What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

Added some security (hopefully) - Ring video doorbell installed now so that:

a. there is recorded coverage of my drive with the Boxster on it

b. I can have a look at the car whenever I'm away

c. I can answer visitors while I'm out or upstairs (I think in theory this one was actually supposed to be the main reason I bought one...)

JdDkHLG.jpg

Try the AUTODOC app. £87 I think. Only just looked at it for the Boxster and they have all sorts of parts on there from a choice of different (Bosch etc) manufacturer’s. I bought some parts from them for other cars and the delivery was not the fastest (I expect you can pay extra), they turned up in around 5 days. I think they are based in Germany.

Might be ordering some new wiper blades £17 for Bosch ones with the bent passenger side blade. I suppose I should have checked the price of the tuning forks. They seam to do just about everything and the search engine is quite a bit more specific than most so we might actually get the right parts....

Last rear spring to do, everything undone other than another drop link that totally refuses to move😩 Top tip buy a car that at some point these have been replaced, let someone else previously to have had the grief!!!

What is it about the drop links that refuse to play ball? I've never done the job but will be doing so in the near future so am curious to know. 

Is it that the nut won't come off the end? Or that the drop link won't come out of the ARB? Or is it the suspension member end that causes problems? 

I presume that people are hitting it with the usual stuff; penetrant spray? Heat? Blowtorch-then-freezer-spray thermal shock? Drilling along the length of the bit that won't come out? Big hammer? 

7 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

What is it about the drop links that refuse to play ball? I've never done the job but will be doing so in the near future so am curious to know. 

Is it that the nut won't come off the end? Or that the drop link won't come out of the ARB? Or is it the suspension member end that causes problems? 

I presume that people are hitting it with the usual stuff; penetrant spray? Heat? Blowtorch-then-freezer-spray thermal shock? Drilling along the length of the bit that won't come out? Big hammer? 

Getting the metal bolts out the hub carrier is the problem, steel and aluminium cause galvanised corrosion.

I did one of my rears drop links and it took about 6 hours to shift it, tried impact wrenches, heat etc.. finally got it out with a make shift press. Left the other one for my Porsche indy to do and he said it was a pain, took him 2 hours.

Trust me I am well versed in getting stubborn stuff out( millwright by trade) these things can physically weld them selves in, on the car you have not real way of getting a good swing at them, remove hub etc then you may have a chance, to get it moving, to drill out its bone hard...second hand hub drastic I know but could be the easiest option

It’s out eventually, but a bucket load of bits on the floor..... regroup deep breath , put it all back next week sometime, that’s all the lowering springs done now, just appreciate how lucky I have been in the past doing the same job!!

23 hours ago, detail1 said:

Getting the metal bolts out the hub carrier is the problem, steel and aluminium cause galvanised corrosion.

I did one of my rears drop links and it took about 6 hours to shift it, tried impact wrenches, heat etc.. finally got it out with a make shift press. Left the other one for my Porsche indy to do and he said it was a pain, took him 2 hours.

If you are lucky one good smack is enough, but if seized there is no enough room to apply brute force and ignorance, simpler to bite the bullet and remove the hub , at least then you can cut out the middle and remove the strut, leave two halves in, you will find once doing this the threaded section will move and come out , cutting away each time as it exposes , the shank section is where it gets seized solid, but to drill out there is only 20 mm to go at, whoever ends up buying any car I have worked on will never have this issue, because everything regardless trim screws you name it gets buttered in copaslip.

Replaced rear coffin arms, track rod, tuning forks and drop links. A few bolts were and absolute nightmare but fortunately didn't have ballys problems. The nuts meant it took way longer than it should though!

Car wasn't in desperate need for them but after doing the same at the front late last year and having accumulated the parts, decided to do all at once and have 1 alignment.

Alignment booked for Tuesday, hoping the car will be sorted and trouble free for spring......

38 minutes ago, Rooose said:

Replaced rear coffin arms, track rod, tuning forks and drop links. A few bolts were and absolute nightmare but fortunately didn't have ballys problems. The nuts meant it took way longer than it should though!

Car wasn't in desperate need for them but after doing the same at the front late last year and having accumulated the parts, decided to do all at once and have 1 alignment.

Alignment booked for Tuesday, hoping the car will be sorted and trouble free for spring......

How lucky, and as mentioned so have I been in the past, think this is the fifth one I have rebuilt, and have had every thing I've managed to dodge in the past all served up on one plate!!

9 hours ago, bally4563 said:

How lucky, and as mentioned so have I been in the past, think this is the fifth one I have rebuilt, and have had every thing I've managed to dodge in the past all served up on one plate!!

Lucky indeed, although when I did the front, the coffin arms had to be cut out, the chassis bolts on those were siezed solid, so I feel your pain!

54 minutes ago, Deano37 said:

Will be fitting this when home from work!

Birthday present from the wife 😃

Fantastic work by Royal Steering Wheels.

nkelWAz.jpgBTgSycj.jpg

2LlUQXE.jpgb8q0pgb.jpg

Very nice!  Jack and co do a quality job at Royal Steering Wheels, I couldn't recommend them enough!