What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

On 3/5/2024 at 3:42 PM, andygo said:

Isn't it very abrasive - eg tyre muncher?

Depends on the weather (when it's wet it's like an ice rink so hardly any wear), how you drive and how much you spin.  I tend to budget 1mm of wear for a day on the rears. 

I managed 2mm in my 911 rears on a dry day but I must have spun it at 70-80mph 5-6 times, I could smell the money.

I've done two damp to dry days recently and seen about 1mm of wear on the rears.  

On 3/5/2024 at 3:49 PM, Patt said:

I don't recall being worried about tyre usage there, although I could get through a set in 70 miles of track driving.

Have done about 15-20 days at North Weald I reckon with various cars, though all under a ton so not too sure how the wear would be for something more normal.  Doesn't seem overly abrasive but the last several times I've been have been deliberately on cold winter days.

You learn the same (maybe more) at 45 on tarmac at sub 5 degrees as you do at 80 on a summer's day.  Plus you get the satisfaction of Walshy trying to operate a stopwatch with frozen fingers.

Wash and wax and removed the CDR 3.1 head unit in preparation for receiving my new Android Auto from here.

As such, has anyone ever sold their OEM head unit on ebay or alike? From a quick search even this old style CDR goes for £250+ !

Edited by bte123

54 minutes ago, bte123 said:

As such, has anyone ever sold their OEM head unit on ebay or alike?

Doesn’t hurt to try. Think I’ve heard of some who offset their replacement by a surprising amount. 

7 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Photo from my body shop. GT4 style bumper looking good 😎👍

73642658-2d6c-460b-abc8-2b9e357a8bde.jpg

Looks brilliant , I’ve just discovered tho they are very low, learn to drive again around city’s etc 😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Ooh I like that a lot. Not overly fussed about the vent by the bonnet line but not put off by it.

Mentioned to @daz05 about the Cayman bumper before as I like the vent holes but as with all these things it never seems as easy as unbolting one and bolting on the other.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

Looks brilliant , I’ve just discovered tho they are very low, learn to drive again around city’s etc 😉

Yes and I have x73 suspension also😳😳 I’m in GT4 territory regarding ride height. I did think long and hard about it but the fact it’s not a daily and purely a toy swayed my decision. But you’re right. Any slope needs to be taken at an angle and with care 😳😂👍

Hadan interesting couple of days with a 73 plate 3,000 mile old 718GTs, loaned to me whilst my 981 GTS had the l/hand side of the sports exhaust replaced under waranty.

I was a bit sceptical about the step change of the car over my 981, but have to say it was a revelation.

Steering was so precise, corenring very flat and complaint, the power and acceleration bonkers. I think the experience (I went to Oulton Park to watch my son test his race car, so a 300 mile round trip, motorway and lanes) was extremely good but the tyre noise from the 20inch Pirellis was very loud and intrusive, unlike my PS4's Michelins on the same size rims. They spoilt the car for me I'm afraid.

The manual box was slick and a joy, let down by the  fact that 6th felt too low, with 75mph using 3,00RPM instead of the 2,200 ftrom memory on my PDK'd 981.

It had the carbon buckets installed, which although reasonably comfy and not tooo bad to drop in and climb out of, weren'tt quite as good as the standard GTS offerings which have adjustable backrests. If I was tracking the car, then probably a good to have, otherwise I'm pretty nuetral about them TBH.

Overall, a fantastic car, full of tiny tweaks here and there, drove beautifully, espcially considering my car has only 35,000 mies on it.

Would I buy it? Not at the £85k Porsche Silverstone want for it - It's twice the price of my 2016 car but unfortunately not twice as good as my little beauty! Man maths is busy working out if a cheaper one is doable...

Edited by andygo

On 3/18/2024 at 4:50 PM, Ringmaster999 said:

very nice,   out of interest what did that set you back,  is it just bolt straight on?

9 hours ago, andygo said:

Hadan interesting couple of days with a 73 plate 3,000 mile old 718GTs, loaned to me whilst my 981 GTS had the l/hand side of the sports exhaust replaced under waranty.

I was a bit sceptical about the step change of the car over my 981, but have to say it was a revelation.

Steering was so precise, corenring very flat and complaint, the power and acceleration bonkers. I think the experience (I went to Oulton Park to watch my son test his race car, so a 300 mile round trip, motorway and lanes) was extremely good but the tyre noise from the 20inch Pirellis was very loud and intrusive, unlike my PS4's Michelins on the same size rims. They spoilt the car for me I'm afraid.

The manual box was slick and a joy, let down by the  fact that 6th felt too low, with 75mph using 3,00RPM instead of the 2,200 ftrom memory on my PDK'd 981.

It had the carbon buckets installed, which although reasonably comfy and not tooo bad to drop in and climb out of, weren'tt quite as good as the standard GTS offerings which have adjustable backrests. If I was tracking the car, then probably a good to have, otherwise I'm pretty nuetral about them TBH.

Overall, a fantastic car, full of tiny tweaks here and there, drove beautifully, espcially considering my car has only 35,000 mies on it.

Would I buy it? Not at the £85k Porsche Silverstone want for it - It's twice the price of my 2016 car but unfortunately not twice as good as my little beauty! Man maths is busy working out if a cheaper one is doable...

The 4.0 GTS is a great car but I’m the same as you in that it’s not double better than our 981’s. The other issue for me is that you get into Spyder/GT4 at that price point and as a weekend only use I would step up to the GT product.

20 hours ago, robporsche said:

very nice,   out of interest what did that set you back,  is it just bolt straight on?

Budget £1600 -£1700 all in. That’s purchase from Design911. Delivery straight to body shop who painted and fitted the bumper. All you will need which is not included in the kit is a British style number plate plinth. But if your not bothered with having one you could go the stick on plate route.

• Like 1

Passed its MOT and had an annual oil change. Hopefully four wheel alignment tomorrow and she’s ready for the summer 😎👍

Might have to blacken out behind the central air intake and maybe similar for the vent below the bonnet. But I could be just going OTT with this. Time will tell 😂👍

IMG-5874.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Passed its MOT and had an annual oil change. Hopefully four wheel alignment tomorrow and she’s ready for the summer 😎👍

Might have to blacken out behind the central air intake and maybe similar for the vent below the bonnet. But I could be just going OTT with this. Time will tell 😂👍

IMG-5874.jpg

That’s looking fab, it’s just a great bumper design.

• Like 1

Picked up my fabulous 981 from Durham and drove 2.5 hrs home on the A68-great road 👍

‘Only’  had to stop once to put air in my OSR tyre which has a (fast) slow puncture. 😂👎😳

Swapped out the Porsche air compressor for an AirMan ResQ compressor which I really like.

Looks like I might be using it regularly as it’s too soon for a garage trip -less than 24 hrs into ownership. 🙏

image0.jpeg