What have you done to your 981 today?

T24RES

15 hours ago, spook said:

Interested in this. Which replacement SSD did you use and what size? Did you just clone it from original HDD?

Just got crucial 120GB drive and did full a clone (using clonezilla). Yes you do lose out on ~20GB but saves faffing around getting partition ids correct if you resize 

50 minutes ago, Driyage said:

Just got crucial 120GB drive and did full a clone (using clonezilla). Yes you do lose out on ~20GB but saves faffing around getting partition ids correct if you resize 

Thanks for that. Have you noticed any improvement in response speed since the upgrade, particularly on navigation?

2 hours ago, spook said:

Thanks for that. Have you noticed any improvement in response speed since the upgrade, particularly on navigation?

I hardy use the navigation, especially since getting CarPlay fitted; but I’ve noticed that the boot up time much quicker

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 3:03 PM, zagamuffin said:

After 14 only I believe , my 12 ain’t got it 

It's on my 2013 model.  I didn't know it had it until fiddling around with a USB stick with some mp3's and saw that I could copy it to the "jukebox".  Not a big music listener in my weekend toys, the last car I had with a radio was in 2003 so this is a bit of a step up 😜

Not so much of what I've done today but over the past week I've done the PDK reset "witchcraft" procedure which surprisingly seems to have actually made a difference to the smoothness.  Maybe just in my head though...

Also tried out snow-foam for the first time again for a number of years (making sure it wasn't anywhere near the roof).  Previously tried with ValetPro and was unimpressed.  This time round I've got Autoglym Polar and again just as unimpressive.

I must be doing it wrong as regardless of how thick I apply it, or how long I leave it on there, it literally does nothing to the dirt underneath.  Still, it looked nice and Christmassy for 15-20 mins...

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2020 at 3:03 PM, zagamuffin said:

After 14 only I believe , my 12 ain’t got it 

12 hours ago, lofi said:

Didn’t know that. So on my 12 what are the maps and stuff stored on?

my 63 plate (Sep 2013 reg) has a HDD, think its 40gb but I've never used it to store music

assume the maps etc are also stored on it though by default

12 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

my 63 plate (Sep 2013 reg) has a HDD, think its 40gb but I've never used it to store music

assume the maps etc are also stored on it though by default

So where are the maps stored on 2013 cars?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 6:04 PM, moospeed said:

Not so much of what I've done today but over the past week I've done the PDK reset "witchcraft" procedure which surprisingly seems to have actually made a difference to the smoothness.  Maybe just in my head though...

Also tried out snow-foam for the first time again for a number of years (making sure it wasn't anywhere near the roof).  Previously tried with ValetPro and was unimpressed.  This time round I've got Autoglym Polar and again just as unimpressive.

I must be doing it wrong as regardless of how thick I apply it, or how long I leave it on there, it literally does nothing to the dirt underneath.  Still, it looked nice and Christmassy for 15-20 mins...

What is the PDK reset?  had noticed a very occasional clunk which may be helped by this

19 minutes ago, Withy said:

What is the PDK reset?  had noticed a very occasional clunk which may be helped by this

I stopped being so lazy and looked it up.  For others ref it's this - I will do this later today

1. Turn on the engine, turn off A/C (and any other consumer like PCM, etc.) and let the engine run for 3 minutes.

2. Turn on A/C and wait another 3 minutes.

3. Turn off engine, remove the key, close the car and wait one minute.

4. Restart car and PDK is now reset to factory default.

32 minutes ago, Withy said:

I stopped being so lazy and looked it up.  For others ref it's this - I will do this later today

1. Turn on the engine, turn off A/C (and any other consumer like PCM, etc.) and let the engine run for 3 minutes.

I did it to mine as I had a slight jerkiness/clunk, particularly from 2nd to 1st.

It definitely smoothed things out so well worth a try!

5 hours ago, Withy said:

That's it yeah. Sounds like an April fools wind up but does actually appear to do something.

Don't know why they didn't just have it as an option on the dash.

10 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Smoothed mine out too, when I was selecting reverse when cold and coming out of the garage i could feel it but after doing this it's nice and smooth again.

Sounds like it must adjust the clutch bite point

Mine's under a layer of snow at the moment, but it did have a good run out in-between Christmas and New Year - had a small (distanced) get together for a sedate Sunday drive along some local roads with some other Boxsters and 911s (including a GT2RS and GT3).

When I get 6 minutes, I'll be giving that reset sequence a go.

• 4 weeks later...