My 2011 987 Black Edition

Jonttt

Ok I have my first “problem” with the car and even googling I’m confused at what is causing the problem so thought I would ask the collective wisdom on here to help identify the likely cause before I commit to trying a solution.....

The problem - the drivers window is not dropping and so when closing catch the roof frame

Other points to note

- I’ve not used the car much over the past few weeks (due to holidays, weather and work) but have had it on trickle charger, battery is therefore fully charged

- when use the outside handle the window drops and raises fine ie as it should

- the issue is only when I am exiting the car ie using the interior handle

- if I have the lights on and exit the vehicle, not only does the door not drop but the lights on warning chime does not sound

- I have to exit the car, window still at top position, wind down window using the interior buttons and then lock the car with the remote but keep the button held down to auto close the window fully, however the car does not lock on the drivers side and I have to unlock / lock again using the remote. Sometimes the door locks sometimes it does not.

I think this has been happening a couple of weeks but at first very occasionally and so I thought it was my error (ie door not locking with remote even though the alarm activates etc.... window occasionally not dropping but has got to the point of total failure as above ie every time.

My thoughts:

- I don’t think its power / battery related

- I don’t think its “window” mechanism related

- I don’t think it exterior door handle related

googling show me that there is a micro switch in the door mechanism which tells the car weather the door is shut or not. That is the most likely candidate of failure BUT would that not mean that using the exterior handle would cause the same problem ? That is the bit which is confusing me ie why is it working fine via the exterior handle but not the interior ?

I can’t seem to find any reference on google to a separate dedicated interior handle micro switch so presume there is not one. So the only thing that makes sense is that the door latch micro switch has x2 inputs ie one from the exterior and one from the interior door but the interior one has failed ?

Does that make sense ? Are the above normal symptoms of the door microswitch failing ?

The part is relatively cheap (c£30) but I think you need to remove the inner metal door membrane to get at it which I want to avoid unless I have to ie if you ruin the membrane seal its either a silicone job or new membrane for c£200 to replace ie I want some certainty that I need to do this to fix the problem......

of course I could try and claim under warranty from the dealer I bought the car from but a) I can’t be bothered with the 2 hour each way drive to leave the car with them b) I don’t mind fixing myself if need be and it will cost me less than the petrol (unless I ruin the door membrane lol)....

Interesting!

I had a similar issue with my 987.1 after I had masked the car up to paint the roof trims. I had used plastic sheeting and closed the window and hood to hold it in place, it did the job but after removing it I had the issue with the window dropping.

I googled and concluded it was the door handle micro switch and even bought the part for the repair. Luckily after 10 days or so it fixed itself and I never had to get into replacing it😩

I would try and use the car a bit and see if it goes back to normal. I think another thing I would try is maybe disconnecting the battery and seeing if that resets it 👍

Thanks, I've just nipped out in the car as the suns decided to show itself........and it worked perfectly just to confuse things. I'll trying disconnecting the battery for a bit tomorrow.

So this gets more confusing.....

my "normal" operating procedure is to unlock the car via the remote but keep the button pressed down to auto open the windows before I get in. I then drop the roof and drive (I drive the boxster 99% of the time with the roof down). When I park up I put the roof up but the windows stay down (I assume this is the norm as I have put the windows all the way down), I then raise the windows using the window buttons. That is when 100% of the time the windows do not "drop" with the interior handle.

When it worked last night it was one of the very few times I had driven the car without dropping the roof. Driving it home later I dropped the roof as normal and it did not work again.

So I tried this morning using the car / roof as normal just without using the auto window open via the fob and it worked perfectly in all instances ! 

So the problem only seems to be when I use auto window open to drop the windows before I get in the car. Makes no sense at all and if you never auto dropped the windows you would not even know there was a problem.

So this morning I decided to disconnect the battery and see if that makes a difference. The weired thing is that when reconnected I tried opening the door, the window dropped as normal on the handle, open the door stays down fine, close the door....window stayed down ie would not go back up automatically. I tried the other door, same thing. So I did the window reset procedure ie windows fully down via the interior buttons, then riase to the top but keep the button pressed for >5 seconds and then release. The windows then worked perfectly as they should. I've not been able to test anything else yet as it then started lashing it down with rain but I'll hopefully be out in it later today to try and see if the battery disconnect has made any difference. These cars definately have a "personality" lol

The problem with the window not dropping seems to have gone for now......but I've not been using the car with the roof down for the last few days so it may still be an issue with my auto opening the windows........I've decided to live with it for the rest of the summer just being careful to check the window drops each time I use the door. If it still errors I'll investogate it more next summer (the car will be kept in storage over winter).

