in March when the warranty expires  or buying new.

2 hours ago, Patt said:

Jon also pointed out to me that you can't use the rear boot with the roof up - you have to un-clip the roof first to open it.

It is seriously on my radar, but I'm trying to see if the 718/6 is a reality.  I love the 981 for the engine, the 718 has better steering feel and if the 718/6 happens I would build a car to my wish list, rather than the compromise that is the Spyder or current daily 981.

I'm torn between throwing options at the 981 in March when the warranty expires  or buying new.

Ah, you are ruling out the obvious, get yourself into a 987, I'm lovin it, spent this afternoon tinkering and driving ie best of both worlds, proper hobby car 😉

I found the 987 too similar to the 986.  And there is no 987 that would match Molly for spec.

I'm loving the 981, but the Spyder has a 6 pot, the 718 has a slightly better chassis, but the spider's roof and inflated costs are my issue.

If the 718/6 is more than a rumour - that will knock strong values on 981 and hence me looking to move on before I lose too much of my investment.  I can't really justify the Spyder, but I said that about the 981 !😁

My friends are also pointing me towards trying 991.1 Cab as a possible replacement.

23 hours ago, Jonttt said:

I managed to get a photo with my phone installed using my iPad.

0yQUwOs.jpg

The phone screen is not much smaller than the PCM display and when I replace the phone next month I will be getting a larger screen again (I work from my phone a lot)

Each to their own, but that ruins the looks of the dash. I’ll stick to keeping my phone in the tray under the stereo while i’m driving  😁 damn thing gets enough attention when i’m out of the car, don’t need to see it all the time - I am slowly turning into my dad!

1 hour ago, Patt said:

I found the 987 too similar to the 986.  And there is no 987 that would match Molly for spec.

I'm loving the 981, but the Spyder has a 6 pot, the 718 has a slightly better chassis, but the spider's roof and inflated costs are my issue.

If the 718/6 is more than a rumour - that will knock strong values on 981 and hence me looking to move on before I lose too much of my investment.  I can't really justify the Spyder, but I said that about the 981 !😁

My friends are also pointing me towards trying 991.1 Cab as a possible replacement.

Convertable Carrera's are just wrong IMHO (they never look good), a 911 has to be a coupe and a convertable has to be a boxster (unless you have to have 4 seats) IMHO

I had chance to do one of those small but very rewarding type of jobs today.....

Porsche Black Exhaust tips always seem to suffer from a form of failure, not corrossion as such but the black just "mottles" and gets progressively worse. My 981GTS suffered from this. Apparently some owners have had the tips replaced under warranty so I did enquire at the cars 4 years service but I just got a "no" not covered reply (my car was under a porsche approved warranty at the time, not the original 3 year manufacturer warranty)........ so its was no great surprise when on viewing the 987 suffered from the same symptoms but 3 years more advanced (2011 car v 2014). I simply put this down to they all suffer from this and I can rectify...... the options to get new tips is not feasible as they are stupidly expensive and its not actually corression, more a failure of the "blackness"......now we know a 987 Black Edition cannot have too much blackness ......so today was the day to rectify the issue.....

I simply used a combination of ultra high temp exhaust paint I had, but that was matt and I wanted a gloss finish as per OEM so I finished it off with a couple of layers of gloss black engine paint.....

This is before.....these tips have actually been panel wiped to get them clean (when they are dirty they look better as the exhaust soot hides a lot of the issue, so much so that you end up not wanting to clean them !)

Xi3BxZn.jpg

and this is the refurbished result, not perfect but that would require new tips, but it ticks the boxes for me for a few £ and little effort......

AXQlfgx.jpg

I'll let them cure for a few days and then treat / protect to get that blackness even shinier :)

ps I just need to sort out the black trim now, but thats a job for another day.

They look great!

I did a similar job on mine a few weeks ago and try seem to be holding up ok. Mine seem to have dropped their gloss appearance and changed to a moody Matt finish but they look 100% better than they did 👍

22 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

Convertable Carrera's are just wrong IMHO (they never look good), a 911 has to be a coupe and a convertable has to be a boxster (unless you have to have 4 seats) IMHO

I have to say I agree with the exception of the targa which I think is fabulous 👌

Interesting re going Matt. I’ve never actually painted exhaust tips before. My plan is to let them cure for a few days and then polish / seal as I would any paint but I guess its the heat that may be the issue. The gloss paint is expressly “Gloss” engine paint so I will be slightly annoyed if it goes Matt as the exhaust can’t get to the same temp as the engine. I’ll have to wait and see.

Mine was a special high temperature engine paint and high temperature gloss lacquer. I was actually after satin but couldn’t find any.

Mine required a heating up and cooling down process to cure, which I did but only on the drive. But a week a so later I went out on a full throttle 5 hr BoXa.net run and when I returned they were Matt 🤬 Not a issue as they look oem and pretty mean 😂

I had chance today to really get to know the car, several errands around the north west and took some of my favourite roads......

Firstly the car is pleasantly surprising me, it is just a nice place to be and the driving experience is so much fun. I am really enjoying being back in a manual. I know the car has been owned by two ladies prior to me and I know its a cliche but the car has definitely the better for a really good blast through the gears, that’s made easy by the fact the holding onto the revs through the gears is so intoxicating. The car is just running better for it. The full leather interior, its quality is just such a nice place to be. It does feel like a different era car to the 981 even though there was only 3 years to the 981 I had but I love it. I visited my brother for lunch and we went out for a run in it. Stood in the pub car park I said to him “you know I am enjoying it more than the 981 already” and I meant it. That combination of driving pleasure and the ownership experience of tinkering and making it your own is just a better overall experience for me.

An update on the OEM headunit (PCM 3.0) and phone running android car play / Waze / Spotify streaming via Bluetooth USB aux input is working seamlessly / a treat....... when I get in the phone connects by Bluetooth to both the PCM and AUX input dongle, android auto starts automatically and Spotify streaming continues from when I last left the car. I don’t even touch anything. I had to make and answer several business phone calls whilst driving ..... “Hey google, phone XYZ on mobile”......and it just phones them, the conversation uses the cars microphone and speaker whilst at the same time Spotify pauses and Waze continues to show me routing information on the phone warning me of traffic and speed cameras. It is frankly a state of the art solution. I have just ordered the new Samsung 10 5G which has a screen that us just as large as the OEM headunit. I simply leave that displaying the trip computer but can switch by the press of one button to FM radio whenever I like.....the Bose sound system with roof down is more than enough for my audiophile ears.

In short I am lovin it...... 😎

• Like 1

Glad you’re enjoying the Black Edition, they are a very special car!

My wife and I were out in mine tonight, roof down enjoying the weather etc. When a knob came racing up to my back bumper in a GT4. Normally I wouldn’t rise to the bait but we happened to be on one of my test track roads 😉 I put the car in all the Sports settings and dropped the hammer. I think I caught him by surprise and pulled away from him pretty sharply. He did catch me up just in time to go round one of my favourite roundabouts, I can hit this one pretty hard but with the wife on board I thought I better behave and hit about 80%. Looked in the mirror to see this guy fighting the GT4 with ar*e end fully out 😂

How do you loose the back end of a Cayman GT4 racing a humble un modified Boxster 😉

Needless to say he backed right off and we carried on with our ride up to Bridgnorth for my wife’s birthday meal 👍