What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

45 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Mine was only a tiny drip on the return line, so the top pipe.

Same! I've lost probably a table spoon of coolant but I can't see it getting better and I'm not totally confident in it holding up on track etc.

I think I'm going to do both so will tackle the bottom one first as you suggest.

Was it hard to get the old ones out without dropping the subframe?

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Same! I've lost probably a table spoon of coolant but I can't see it getting better and I'm not totally confident in it holding up on track etc.

I think I'm going to do both so will tackle the bottom one first as you suggest.

Was it hard to get the old ones out without dropping the subframe?

Bottom will be easier with top out of the way, so you are going to be doing both, if you follow my tips and you are handy, no need to drop subframe, not overly difficult just awkward and will take a couple of hours, factor in dropping subframe no brainer , more a pain than owt, under tray etc

17 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Bottom will be easier with top out of the way, so you are going to be doing both, if you follow my tips and you are handy, no need to drop subframe, not overly difficult just awkward and will take a couple of hours, factor in dropping subframe no brainer , more a pain than owt, under tray etc

Awesome. Once the parts have arrived I'll make a start

9 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Awesome. Once the parts have arrived I'll make a start

For the tiny drip I had I did contemplate pulling the hose and applying Some Loctite 577 pipe sealant and I know that would cure it but was I just putting something off?

58 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

For the tiny drip I had I did contemplate pulling the hose and applying Some Loctite 577 pipe sealant and I know that would cure it but was I just putting something off?

I tried some self amalgamating tape but it felt like a bodge

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

I tried some self amalgamating tape but it felt like a bodge

Yes it looks like what happens is that it is possible to get the old corroded hoses out but the sealing face gets pitted, hence so long as the clamp area is still good and intact it’s possible sealer would work

On 6/17/2020 at 9:52 PM, The Smudger said:

Here goes...

X9k9xBx.jpg

Cqsqypi.jpg

Hi Smudger,

Thanks for posting the pics, as have some coming to hopefully fit this weekend before I accumulate more leaves in there.

Just wanted to ask how the fitting went, as they mention to use masking tape and am sure I've seen some posts with people saying they really cut your hands up if you don't wear gloves / would quite easily scratch the paint?

Thanks -- Babaa

4 hours ago, mark-yorkshire said:

Fitted led lights in trunk and front tonight.A simple swap ( a minute each) of the oem lights for these:

AAD00D13-17F2-4664-9380-0AB9310F7277.png

I know someone that changed all their interior lights to cool white LED and couldn't see a damn thing in the car at night! 

I much prefer warm white light as a human eye can see much better with a lower colour temperature. Hence why old yellow sodium street lights are much better than the modern LED ones for actually seeing objects, not for distinguishing colour.

For LED lights I can't help thinking it's a bit like The Emperor's New Clothes. 

Each to their own though and I hope you don't take my post the wrong way. 

9 hours ago, Babaa said:

Hi Smudger,

Thanks for posting the pics, as have some coming to hopefully fit this weekend before I accumulate more leaves in there.

Just wanted to ask how the fitting went, as they mention to use masking tape and am sure I've seen some posts with people saying they really cut your hands up if you don't wear gloves / would quite easily scratch the paint?

Thanks -- Babaa

Hi Babaa,

I have to say i love these grilles, for their functionality first, and secondly the aesthetics. Leaves will definitely go into the cooling intakes and get stuck in front of the radiators. This will have a detrimental effect on cooling of course, albeit marginal, but for me and most importantly the functionality is the most important aspect. Dead leaves mixed with water and road grime will mulch down into a potentially acidic substance and rot the bottom of the radiators out, necessitating an expensive repair. So, although these grilles are rather expensive, i see them as a 'preventative maintenance' step that could save you a small fortune (not to mention an embarrassing breakdown!).

The first side i did, i fitted masking tape and was very careful like the instructions say. But....

I think in this day and age all instructions go a bit OTT, second one, no tape. They fit really easy, no sharp edges, high quality in my opinion. Gloves? no need at all. They will not scratch you or the paint if you are sensible. the instructions however mention you need to put the outer (towards the wheel) part in first, this is a MUST DO, otherwise its easy to scratch the paintwork.

This next part is also a MUST if there is a lot of debris in the intakes.

I removed the lower light units (2 Phillips screws at the bottom part of the lamp unit, very easy to see but can be difficult to remove as Porsche scrimped on the screws and fixings, so they were a little corroded but a good spray with WD40 beforehand helped) so as to get my hands in and get all the rubbish out. Do not let the light unit 'hang' by the wires, you will damage them and the paint, the bulb holders just simply twist out anti-clockwise. Then i took the vacuum cleaner to the intakes, and using a PLASTIC tool (i used a small plastic bicycle tyre lever edge) got all the muck out of the bottom of the intake by the radiator (be very careful, DO NOT USE A METAL SCREWDRIVER OR SHARP EDGE AS YOU WILL DAMAGE THE RADIATORS!!), then if its really mucky (N/S was on mine) run some clean water using a hosepipe through it, and when ALL the debris is out, a liberal spraying with WD40 at the bottom of the radiators just for piece of mind really. Take a long time doing this step, as I said before rotted leaf matter can be acidic and WILL rot the radiators out.

Then the grilles literally just clip into the black plastic intake surround, NOT the painted part of the bumper, all very easy.