I can also update on the return of the carbon piece .........I can confirm that I have recieved a full refund from Porscheshop, promptly and without any further correspondance from me  :thumb: 

In fact the have refunded me the total transaction cost which included postage to me so can;t grumble at that  :bandit:

One of the things I missed from my 981 was the auto roof open ie via remote. Its impossible to replicate that on a 987 as the roof mechanism has a physical handle which has to be released from inside the car. However even when that is done you have to site with your finger on the roof button whilst it fully opens / closes (nb it is on touch / auto if the car is moving >5mph but I like to get the roof down before I set off).

The recognised solution to this on a 987 is ....

http://www.mods4cars.com

However the unit is expensive at >£200 and it includes functions I don't need / come standard anyway on the 987.........but when one comes up for sale second hand for < half price you can;t really say no 😁

The item arrived packaged like new, it had been fitted by the previous owner but they had removed it carefully :) (thank you Nolan)

6BNVmlL.jpg

The package comes with comprehensive fitting instructions that can be downloaded from the site so I wonlt repeat the process in full here but I actually read the manual in this case (unusual for me lol) which recommended connecting the unit up to a PC via the supplied USB cable prior to installing to both check the firmware and make any changes to settings I needed........the process was very simple with the drivers installing automatically. You simply run the software downloaded from the site...

Firmware check......

xmvUHrO.jpg

Settings check.....

97Wg1lt.jpg

The main reason for fitting is the one touch roof closure but there are a few others I may experiment with but did not setup to use initially eg using the alarm to chirp to signal alarm on/off, passenger mirror dip on reverse, etc....

Installation was about as easy as you can get when you are patching in a new unit, all of the work is done in the drivers footwell around the fuse box and so lying outside the car and leaning in all the time is the only awkward bit. Only a few tools are needs ie screwdriver, very small flathead screwdriver & some pliers. The process took me about 20 minutes, taking my time and double checking connections. I would recommend what is the norm now ie take pics of the original connections before disconnecting, this is especially usueful when putting some of the connections back in situ as its not always obvious which way some of the plastic covers go on...

Fuse box cover and surrounding carpet trim removed to expose the main harness from the side. One of the connection blocks from this is then removed to "patch" the module into....

p8NcSKc.jpg

the finished patch install. The module slots neatly into a gap under the fuse board. I connected up and left in situ the USB cable so if I do want to play around with other settings I can simply plus my laptop in after romoving the covers ie no need to unplug the module.

p6Cu5VY.jpg

Some simple checks its all connected up properly as per the instructions and it works fine......I now have one touch roof opening / closing when stationary  :thumb:

Edited by Jonttt

My roof operates up to about 15mph so really easy to put it up and down whilst leaving the drive - seems a lot of money, effort, time to make a solution for a non-problem? It only takes a few seconds and you still have to manually detach the central roof latch

I can't wait to add this to my 981.  I obviously reverse off my drive to slowly for the one touch to work.

I'm also hoping to add the parking mirror assist.  981 requires tapping into modules under the seat - not quite so plug n play as my old 986.

Great pictures and write up - suggest add a thread to the "How To" especially as you have the settings pictured.

14 minutes ago, Patt said:

I can't wait to add this to my 981.  I obviously reverse off my drive to slowly for the one touch to work.

I'm also hoping to add the parking mirror assist.  981 requires tapping into modules under the seat - not quite so plug n play as my old 986.

Great pictures and write up - suggest add a thread to the "How To" especially as you have the settings pictured.

Does the 981 not have one touch lowering? The 718 does. You need to be moving forward for it to work. I use mine regularly as I set off from the house / office. It doesn't work closing, I know that, you have to hold the switch up, but it definitely works for opening. I'll bet the 981 has it too.

Yes the 987, 981 and 718 all have “one touch” lowering when you are moving. The 981 and 718 can also be fully opened / closed when stationary by using the remote fob (as they do not need a catch to be manually opened / closed)..............I fitted this to the 987 to allow me to “one touch” open close whilst stationary....because.......that’s the way I like to do it. I do use the one touch whilst moving if the weather changes but given I start most journeys with the roof down then that’s when I use the roof most of the time. Yes it expensive for a little extra convenience but such is life, you makes your choices and pays your money.

