What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

6 hours ago, cozzykim said:

Are there any variations of the CTEK devices? Should I be looking for a specific S/H model to fit this socket?

That is the Indicator connector (I think it used to be called the Comfort Indicator), which was an optional extra and shows, with coloured lights, the standard of charge of the battery when it's not connected to the battery maintainer. However, the actual physical connection is the same as the standard CTEK connector without the indicator lights, so any current/recent model should physically connect to it.

As to the specific model - check your battery to see if it's an AGM type (which is likely on a 981) - if so you should ideally get a CTEK that has an AGM-specific mode on it - so for example I think the MXS5.0 has it but the 3.8 doesn't; the latter still says in the spec that it's suitable for AGM batteries, but it doesn't have a setting to (presumably) charge them the optimum way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

Exhaust removed Carnewal has arrived, quite a faff not a hexagonal bolt in site , but oxy acetylene and a cutting disc , all out!!

Not sure what he does , the only fresh welding is done from the pipe that attaches to the back box ? Nothing opened up on the back box

On 1/14/2024 at 7:11 PM, Jon61 said:

That is the Indicator connector (I think it used to be called the Comfort Indicator), which was an optional extra and shows, with coloured lights, the standard of charge of the battery when it's not connected to the battery maintainer. However, the actual physical connection is the same as the standard CTEK connector without the indicator lights, so any current/recent model should physically connect to it.

As to the specific model - check your battery to see if it's an AGM type (which is likely on a 981) - if so you should ideally get a CTEK that has an AGM-specific mode on it - so for example I think the MXS5.0 has it but the 3.8 doesn't; the latter still says in the spec that it's suitable for AGM batteries, but it doesn't have a setting to (presumably) charge them the optimum way.

I have two MXS5.0. The older one doesn’t have an AGM setting, the newer one does. CTEK told me I could charge AGM batteries with the older one using the Winter setting. I’ve never had a problem maintaining AGM batteries with either of them.

5 minutes ago, Patt said:

it should get a tad deeper in tone once it has sooted up a bit internally.

Yes he reckons on approx 100 mile, glad I went down this route rather than the Design tec one

• Like 1

It’s funny when you really start digging rear wishbones are starting to delaminate , so guess that’s next job ! One thing is as always any car I own will be right, selling on will never be a issue for a prospective purchaser

16 hours ago, bally4563 said:

It’s funny when you really start digging rear wishbones are starting to delaminate , so guess that’s next job ! One thing is as always any car I own will be right, selling on will never be a issue for a prospective purchaser

That’ll be a bit spendy, or are they available aftermarket now?

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

New boots all round , massive reduction on the Ackerman and greatly reduced road noice , replaced heavily worn P zero,s with Kuhmo ecsta 91

I m bit late to this thread but have you bought this 981 as a keeper or to sell on?

Im just a bit confused as the last thing I saw was a nice fresh paint job on the 987😂

25 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I m bit late to this thread but have you bought this 981 as a keeper or to sell on?

Im just a bit confused as the last thing I saw was a nice fresh paint job on the 987😂

Yep a keeper, decided reluctantly at first to sell whilst it was looking at its best. And the premise to sell was I had to move up two generations, so at the moment this 981 is very good but to my exacting standards, so just going through it and make it reet!

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

And equally everything thing has a price but I couldn’t stand by it , until I know it’s right, hence servicing the gear box was a starting point

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

And equally everything thing has a price but I couldn’t stand by it , until I know it’s right, hence servicing the gear box was a starting point

Mine needs the gearbox service this year 😩

15 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Check your inbox please Gareth 👍🏼

I’ve sent you a few messages recently, maybe your mailbox is full 😉 😂👍🏼

9 hours ago, CMA said:

How are you finding it in comparison to the 986's and 987's you've owned?

I’m liking it , not driven in anger around the twistys yet And that PDK is something else. Difficult to compare as you notice improvement on each generation as you move up.    All are good though 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Car

there you go!

She looks a beauty 👌

3 hours ago, michelin said:

Check your inbox please Gareth 👍🏼

I’ve sent you a few messages recently, maybe your mailbox is full 😉 😂👍🏼

I’ve cleared the inbox out a bit 👍