What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

Picked her up after the annual oil change, MOT and four wheel alignment 😎👍 Went for the Spyder set up as I run the x73 suspension which of course is standard with the Spyder. Must admit on the short dry home she feel tight as a drum. Before setting was just Boxster with x73 
Loving my new GT4 front bumper and glad I went Aurum Gold. I love the look. But I know it wouldn’t be everyone’s bag 😎👍

IMG-5887.jpg

IMG-5886.jpg

IMG-5888.jpg

IMG-5889.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Topbox said:

I like those that’s for sure. Might buy/exchange the headlights for the Rennlens GTS style blacked out ones 😎👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

I like those that’s for sure. Might buy/exchange the headlights for the Rennlens GTS style blacked out ones 😎👍

I think it looks great 👍 

The light swap is the next thing on my list 😎

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 7:23 PM, Ringmaster999 said:

Passed its MOT and had an annual oil change. Hopefully four wheel alignment tomorrow and she’s ready for the summer 😎👍

Might have to blacken out behind the central air intake and maybe similar for the vent below the bonnet. But I could be just going OTT with this. Time will tell 😂👍

IMG-5874.jpg

thats looking the nuts,   making me want to spend my money and theres me going to sell mine this summer and get a X5 M sport lol

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Picked her up after the annual oil change, MOT and four wheel alignment 😎👍 Went for the Spyder set up as I run the x73 suspension which of course is standard with the Spyder. Must admit on the short dry home she feel tight as a drum. Before setting was just Boxster with x73 
Loving my new GT4 front bumper and glad I went Aurum Gold. I love the look. But I know it wouldn’t be everyone’s bag 😎👍

IMG-5887.jpg

IMG-5886.jpg

IMG-5888.jpg

IMG-5889.jpg

Looks amazing, come together perfectly 👌

• Thanks 1

Gave it a drink of Mobil and a new Filter, checked service records last done at 96.5 k but that was 2022 now at 99.8 K so was due in my book, in how I like to change annually regardless of mileage 

• Like 1

Had the PSE replaced.  One side actuator snapped ages ago, and there other side seized as they all do eventually, and I'd been thinking of going Carnewal or something but was always keen on keeping things OEM.  Had kept my eye on Design 911 as a potential supplier of a PSE as all OPC's seem to be in a no stock situation, and/or allocating available to warranty replacements (mine isn't under warranty).  After speaking to Design911, they said that there could be an update in March, so I kept an eye on this for stock levels. https://www.design911.com/p/sports-exhaust-system-pse-porsche-981-boxster---981c-cayman-cars-with-sports-tail-pipes/

One evening last week it said "in stock" so I pulled the trigger, and it arrived promptly, and I arranged local indy to fit it yesterday.  So my lovely BGTS is back to full musical awesomeness, with the button doing the necessary thang.  

Pse

PSE in a box

Replacement PSE Replacement PSE

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Withy said:

Had the PSE replaced.  One side actuator snapped ages ago, and there other side seized as they all do eventually, and I'd been thinking of going Carnewal or something but was always keen on keeping things OEM.  Had kept my eye on Design 911 as a potential supplier of a PSE as all OPC's seem to be in a no stock situation, and/or allocating available to warranty replacements (mine isn't under warranty).  After speaking to Design911, they said that there could be an update in March, so I kept an eye on this for stock levels. https://www.design911.com/p/sports-exhaust-system-pse-porsche-981-boxster---981c-cayman-cars-with-sports-tail-pipes/

One evening last week it said "in stock" so I pulled the trigger, and it arrived promptly, and I arranged local indy to fit it yesterday.  So my lovely BGTS is back to full musical awesomeness, with the button doing the necessary thang.  

Pse

PSE in a box

Glad you finally got it sorted!

I love my PSE and never leave home without it 😂 and it will sound even better with a few miles on it 😎👌

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Withy said:

Pse

PSE in a box

I had my left hand side PSE unit replaced on Monday by Porsche Silverstone under warranty. They kindly lent me a 3,000 mile old CGTS 4.0 for a couple of days. I thought most people said the sound was not as good as a 981, but tbh they are talking nonsense. It sounded great in fact. It also went like stink!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, andygo said:

I had my left hand side PSE unit replaced on Monday by Porsche Silverstone under warranty. They kindly lent me a 3,000 mile old CGTS 4.0 for a couple of days. I thought most people said the sound was not as good as a 981, but tbh they are talking nonsense. It sounded great in fact. It also went like stink!

