The flat 6. Driving tips for a newbie

Cheddar Bob

In general driving I think its about the torque you get from a six cylinder large capacity engine. Flowing B-roads using mid range is one of the best ways to get the best, to go 'fast' get on a track.

My daily is probably faster in most given situations, certainly takes less concentration to get it right which is why I like my Boxster as its a more involved drive, manual box, rear drive no ESC, XDS, EBA etc etc.

You need to get up into the revs though , its good for it don't you know 😁

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

The problem is you haven't said what you are used to.  1.1 Fiesta? Honda S2000?  3.0 twin turbo diesel? Wallowy 4x4? Ford RS Asbo?

Good point. 

I've had multiple rally cars, mostly Suzuki swift gti's. A 400hp/tonne tiger super cat kit car, multiple motorbikes and plenty of track experience on both 4 and 2 wheels. The mini coupe turbo was pretty fun. All of the cars I've owned have been fwd with the only rwd was the kit car. 

When I had my business I bought a fn2 type r brand new and took it round pembrey with 100miles on the clock. Who knows if it survived now...

My other daily drive is a Leon fr estate. 

Oh and a Jag V12 land rover for comp safari...that was very fun 😁

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Some good pointers and I'm no stranger to using a car or bike in an enthusaistic manner. 

I found the boxster does not encourage me to drive with the usual enthusaistic approach and I don't know how or why. 

It's excellent with the top down, and has lots of smile factor. 

I managed to take a different route home today from work, and drove with me firmness. The roundabout handling is excellent 😁 but every time I took it through the rev range I felt unkind, probably because of the longer gearing. 

I certainly lack the sensation of speed that I thought I'd have got with the top down 

Overall it's a very good car. I've just been curious to see how other enthusiasts drive theirs and read about your experiences. 

If you are nearly all front wheel drive, you should know from the kit car, but do watch the Boxster through the bends.  Everybody here bangs on about IMS, but most cars on here have died due to bends, usually wet. I'm told the mid-engine also takes people by surprise; awesome handling, but when it goes it goes. (This is also dependent on tyres, gradual or not).

I went on a track with a hired Elise (couldn't use my Boxster) to simulate it and try to learn it.  I have also paid for the Porsche course at Silverstone with an instructor.  Only 90 minutes for nearly 300 quid but what fun. Massively recommend that.

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

If you are nearly all front wheel drive, you should know from the kit car, but do watch the Boxster through the bends.  Everybody here bangs on about IMS, but most cars on here have died due to bends, usually wet. I'm told the mid-engine also takes people by surprise; awesome handling, but when it goes it goes. (This is also dependent on tyres, gradual or not).

I went on a track with a hired Elise (couldn't use my Boxster) to simulate it and try to learn it.  I have also paid for the Porsche course at Silverstone with an instructor.  Only 90 minutes for nearly 300 quid but what fun. Massively recommend that.

The kit car was just dangerous. Constant fear of too much throttle and a very uncontrollable slide. I nearly binned it many many times by accident and lack off skill

The 295 wide tyres i have on the back instead confidence. False I assume... 

The Boxster really thrives on old style driving, slow before the bend get in the right gear ,constant throttle to balance and accelerate away.

For me it's like I'm back in a 24 valve Senator on a Roadcraft based driving course (1992 ish) putting the instructor in fear for their life on every overtake.

Mind I think I scared my surveillance course instructors more, they don't let them drive that way anymore can't think why 🤪

13 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Take it on track is the best way to drive it. I think that it is only on track where you can really appreciate the way a 986 drives. The power delivery makes sense, the gearing makes sense, the brakes make sense etc etc. 

Or …… move up north

11 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

....but every time I took it through the rev range I felt unkind, probably because of the longer gearing.

Have read and I believe understood the points you raise and their context. 

That said it feels like the run “through the rev range” starts from something like 2/2.5k rpm - if so try a floor limit of say 3.5/4K - that’ll give an engine speed operating window of 3700-3200rpm assuming a 7200rpm ECU limiter.

That upper part of the rev range is where the fun is and the gearing makes sense. 

