Manual vs PDK...

rifraf

I’ve just been out in mine and it was the perfect test for the PDK discussion.

A little bit of town driving in auto then onto the country lanes for manual Sports mode action! Absolutely fantastic, as I said it really is like having the best of both worlds.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/9/2019 at 8:40 AM, r1flyguy said:

My previous car was manual, current ones are PDK, do I care? Not really, is it nice? Very much so. Do I prefer one or the other, not any more!

Some will be driving gods & purists, others will just have different views and needs.

I suggest you go try one, if you don’t like it, there’s your answer 😊

+1 on this^^

I've had a couple of 986S manuals, and a 987 pdk - different but both great. I also have another 991 pdk and both it and the 987 are great.

Do I prefer one or other - not really - different animals and different pros and cons - but both are great.

I have flappy paddles on both my PDK cars (it's an easy upgrade to any car to get the paddles retrofitted if it has those annoying buttons when you get it), and to be honest, I rarely use the paddles as the pdk response is just so good.

Current car pdk. 

next one ?  Don’t know until I find the right car.

you have to learn a few tricks to communicate with the pdk. It reads your mind most of the time but sometimes needs a hint. 

i have buttons.  Don’t have an issue with them. Personally wouldn’t change to paddles but equally if a car had paddles then that would be fine as well. 

i like the “best of both worlds” thing. Manual when max fun and variations from there down to the local one way system on a Saturday. 

could of course do that in a manual and I might next time. 

as others have said.  Just drive a few.  But don’t hold back in either. Let them shine and the decide on what made you smile most.  

You do lose the ability to control engine braking on the entrance to a corner, the PDK does do it but you can’t feather it on the clutch and brake like you can with a manual, the PDK really comes into its own on the exit when you really can be brutal through the gears and keep two hands on the wheel at all times which does feel safer but.......ultimately it does feel a little repetitive in a PDK whereas a manual never feels the same twice on the same stretch of road.......as said above no right or wrong which is how good / fun the PDK box is but as the old adage goes “fun is not around the corner, fun is the corner” and in some ways the PDK takes some of that fun away IMHO.

Having just done a palmersport day where all cars are fitted with paddles I can safely say that there was more than enough enjoyment on hand to not worry about a manual. A manual would have removed some of the enjoyment, as the cars are setup so you can really attack into and out of the corners using the paddles to effect engine breaking and absolutely muller the up changes. Coupled with instructors who just want you to go as fast as you can, I was still grinning 48hrs later.

then jumped into my car and the PDK made simple, work of a grinding through a slow moving, stop start M25 journey home.

not sure i’ll Go back to manual again

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

All?? Even the Caterham?

Yep - all except the land rover and the caterhams used in track pursuit. The caterhams on the track have paddles. They told me that it makes it a lot easier for more drivers to maximise their experience and reduces damage to the gearboxes. It also gives the instructors a chance of helping out if someone really needs it.

they used to have aerial atoms a few years back and they had paddles too

I have both albeit in different cars. The 718S is manual and the McCann is PDK (or DSG, actually) as they all are. To me a sports car should have  a manual 'box; they just should. However, as I'm getting on a bit, I can understand the PDK option, especially if your day-to-day motoring involves a lot of town or city driving. Mrs uses McCann as her daily driver and now doesn't really like driving the manual Boxster.