One more tip, I fitted mine in around 15 minutes with all the cleaning out etc, but when i got into the car and started up a BULB FAILURE warning light was on as one of the front side light bulbs had blown. I think simply by removing the lamps and bulb i had disturbed/damaged an already 'weak' bulb. so i had to remove the grilles again to gain access to the screws! When you have cleaned out the debris from the inlets, re-fit the bulbs and screw the light units back in the car, THEN test the lights BEFORE you fit the grilles.

TIP TO REMOVE THE GRILLE FOR BULB CHANGES.

The grilles will need to be removed to gain access to the lights, if you need to change a bulb. The grilles MUST BE REMOVED IN REVERSE ORDER TO FITTING. i.e. they are fitted by putting the outside in first, inside in last, so they are removed inside first, outside last. This will make complete sense when you fit them.

They are removed simply by using a PLASTIC wedge or similar pushed gently in-between the grille and the body on the INSIDE, then gently releasing the INNER tag. Take care to hold the grille with your other hand as when the inner tag is released the grille could 'pop' out onto the floor.

So as to aid removal, before you fit the grilles in, put a small piece of white masking tape (could be normal red/blue tape, just needs to be highly visible) on the INNER (nearest the number plate) of the 3 fixing tags on the grilles as the grills need to be removed to change the bulbs in those units as if you chose black grilles like mine, it is very difficult to see where the tag is once the grille is in, so you end up 'poking' around blindly trying to find the tag to remove the grille, scratching or damaging the grille or the car. The tape cannot be seen when looking at the car from a normal angle, only when close up so it won't ruin the looks of your car!

If you need any more info please let me know, i am quite happy to do a 'HOW TO' video if you want one.

Best regards,

Steve.

Edited by The Smudger
  • Like 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for the useful info and additional tips about removing lights for more space to clear leaves / and spraying WD40 after clearing - would never have thought of that, but sounds like a good protective tip 😉.

I also didn't realise that after fitting they need to be removed each time to be able to change bulbs at the front so may consider a set of new bulbs like you suggest before fitting them.

Got them on the same basis as yourself really, with the preventative benefit being the main reason but also helps (and I suppose justifies the price), that they look good / kind of factory fit and you don't have to take parts of the car apart to fit them.

I'm pretty sure that with all the tips you've shared, I should be good & will get some pics up for how it looks after.

Thanks a lot -- Chris

I ve finished removing over spray off my beautiful black paint. I had my garage door sprayed and took the car out while it was painted. Left it at least 7hrs before I put it away but overspray still managed to settle on it😡

50022524733_ae4c4db049_b.jpg

Looks and feels a lot better for a clay and single stage polish all over. 

50022525023_cf803e3452_b.jpg

I also managed to have a quick look at the car outside of the garage with the newly fitted 5mm wheel spacers. 

7 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I ve finished removing over spray off my beautiful black paint. I had my garage door sprayed and took the car out while it was painted. Left it at least 7hrs before I put it away but overspray still managed to settle on it😡

50022524733_ae4c4db049_b.jpg

Looks and feels a lot better for a clay and single stage polish all over. 

50022525023_cf803e3452_b.jpg

I also managed to have a quick look at the car outside of the garage with the newly fitted 5mm wheel spacers. 

Nice upgrade do it on all the ones I’ve had

Looking good.......I’ve managed to source a full set of x4 OEM spacers with OEM 5mm extended bolts (red collars) and the longer hub screws second hand off eBay for a bargain........they are silver so I will need to spray everything black but they should be like new when I’ve finished ....thanks for the idea......ps get some of the LED side indicators you asked about....they are ace on the black edition 😉

Vdd6E3F.gif

Edited by Jonttt

44 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

Looking good.......I’ve managed to source a full set of x4 OEM spacers with OEM 5mm extended bolts (red collars) and the longer hub screws second hand off eBay for a bargain........they are silver so I will need to spray everything black but they should be like new when I’ve finished ....thanks for the idea......ps get some of the LED side indicators you asked about....they are ace on the black edition 😉

Vdd6E3F.gif

They do look great and I probably will order some in the next week. I did get some more pictures of the car outside for you but it is difficult to see the difference in the pictures but it definitely looks more chunky 😎

50023067161_d679a20f73_b.jpg

50022525003_9eda9649e0_b.jpg

50023067181_b151ace7ab_b.jpg

Claybar'ed off 15 years of muck. Shinier. Also swapped out the nasty knicker elastic and the headlining now tucks correctly. Also learnt how to open the frunk when the battery is flat....... I am now considering some kind of diy paint correction, and maybe ceramic coating. Washed the seatbelts in a bucket with some Persil got a lot of much out of them as they wouldn't rewind fast enough, the were still reluctant to retract after so ended up using furniture polish now fine. 

Can't get photos to upload :-0

1 hour ago, lostinespace said:

I tried putting a google photos link in there but it just goes pink

The trick with Google photos links is to paste the link into this website https://www.labnol.org/embed/google/photos/ the use the Insert Other Media button on here. You can then edit the last part of the link (w=???) to change the width and it works a treat.

ifH4agTLfa6q7R2KJOAA5dynH3PsAo4K30kxihLo

1 hour ago, lostinespace said:

I am getting some error about having 1000 uploads on flickr, I tried putting a google photos link in there but it just goes pink. 

https://tinyurl.com/ydx87nzr

Cheers anyway. 

Try www.imgur.com

You can just drop images onto the page and it'll upload them and provide links.

Edited by minimoog