29 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

Does the 981 not have one touch lowering? The 718 does. You need to be moving forward for it to work. I use mine regularly as I set off from the house / office. It doesn't work closing, I know that, you have to hold the switch up, but it definitely works for opening. I'll bet the 981 has it too.

"I obviously reverse off my drive to slowly for the one touch to work."

Should have gone to Specsavers 😄

I had chance to put the one touch roof operation into use a few times today, was nice to be able to just flick the switch at traffic lights and not have to worry about the lights changing etc....... :thumb: 

ps had a great Porsche meet in Wilmslow this morning, need more Boxster’s there though as many have moved them on for 911 / other exotica. It’s a great friendly meet once a month. I’ll post details up for the next one if anyone is interested.

No its with a group of guys from 911UK, details here (if I’m allowed to post up from another forum), http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=135371&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60 

The Bull's Head,         
Wilmslow Road,         
Mottram St Andrew,         
SK10 4QH

very friendly petrol heads talking Porsche (and the odd lambo lol). Great mix of models from air cooled to GT3RS’s but I’m feeling a bit outnumbered lately so could do with some more Boxster’s in the mix 😉 There where x3 981GTS, a GT4 up until recently but the others have downgraded to 911’s and I upgraded to a 987 ! Nice food as well and we get the use of a separate car park at the back with its own dining room.

In all seriousness would be great to see some other model Boxster’s there and if you relatively local its a nice way to chew the fat for a few hours.

On 9/5/2019 at 2:31 PM, Jonttt said:

The problem with the window not dropping seems to have gone for now......but I've not been using the car with the roof down for the last few days so it may still be an issue with my auto opening the windows........I've decided to live with it for the rest of the summer just being careful to check the window drops each time I use the door. If it still errors I'll investogate it more next summer (the car will be kept in storage over winter).

I can also update on the return of the carbon piece .........I can confirm that I have recieved a full refund from Porscheshop, promptly and without any further correspondance from me  :thumb: 

In fact the have refunded me the total transaction cost which included postage to me so can;t grumble at that  :bandit:

So out of the blue tonight the drivers window refused to drop. I had to sit in the car and set / unset the alarm to lock / unlock the car before after c5 goes the window started to drop again on pulling the interior handle.

The fault definitely seems intermittent but always the same symptoms ie window won’t drop on pulling the inside drivers handle. Once it does drop everything else works fine ie stays dropped on actually opening the door and releasing the interior handle, works fine using the exterior handle, always raises when shutting the door. I think its almost certainly the inner door microswitch has an intermittent fault.

I have found the below great explanation of how the micro switches work and cause / effect. This is for a 996 but I think it works exactly the same for a 987 unless anyone can tell me differently ?............

DOOR MICROSWITHES 

There are seven microswitches in each door which control the alarm system. 

Two are separate switches: 

a) One on the outside door handle. This switch is used to sense that the handle is lifted. 
b) One on the inside door handle, which has the same function. 

When the car is unlocked and either handle is lifted, this signals the alarm control module (ACM) to lower the appropriate window by 10mm, and turn on the interior lights. As soon as the door opens, another switch inside the door lock (explained later) tells the ACM that the door is open, which holds the window down until the door is closed, when the window is raised, and the dimming timer on the interior lights is started. Once the car is locked, the outside handle switches are ignored by the ACM. 

The remaining five switches are inside the door lock assembly: 

c) One switch senses if the door is open or closed. 
d) One senses that the key has been turned to the ‘lock’ position. 
e) Another senses that the key has been turned to the ‘unlock’ position. 
f) One senses that the door lock motor has reached the ‘lock’ position. 
g) Another senses that the door lock motor has reached the ‘unlock’ position. 

TYPICAL FAULTS 

All these microswitches can be problematic, and it is common for one or more to fail at some time. These are some of the common failures and symptoms: 

1) The door window won’t drop when lifting a handle. This is usually the handle microswitchwhich has failed. 

2) The window drops, but goes back up when the door opens. This can be the handle microswitch, or more likely the ‘door open/closed microswitch’ (c) has stuck. Because the system thinks the door is still closed, it sends the window back up. 

3) Door window won’t go up the last 10mm. This is likely to be the ‘door open/closed microswitch’ (c) stuck in the opposite sense to (2). The system thinks the door is still open, so won’t allow the window to go back up. Note that in this case the door will still lock, but you may get a single-beep from the alarm horn. 