One other thing to consider is servicing. My 986 needed a new clutch at around 60k miles (from memory) and this cost about a grand from an indy. It was a rather low mileage car and the clutch was replaced at about 8 years old. The McCann needs a PDK service every 40k miles (is there a time limit?) at about £300 (dealer prices). I reckon two or three PDK services to every clutch.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm late on this, I have a 987 II with pdk having previously enjoyed 3 manual porsches, what the video does not mention is that the pdk 'learns' your driving habits and adapts to suit, but also the pdk has hidden secrets that not all owners have discovered, for example(s) if you blip on overrun so long as rev limiter allows the pdk will change down - handy for 'sportier' driving down twisties, and if you are really charging and braking hard hard the pdk will auto blip and change down the box so that engine speed is matching road speed - in an emergency stop the box will also down change which helps retardation with engine braking. When Sport or Sport + are selected the box changes up the gears sooo quick that the car sounds like an F1 race car - rrrrrRRRRR-cag!-rrrrrRRR -cag!... such fun. The pdk appears to be as complex as PSM, it's only down sides are that it is a tad heavier than a manual set up and my left leg has atrophied but let's not forget hill start assist, launch control (OMG!) and the option to use manual if you care to pretend you are a driver that 'misses the involvement of having to dip the clutch and play with gear stick H- gates'. More Porkers now sell with pdk than without. Oh another advantage - a pdk car will never record an over rev - it is not possible to exceed rev limiter revs, unlike the poor valves in an old manual with an inept driver who selected the wrong gear... 

8 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I thought you could over-rev when manually shifting down? Not for long, but nevertheless...

If you are going downhill so have gravity as well as accelerator position as an input?

3 hours ago, jonnyspyder said:

I'm late on this, I have a 987 II with pdk having previously enjoyed 3 manual porsches, what the video does not mention is that the pdk 'learns' your driving habits and adapts to suit, but also the pdk has hidden secrets that not all owners have discovered, for example(s) if you blip on overrun so long as rev limiter allows the pdk will change down - handy for 'sportier' driving down twisties, and if you are really charging and braking hard hard the pdk will auto blip and change down the box so that engine speed is matching road speed - in an emergency stop the box will also down change which helps retardation with engine braking. When Sport or Sport + are selected the box changes up the gears sooo quick that the car sounds like an F1 race car - rrrrrRRRRR-cag!-rrrrrRRR -cag!... such fun. The pdk appears to be as complex as PSM, it's only down sides are that it is a tad heavier than a manual set up and my left leg has atrophied but let's not forget hill start assist, launch control (OMG!) and the option to use manual if you care to pretend you are a driver that 'misses the involvement of having to dip the clutch and play with gear stick H- gates'. More Porkers now sell with pdk than without. Oh another advantage - a pdk car will never record an over rev - it is not possible to exceed rev limiter revs, unlike the poor valves in an old manual with an inept driver who selected the wrong gear... 

You're new here aren't you?  😁

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I thought you could over-rev when manually shifting down? Not for long, but nevertheless...

nah - if you try to paddle/manual down shift it does nowt - the pdk lever is not mechanical but is like fbw. No sir, porsche have helped eradicate human folly!!

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

If you are going downhill so have gravity as well as accelerator position as an input?

really? Thinking how complex the information network is in these cars I can't imagine why Porsche would allow an over rev... chortle, in fact gravity is 9.8 m/sec squared whether you are going down hill or on the flat or even up...??? I feel I have read somewhere official that pdk porkers can't over rev...??

3 minutes ago, jonnyspyder said:

really? Thinking how complex the information network is in these cars I can't imagine why Porsche would allow an over rev... chortle, in fact gravity is 9.8 m/sec squared whether you are going down hill or on the flat or even up...??? I feel I have read somewhere official that pdk porkers can't over rev...??

They can't over-rev past the first couple of bands - unless you try and flog your car to Porsche and they download the data.  Then, they will often find a few sparks in range 4-6 and say they don't want the car.  There's a software glitch which can sometimes show up false over-revs.

23 hours ago, jonnyspyder said:

no way, I joined many days ago back in August having a couple of issues with my car and soliciting the superb help & hints from one of your colleagues Paul Peard... would late arrival invalidate my thoughts??

Everyone's thoughts are valid - except maybe @John K ;) 

27 minutes ago, jonnyspyder said:

no way, I joined many days ago back in August having a couple of issues with my car and soliciting the superb help & hints from one of your colleagues Paul Peard... would late arrival invalidate my thoughts??

Old hand then.

Have you picked up on the PDK versus manual undercurrent on here yet?

I made the same faux pas when I was young 🤣

Archived