What have YOU done to your 987 today

Tony Daniel

3 hours ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Agreed, certainly not spoiling the fun, back in work tomorrow night for 4 nights so it's tucked up in the garage until Monday.  Sunday night in Glasgow planned months ago. Elastic came today to sort the roof out. Drain plugs and new fuel cap ordered, only cause the retaining strap is broken. 

Afraid to tell you that you can get just the tether forabout a fiver on ebay - don't need to replace the cap as well

• Thanks 1

Well I think I’ve successfully made (for me) the perfect phone mount, or as good as it’s going to get. MagSafe wireless charging, mounted to the pax side of the PCM. Will test it over the next few days. Borrowed heavily from Renns ExactFit but with adjustments. If I do it again (I’m lazy) I should extend it another inch to get the phone further from the far PCM knob. It’s basically a fat T in aluminium, lying on its side, with the top piece stuck inside the cheek panel and the vertical, bent a few times, poking out into the cockpit to form a tab on which I stick the charger. 
Pics once I’m comfortable with it. 

On 11/21/2023 at 11:10 PM, Mattman42 said:

Afraid to tell you that you can get just the tether forabout a fiver on ebay - don't need to replace the cap as well

Which means two quid at OPC??or like ball joints they’re not sold separately?

Need to replace mine. 

Edited by Menoporsche

Drove to work, testing phone mount. It's not the bracket is a problem (though in busy traffic on a known route I didn't keep glancing down to read satnav which will be its main use) but the mag charger; the phone kept blinking on and off as little vibrations would apparently move the phone a mm from centre and the charger kept disconnecting and reconnecting.  Kept thinking I'd received a new message every minute. Hmm.

Charger is this one https://www.amazon.es/-/pt/dp/B09SKYHKVP  If I was more patient I might look for a more powerful one to ensure the phone doesn't run down during extensive satnav use, but among many copies this got good reviews. Or perhaps I'll just get a cable for those days!

God no, I bought a used Brodit at great expense (shipping was a killer) and have been pretty disappointed in it TBH, after all the good reviews. (And I think they are not handed?)

I'll take it apart and take pics when my knees have recovered from fitting it. But it's 90% the ExactFit one, charging. Fixing is by a sticky pad, to the inside of the side panel.

Just been down to the garage. The charger's USB cable is plugged into a cig/USB adapter in pax footwell which has a blue light to show function. I parked and locked the car at 8am in our underground parking. Went down at 9.15 and the blue light is still on - socket seems to stay live, no auto-shutdown? So I might have to unplug it when I leave it for long periods; mildly irritating. Or get one that doesn't have a light, would that light be the only thing keeping the socket live? 

I thought there was an auto-shutdown as well - just went out to check my car, which had a phone cable plugged into the centre armrest 12v socket and it was still lit blue as well (unless unlocking the car switched it on?).

I guess current drain will be minimal if you're not using the charger but still not great.

50 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

Taken a punt on a cheap secondhand exhaust... hope it fits, i take some reassurance that its clearly already been fitted successfully to something!

Hopefully the same model and make lol..Is it a stock or aftermarket?

22 hours ago, brillomaster said:

Taken a punt on a cheap secondhand exhaust... hope it fits, i take some reassurance that its clearly already been fitted successfully to something!

And taken off again, why???

Drain hole check today - had previously cleared the rears when I first got it, but forgot the fronts. The inner 2 front drains were draining slowly so caught them at the right time.

New trombone cleaner ordered from eBay too - £4.40 Inc postage 

1 minute ago, Bike Loon said:

Got a puncture.... Sundays are clearly the worst day to get one in terms of garages being open.

Got a can of tyre weld, hopefully that will do till I can get to the garage tomorrow

I keep one of these in the back of the car , to get me moving until I can get to a garage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/wlw-XtremeAuto-TRIKE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR/dp/B07FW34M8Z/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KZO78MOMMQRP&keywords=tyre%2Brepair%2Bkit&qid=1701018346&sprefix=tyre%2Brepair%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-3&th=1

I loathe the tyre gunk , as do some tyre places...

Good luck sorting.

2 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Got a puncture.... Sundays are clearly the worst day to get one in terms of garages being open.

Got a can of tyre weld, hopefully that will do till I can get to the garage tomorrow

Didn’t you get a can of Porsche tyre weld in the frunk??? Blimey, that’s not very high spec 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

I keep one of these in the back of the car , to get me moving until I can get to a garage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/wlw-XtremeAuto-TRIKE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR/dp/B07FW34M8Z/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KZO78MOMMQRP&keywords=tyre%2Brepair%2Bkit&qid=1701018346&sprefix=tyre%2Brepair%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-3&th=1

I loathe the tyre gunk , as do some tyre places...

Good luck sorting.

Have you tried this yet? Seen the videos and they make it look so easy - not so sure how easy it will be trying to do that on a rear tyre at the side of the M25 while it’s p*ssing down with rain (which you can guarantee will be when it happens)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattman42 said:

Have you tried this yet? Seen the videos and they make it look so easy - not so sure how easy it will be trying to do that on a rear tyre at the side of the M25 while it’s p*ssing down with rain (which you can guarantee will be when it happens)

Not had to.... yet....

It's one weapon in the armoury for me , ahead of the tyre gunk and possibly behind calling out someone to tow me to somewhere to deal with it.

13 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Didn’t you get a can of Porsche tyre weld in the frunk??? Blimey, that’s not very high spec 🤣🤣

I do have one... but don't want to use it in case I get a fussy buyer ;) So used the cheaper version lol

Edited by Bike Loon

20 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

I do have one... but don't want to use it in case I get a fussy buyer ;) So used the cheaper version lol

A really fussy buyer will check the date on it...  Anyway, it is there to be used isn't it?  Or are you like the Army Quartermaster that won't give anything out from stores, in case he runs.

14 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Ubr17Ed.jpeg

Nice.  Is that a gunmetal colour or a gold flecked grey on the wheels?

It’s a gold/bronze flecked grey, was originally going for the neodyme from the 25th anniversary but ended up with darker and a gloss finish, very pleased, colour seems to change fro gunmetal to bronze depending on tangle and light! 

• Thanks 1

Fitted a New Alternator using a DIY of the internet. 1.3hrs for a first timer not to bad, saved the ££ on Labour and huge satisfaction in completing myself. 

About to order it a few treats for it as well tonight. 

Edited by Drrncour
  • Like 2