Of my 3 the Boxster S is my favourite drive for sure - how I answer that question is when I wake up and go to my key hook if there's any chance or reason to reach for the Porsche key that's what I'll do. Like others have said the drive is completely involed , manual , great handling and you can just 'feel' the car completely I love it's power delivery it's smooth and has a brilliant sound purring up behind you, it may not 'feel' like the fastest car but in reality it is a quick car it's 0-60 in 5.5 second on the S and in the right gearing through B roads where it kept in the power band other car deemed more powerful will really struggle to keep a hold of it... the handling for me is sublime particularly on a 20 year old car.

My other two cars are a Busso V6 Alfa 166 which is a much slower car 0-60 around 8.5 seconds and it feels a slower car , however this is a cruiser and it is for a relaxed drive - however it has the best sounding engine of my 3 it really roars, handles ok for it's size better than some might think I have had it on the track a couple of times and like the Porsche has a very linear power delivery - 20 years on lovely car to cruise in.

My third car is an Alfa 159 1750 TBI which is remapped to 240 BHP and does 0-60 in around 7 seconds so on paper it is slower than the Porsche but it 'feels' a faster car on a straight because it has a load of low down torque , short gearing and it kicks you back into your seat when you put the foot down - it's a manual and it's an engaging drive as well , lowered and stiffer suspension on the TI Model and handles very well, I really like the car but pit it against the Boxster in the turns and it just can't compete the Boxster is too stiff , too precise and in reality despite feeling less in power it's not it's faster and if the driver know's this and keeps her in the right gear despite the Alfa's torque she'll disappear quite quickly. 

Just now, Menoporsche said:

Steady, he’s not that desperate. 

Born in Hackney me,  I live in Bolton (now I don't recommend that but my business is there), got to say being up here has its plus points and the roads are definitely one of them. Tight northern buggers are a bit of a drawback, Luke, Baggs, Nobbie (not Mark he must have southern parents), can't include Ash which for those who know him is immediately obvious. 

5 minutes ago, Irishcrx said:

Of my 3 the Boxster S is my favourite drive for sure - how I answer that question is when I wake up and go to my key hook if there's any chance or reason to reach for the Porsche key that's what I'll do. Like others have said the drive is completely involed , manual , great handling and you can just 'feel' the car completely I love it's power delivery it's smooth and has a brilliant sound purring up behind you, it may not 'feel' like the fastest car but in reality it is a quick car it's 0-60 in 5.5 second on the S and in the right gearing through B roads where it kept in the power band other car deemed more powerful will really struggle to keep a hold of it... the handling for me is sublime particularly on a 20 year old car.

My other two cars are a Busso V6 Alfa 166 which is a much slower car 0-60 around 8.5 seconds and it feels a slower car , however this is a cruiser and it is for a relaxed drive - however it has the best sounding engine of my 3 it really roars, handles ok for it's size better than some might think I have had it on the track a couple of times and like the Porsche has a very linear power delivery - 20 years on lovely car to cruise in.

My third car is an Alfa 159 1750 TBI which is remapped to 240 BHP and does 0-60 in around 7 seconds so on paper it is slower than the Porsche but it 'feels' a faster car on a straight because it has a load of low down torque , short gearing and it kicks you back into your seat when you put the foot down - it's a manual and it's an engaging drive as well , lowered and stiffer suspension on the TI Model and handles very well, I really like the car but pit it against the Boxster in the turns and it just can't compete the Boxster is too stiff , too precise and in reality despite feeling less in power it's not it's faster and if the driver know's this and keeps her in the right gear despite the Alfa's torque she'll disappear quite quickly. 

You got deep pockets if you run that fleet in Ireland.😲

For me it's all about the right gear and revs, cos it's such long geared loads of times if you want to gun it it's better to drop two gears than one and then you start higher up the rev range, it can kill the speed if you start lower down the rev range. I have the tiptronic and always drive it in manual, I have added flappy paddles to the steering wheel and it makes it a much more involved drive, love those downchanges and accelerating quickly, they work so well.

18 minutes ago, Terryg said:

You got deep pockets if you run that fleet in Ireland.😲

LOL it's not cheap , fine line between deep pockets and foolish pockets...But I love my engines and our time with them is limited these days..