That would be as the 4.0 is a flat6 the same as the 981. It's the 2.0 and 2.5 718s that have the flat4 that some don't like the sound of.

2 minutes ago, CMA said:

That would be as the 4.0 is a flat6 the same as the 981. It's the 2.0 and 2.5 718s that have the flat4 that some don't like the sound of.

I was under the impression that people were unhappy that the 4.0 718 suffers with the petrol equivalent of a DPF, thereby muting the sound.

Edited by andygo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Withy said:

Pse

PSE in a box

👍👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, andygo said:

I was under the impression that people were unhappy that the 4.0 718 suffers with the petrol equivalent of a DPF, thereby muting the sound.

It’s no where near the sound/ theatre of the 981 PSE and it shuts the valves between 2-4k rpm which further mutes it. It definitely sounds good but it’s a more grown up affair.

Sprayed my PSE actuators with high temperature copper grease as they looked a bit dry ( only had the car for 4 days) and I was fairly certain one side was sticking a bit.

NS was moving nicely  but the OS piston was a bit reluctant to be pushed in so I tried a bit more to free it off and it just snapped!! 😂😜

1 step forward and 2 steps back…………

IMG_0886

• Sad 2

When mine snapped I just got it welded up.

relatively simple to do, just gently remove the wire retaining clip that holds the ball socket to the actuator insert then just weld the two offending bits, then re attach to the socket on the actuator rod.  You can see the little wire retaining clip in piccy 2, in between the collar and ball socket. bit fiddly to tease out but easy once you have done one.

Make sure the internal exhaust flap can move freely befor welding though! I removed the vacuum unit and cable tied it out of the way so the garage could weld the two halves of the tab easier.

Mine lasted from June 2023 and was still fine when the exhaust was swapped under warranty last monday, so no need to bin the exhaust.

oJrgejC.jpg

Zmq5IxA.jpg

Edited by andygo

5 minutes ago, andygo said:

When mine snapped I just got it welded up.

relatively simple to do, just gently remove the wire retaining clip that holds the ball socket to the actuator insert then just weld the two offending bits, then re attach to the socket on the actuator rod.  You can see the little wire retaining clip in piccy 2, in between the collar and ball socket. bit fiddly to tease out but easy once you have done one.

Make sure the internal exhaust flap can move freely befor welding though! I removed the vacuum unit and cable tied it out of the way so the garage could weld the two halves of the tab easier.

Mine lasted from June 2023 and was still fine when the exhaust was swapped under warranty last monday, so no need to bin the exhaust.

oJrgejC.jpg

Zmq5IxA.jpg

nice work 👍
Does make you wonder why some bright designer at Porsche HQ hasn’t improved on this design over the years-could have saved the company a ton of money not having to replace broken actuators with new exhausts. 🤔

Edited by ribroaster3

I suspect if the exhaust flaps seize a bit, people tap the actuators to get them moving and weaken them, eventually resulting in a failure. Doubt the vacuum has enough grunt to snap the tab,

swapped out my wheels back to the summers.

Got to say having installed studs has made a huge improvement on this chore.  Only took me 1/2 hour and that includes getting everything out and back.

Today I'll be getting new PS4S rears fitted after work and taking advantage of the cash back from Michelin 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Patt said:

swapped out my wheels back to the summers.

Got to say having installed studs has made a huge improvement on this chore.  Only took me 1/2 hour and that includes getting everything out and back.

Today I'll be getting new PS4S rears fitted after work and taking advantage of the cash back from Michelin 

More info on stud conversion 

Not today but in the morning , track rod ends , booked in for a alignment on the 12 th , as I have gone right through the suspension on this , just thought as I have replaced an awful lot would be mad just not to swop out the end’s before getting the alignment done as there is no indication they have ever been replaced and approaching 100 k … preventative ott ? Will know more in the morning 😂

12 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Not today but in the morning , track rod ends , booked in for a alignment on the 12 th , as I have gone right through the suspension on this , just thought as I have replaced an awful lot would be mad just not to swop out the end’s before getting the alignment done as there is no indication they have ever been replaced and approaching 100 k … preventative ott ? Will know more in the morning 😂

Well that was no bad thing, sloppy but no play, so definitely worth doing at £20 odd quid each

• Like 1