4) Door will not lock with key. The ‘key lock’ microswitch (d) is broken. This is very rare, as this microswitch is hardly ever used – most times the car is locked by remote. 

5) Door will not unlock with key. The ‘key lock’ microswitch (e) is broken. This is also very rare, for the same reason. 

6) Door locks, and then immediately unlocks, usually accompanied by a double-beep from the alarm horn. This is the ‘door locked’ microswitch (f). The locking motor physically operates the door lock, but the microswitch to sense this has failed/stuck. The ACM promptly unlocks the car. In this case, the only way to lock the door is to use the emergency locking procedure. Turn the key in the door to the lock position and back three times in quick succession. 

7) The door unlocks, but there is a beep from the alarm horn. This is the ‘door unlocked’ microswitch (g). Although the door is unlocked, the ACM has not recognised that. The alarm will not sound, as turning the key in the lock has deactivated it. 

FIXES 

The inside and outside handle microswitches are available separately, and are not too expensive. Although alternative equivalent switches may be available, the genuine Porsche switch comes with a connector and wiring, so it makes sense to use an original

16 hours ago, Jonttt said:

DOOR MICROSWITHES 

There are seven microswitches in each door which control the alarm system. 

Two are separate switches: 

a) One on the outside door handle. This switch is used to sense that the handle is lifted. 
b) One on the inside door handle, which has the same function. 

When the car is unlocked and either handle is lifted, this signals the alarm control module (ACM) to lower the appropriate window by 10mm, and turn on the interior lights. As soon as the door opens, another switch inside the door lock (explained later) tells the ACM that the door is open, which holds the window down until the door is closed, when the window is raised, and the dimming timer on the interior lights is started. Once the car is locked, the outside handle switches are ignored by the ACM. 

The remaining five switches are inside the door lock assembly: 

c) One switch senses if the door is open or closed. 
d) One senses that the key has been turned to the ‘lock’ position. 
e) Another senses that the key has been turned to the ‘unlock’ position. 
f) One senses that the door lock motor has reached the ‘lock’ position. 
g) Another senses that the door lock motor has reached the ‘unlock’ position. 

TYPICAL FAULTS 

All these microswitches can be problematic, and it is common for one or more to fail at some time. These are some of the common failures and symptoms: 

1) The door window won’t drop when lifting a handle. This is usually the handle microswitchwhich has failed. 

2) The window drops, but goes back up when the door opens. This can be the handle microswitch, or more likely the ‘door open/closed microswitch’ (c) has stuck. Because the system thinks the door is still closed, it sends the window back up. 

3) Door window won’t go up the last 10mm. This is likely to be the ‘door open/closed microswitch’ (c) stuck in the opposite sense to (2). The system thinks the door is still open, so won’t allow the window to go back up. Note that in this case the door will still lock, but you may get a single-beep from the alarm horn. 

4) Door will not lock with key. The ‘key lock’ microswitch (d) is broken. This is very rare, as this microswitch is hardly ever used – most times the car is locked by remote. 

5) Door will not unlock with key. The ‘key lock’ microswitch (e) is broken. This is also very rare, for the same reason. 

6) Door locks, and then immediately unlocks, usually accompanied by a double-beep from the alarm horn. This is the ‘door locked’ microswitch (f). The locking motor physically operates the door lock, but the microswitch to sense this has failed/stuck. The ACM promptly unlocks the car. In this case, the only way to lock the door is to use the emergency locking procedure. Turn the key in the door to the lock position and back three times in quick succession. 

7) The door unlocks, but there is a beep from the alarm horn. This is the ‘door unlocked’ microswitch (g). Although the door is unlocked, the ACM has not recognised that. The alarm will not sound, as turning the key in the lock has deactivated it.

@Araf how about cutting and pasting the text above and making it a sticky? Great explanation...

8 hours ago, entdgc said:

@Araf how about cutting and pasting the text above and making it a sticky? Great explanation...

Anyone too lazy to google the explanation won't be bothered to read it all. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 12:32 PM, Jonttt said:

Next comes one of the .........

- easiest

- most noticeable

- not cheap

Mods you can do to any Porsche with factory OEM PASM fitted........ the DSC PASM replacement controller.....

