What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

8 hours ago, moonshine said:

Got round to cleaning up and painting the disk rotor bells with silver hammerite smooth. Looks so much tidier!

From

53618939175_18ef597262_b.jpg 53618700513_59f264cd5f_b.jpg

To

53618700528_db4ba853ee_b.jpg 53618939215_8c8245ccb0_b.jpg

Very nice , but in normal parlance, we tend to call them brake discs…. Just saying 😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Very nice , but in normal parlance, we tend to call them brake discs…. Just saying 😂

I was distinguishing between the disk braking surface and the "other" part. I believe that is technically called the  🔔, but accept that term is often used on 2 piece disks where the mounting is a different material from the braking surface, e.g. The PCCB or MPerformance brakes on my XM40d, that have an alloy hub center part, whereas on the 981, the brakes are solid steel.

https://apracing.com/race-car/brake-discs/disc-mounting#

Edited by moonshine

On 3/23/2024 at 8:55 PM, andygo said:

I was under the impression that people were unhappy that the 4.0 718 suffers with the petrol equivalent of a DPF, thereby muting the sound.

You loose the crackle and pops but the intake sound on the 4.0 is just awesome😜

On 3/24/2024 at 8:42 AM, Raffe said:

It’s no where near the sound/ theatre of the 981 PSE and it shuts the valves between 2-4k rpm which further mutes it. It definitely sounds good but it’s a more grown up affair.

Car graphic valve controller allows you to keep the exhaust valves open. 

Yes you loose the crackle and pops, but the intake sound is incredible, especially at higher revs.

Agree it's a much more grown up affair👍

Added a bit of grillage 

IMG-2523-Original.jpg

For me the jury is out on how useful it is for my usage (low mileage, mainly dry and sunny) but hey it’s not going to cause any harm.

• Like 6

On 3/28/2024 at 5:56 PM, zagamuffin said:

More info on stud conversion 

I got sick of the extra effort in changing my wheels over, plus the cost of replacing corroded bolts ever couple of years.

In my usual style, I ignored the Porsche tax online items (up to £340 !!) and went down the generic route.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324475684748?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=U9-Au6FcRsu&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=5hPCRYDdSGy&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

M14x1.5 stud kit 68mm black with radius nuts.  £69.99

Delivery and service from LMD has been perfect. These were the only ones I could find that were radius nuts and I also didn't want titanium studs.

For install you'll need some blue locktite (242) and the correct allen key socket to torque them in - It is that simple.

I chose 68mm as I run 5mm spacers

53627258545_6d78ef8d73_b.jpg

I've had them fitted for 12 months now with zero issues.

They make tyres changes, maintenance etc so much easier. Not screwing in two alignment rods.  Tyre shops and service garages dont take chunks out of your calipers and rims when re-installing a wheel. 

Ohh and for those that need, they are alos significantly lighter than the OEM bolts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/31/2024 at 5:39 PM, ribroaster3 said:

Got my private plate on the car and went for a drive in the sunshine 🌞 Oh joy of joy 🤩 No ️ today 👍

IMG_0932

Pretty car. Will you update your avatar photo, which currently shows a grey 986?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Patt said:

M14x1.5 stud kit 68mm black with radius nuts.  £69.99

Delivery and service from LMD has been perfect. These were the only ones I could find that were radius nuts and I also didn't want titanium studs.

Smart design, I like the way the thread doesn't come all the way to the end so you don't bruise it trying to put the wheel on. 

Why not titanium studs? Dissimilar metal concerns?

Indeed , perfectly designed, sensible price, and no worries about metal reactions.

The fact they supply the rounded nuts was the clincher for me.  I've had longer aftermarket bolts that were not radius but more angular,  and they barely fitted the OEM rims - I took them off almost immediately as I felt were not safe for progressive driving.

This way you can add/remove spacers as you wish and not need to worry about the bolt lengths either.

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Ordered up a pair of performance Green cotton air filters  

Filters

£110 seems reasonable as standard are circa £40 plus each

I noticed a distinct change in induction noise when I fitted my K&N filters. They seem to have bedded in now, or maybe I've just got used to the noise!

See if these have the same effect on yours! 

16 minutes ago, Jonners said:

I noticed a distinct change in induction noise when I fitted my K&N filters. They seem to have bedded in now, or maybe I've just got used to the noise!

16 minutes ago, Jonners said:

I just was changing out as I could see no record off them being done and just as a small hike in from a standard  price I thought I would give these a go ,interesting to find out if there’s a bit more induction roar

17 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Filters

Do no harm

Certainly do no harm swopping these out!

I still hear mine every time I drive.

I wonder what the OPC price is for them, as someone told me they bought from there using the GT4 part number. 

43 minutes ago, Patt said:

The K&N cleaning kit , is by far the best and easiest to use too 😉

But not on OE which they look like , possibly released 2 HP 😂😂👍for changing out !

21 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Filters

Arrived today and from the look and feel, they appear to be very upmarket at that price point if any peeps are thinking about changing, definitely give them a look

Don't forget to vacuum out their housings before installing.

Simple job - 10mm socket, possi screwdriver and a large cable tie is all you need.

Got my Ultimate Wind Deflector in the post today.

Thanks, Made In Garforth, great service. 👍

Fits really well, no rattles etc. I should have bought one a year ago instead of vacillating over the cost. It's worth the money given how much work has gone in to make a perfect fit and finish.

I'm planning to use a Viofo VS1 as a rear camera, stuck to the inside of the wind deflector (with a clear static sheet under the mount to protect the deflector surface) to capture the constant tailgaters, who seem to plague the Boxster, if one runs into the back of me someday.

It might also work as a cruisin' camera for cabin/road view, if I can get the mount  base angle right so that it'll flip over.