What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

@andygo, @Lennym1984 as you got this - I'm about to have my 987.1 callipers serviced so it would make sense to fit this at the same time.  Can you tell me if the two master cylinders look any different, as I'd be an idiot to buy this if my car already had one fitted?!  Thanks!

Is that non-UK restriction still there? I wonder if people are taking them back off now that the Brexit deal has been done, it might have been to protect themselves in case of no deal.

The 2 M/c's look identical, just the part numbers are different. I think you should be able to tell by feel alone if you have a GT3 version, it's really quite a firm 'feel' with not a lot of travel.

However, I suspect that althouh my car has a full OPC service history with multiple fluid changes noted in the service book, those fluid changes may have been carried out by just using the outer bleed screw on each caliper rather than the inner one as well, basically leaving the inner part of the caliper with aged fluid intact....

OK many thanks.  I'm too incompetent to tell the difference in feel!* Is the part number easily visible on the unit when it's mounted? I'll try to look for one, either by eye or if I have to get out my fibre optic camera I can.

*And if anyone asks why I do it if I can't feel the difference - "because I can" :) 

a cheeky little 40 mile blast around the countryside.

roof down, heated seats and heater on flat out.

wonderful, just wonderful driving.

the day I even consider garaging my 987 over winter is the day it goes up for sale.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, beaks said:

the day I even consider garaging my 987 over winter is the day it goes up for sale.

A brave man it’s -3 in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

13 minutes ago, beaks said:

I think it was a barmy +3 when I was out...

and come on, I thought you Scottish were double hard !?

I think the point was that at -3C we would be risking sunburn putting the hood down.

• Haha 2

Gave it its first wash since I bought it (only 10 days ago). A wash and thorough dry is a great way to spot any imperfections. All I found was a very light scratch on the rear wing that I hadn’t seen when I bought it. It really is in remarkable condition for an almost 12 year old car - a credit to its one previous owner.

Too dark to photograph by the time I’d finished. I’ll try tomorrow if the weather’s decent.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:24 PM, Menoporsche said:

OK many thanks.  I'm too incompetent to tell the difference in feel!* Is the part number easily visible on the unit when it's mounted? I'll try to look for one, either by eye or if I have to get out my fibre optic camera I can.

*And if anyone asks why I do it if I can't feel the difference - "because I can" :) 

I had a peep at my original M/C this afternoon. I can't really see any ID to differentiate the particular unit from the GT3 version. I suspect they have the same basic casting and are then bored out internally to the desired piston size.

I's probably assume you have a standard one and if it turns out your existing one is a GT3 version after all, I would imagine you could flog the replacement without it costing you a lot.

Otherwise I guess your best bet is to try a known GT3 equipped car and evaluate the difference. It's pretty obvious to tell IMHO.

5 hours ago, beaks said:

I'm with you beaks. I don't even have a garage so I may as well be driving it😀.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Many thanks Andy :) 

EDIT - just ordered it from the Ebay supplier. €86, plus 18 postage to Portugal. 

Is this the same supplier that won’t ship to the UK?

Just washed the car.  It was filthier than @John K's mind as it hadn't been touched for a couple of months (lockdown closed my local hand wash).

There was a bit of hail, as I was finishing but needs must. :)

• Haha 2

Washed and waxed in preparation for the Tier 5 national lockdown 😫

Rear lights

managed to drop on a pair of red rears, to replace the flaky delaminated originals, both bought individually, for a price less than half the cost of one knew one, it pays to search around, in fact as part of Boxta ownership, wether it’s servicing, overhauling , modifying , spirited runs out, is another avenue I enjoy , finding bargains!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Rear lights

managed to drop on a pair of red rears, to replace the flaky delaminated originals, both bought individually, for a price less than half the cost of one knew one, it pays to search around, in fact as part of Boxta ownership, wether it’s servicing, overhauling , modifying , spirited runs out, is another avenue I enjoy , finding bargains!!

Put new all red rears on my SE in the summer due to the common flaking issue on the originals.  It makes a hell of a difference to the look of the car, much cleaner and meaner! 😀

• Like 1