This is a very well known mod which just makes the PASM (variable dampers) much more useable. The 987.2 uses the same module as the 997.2 and does not require the additional accelerometer required for the earlier 987.1 and 997.1 (none turbo) ie .2 cars have these fitted as standard).

https://www.dscsport.com/product/dsc-vplug-n-play/

"The DSC Sport Controller expands the dynamic range and rate of response of your factory damper controller, providing both improved track performance and a more comfortable ride on the street. It simply replaces the factory PASM controller with the DSC Sport Plug N Play controller. Like all DSC Sport controllers, the DSC Sport V1 Plug N Play Controller allows users to tune by g-force, brake pressure, acceleration, speed, steering, and control the effective damping range via shock calibration.

DSC features 2 modes, “Normal” and “Sport” which will display on the dash during mode selection. Mode display on the dash in the same way that the factory controller does."

These cost c£1,050 from the UK approved suppliers but do come up occassionally second hand. As there are no moving parts they is no "wear" element of the module, they therefore command strong money but I managed to get one for £700 delivered from a 997.2

P1m3jzq.jpg

RVvE2TF.jpg

Fitting really is a doddle, you just put your hand up to side of the passenger footwell and feel for the OEM unit. At the bottom there is a retaining tab which you just ease and the unit pulls down and out easily...

M0CCZvD.jpg

you then just push in the lugs holding the wiring connector and pull free...

Side by side...

TOy98Kz.jpg

Fitting is simply the reversal although it is a little more fiddly to slide the unit back into the top retaining bracket and push back in place the lower tab......

So thats it job done........ the first thing you notice is that the DSC unit is more flexible in its settings ie the OEM unit switches on both PASM and Sport together, you can then switch off PASM if you just want sport engine mapping. As OEM Sport PASM is not driveable on english roads this was always a pain as you had to switch on Sport then swithc off PASM. Also when you turn off the ignitition all revert to OFF. With the DSC controller Sport and PASM are completely seperate settings, so you can just turn on Sport without PASM if you like. The unit also remembers the last PASM setting when ignition is turned off.

The central dial notificaiton is fully supported as per the OEM unit..

rjKYCDg.jpg

oIMKThH.jpg

z5yysYS.jpg

qvWWDMo.jpg

Other than test for errors I've not had chance to try this mod out yet but will report back when I've had some experience of it in real world driving......

Lovely car @Jonttt do you have any feedback yet from the DSC sport v1 mod?

Yes, it lives up to its rep as it:

- totally transforms the PASM system in practical use ie Sport mode is now useable and even preferable to "normal" mode so you really do get a two car setup. In OEM mode Sport PASM really is not useable on anything other than track use. So with Sport chrono you effectively have 4 useable options ie

- normal thottle and normal PASM

- Normal throttle and sport PASM

- Sport throttle and Sport PASM

- Sport throttle and normal PASM

my default is Sport Throttle and normal PASM and I press Sport PASM when I'm pushing on

- its a "cheap" mod in the sense that they are easy to sell second hand for c£800 (depends to some degree on dollar exchange rate as currently £1,100ish new) eg I paid £700 for mine so could actually make money on it. Given they are a 2 min job to swap over there is no problem

- the software that comes free with then is awesome if your that way inclined. I have tinkered with the normal setting on mine to compensate for Boxster (default is for a 997) and the "rougher" roads in Liverpool which are my default ie I found the standard normal map for the 997 a little too harsh for my local roads so softened it a little. Takes a little getting your head around the software but once it clicks its great fun to tinker with the settings.

- in short it really does make the system "adaptive" whereas the OEM unit does not feel like its actually adapting to the road / driving style as Sport is just so harsh its unuseable on the road.

Edited by Jonttt

As a further update whilst I'm at it the "one touch" roof module has been awesome, the difference just flicking the switch when stationary and getting on with other things whilst the roof open's / closes is just "worth it" to me. Even at half price I paid it was expensive but does what it says on the tin perfectly.

Whilst I've not driven the 987 PASM, I do feel you are being just a bit harsh on it's "sport" mode.

I have driven the 981 PASM, and I personally felt that the sports mode was the same as the M030 sports option on the 986. 

Thus was on my wish list for my 981.  Sadly the car I bought was on standard suspension, and I fully intend to retrofit the sports suspension (X73?) that will be a permanent state.

My roads are not great but I am used to various sports cars with stiffer suspension.  The BMW "M" suspension is way worse as it is just to "crashy" in the rebound.

There are plans for me to test/set up a DSC on John's 981S, I hope it doesn't make me completely regret buying a non PASM car.