40 minutes ago, Irishcrx said:

OP has a 2.7 with 5 speed.  The 6 speed in the S has closer ratios and with a different final drive ratio making keeping to a tighter rev range with out having to go to the higher end of the rev range so often.  From what others have written generally on many threads, other than a small power hike this to me to be the biggest single differentiator between the Boxster and the Boxster S and validate my decision to go down the S route rather than a 2.7.

3 hours ago, Terryg said:

Tight northern buggers are a bit of a drawback, Luke, Baggs, Nobbie (not Mark he must have southern parents), can't include Ash which for those who know him is immediately obvious. 

:bana: :bana: :bana: 

Thanks all for your efforts and comments. 

I've been able to take a different route to work and enthusiastically use the car. 

Part of the issue i think is that I'm going faster than the car feels, so the loss of sensation of speed until you get into 4th of probably contributing to the feeling. 

Third gear gets you as you know the wrong side of 100. I probably need to get used to using 3rd and 2nd as gears of choice when making progress. 

More likely it's me the driver and the way I'm driving it that. There have been times when it's felt like a sports car, but also others where I've expected more of a pick up. 

5 years of diving a torquey turbo diesel had probably done that

The problem with the Boxster is that it's too good, to have any fun normally means you are the wrong side of the speed limit most of the time.  This is especially true of the 981/718 as they corner so flat, you never feel near the limit.  Yeah, 2nd & 3rd gear is where the fun is - on the right road of course.

I've analysed my driving recently and discovered I speed up in the twisty bits and slow down for the straights.  Does anyone else do this?  I guess any moron can go fast in a straight line or is it mobile speed cameras are sited on straights?

23 hours ago, Irishcrx said:

LOL it's not cheap , fine line between deep pockets and foolish pockets...But I love my engines and our time with them is limited these days..

My family home is Galway which is where I am now,  I have nightmares about how I will return with the Boxster and not end up in penury.

6 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

The problem with the Boxster is that it's too good, to have any fun normally means you are the wrong side of the speed limit most of the time.  This is especially true of the 981/718 as they corner so flat, you never feel near the limit.  Yeah, 2nd & 3rd gear is where the fun is - on the right road of course.

I've analysed my driving recently and discovered I speed up in the twisty bits and slow down for the straights.  Does anyone else do this?  I guess any moron can go fast in a straight line or is it mobile speed cameras are sited on straights?

I've been doing that on bikes for years. 😁

I've always been cautious about straight line speed, although I find I've found Ive visited three figures too often for my own liking....

9 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Thanks all for your efforts and comments. 

I've been able to take a different route to work and enthusiastically use the car. 

Part of the issue i think is that I'm going faster than the car feels, so the loss of sensation of speed until you get into 4th of probably contributing to the feeling. 

Third gear gets you as you know the wrong side of 100. I probably need to get used to using 3rd and 2nd as gears of choice when making progress. 

More likely it's me the driver and the way I'm driving it that. There have been times when it's felt like a sports car, but also others where I've expected more of a pick up. 

5 years of diving a torquey turbo diesel had probably done that

I was just about to suggest you may be going faster than you think....

It's not a brutal car like some of the vehicles you mentioned, it's all about flow. But it's a proper weapon in the right hands and on the road will keep up with just about anything that's not piloted by a lunatic.

Personally I think my 2.7 is perfect for all round enjoyment on the road. It will do brisk but effortless and sound far better in the process than most faster cars. You can enjoy a good part of the performance without being totally antisocial. And when you do grab it by the balls you can cover some serious ground whilst having the pleasure of knowing you aren't just a throttle attendent. 🙂

32 minutes ago, zadocbrown said:

I was just about to suggest you may be going faster than you think....

It's not a brutal car like some of the vehicles you mentioned, it's all about flow. But it's a proper weapon in the right hands and on the road will keep up with just about anything that's not piloted by a lunatic.

Personally I think my 2.7 is perfect for all round enjoyment on the road. It will do brisk but effortless and sound far better in the process than most faster cars. You can enjoy a good part of the performance without being totally antisocial. And when you do grab it by the balls you can cover some serious ground whilst having the pleasure of knowing you aren't just a throttle attendent. 🙂

It's incredible how the sensation of speed works. I imagine if I went well into three figures I'd get that feeling.... Albeit I don't wish to try. 

I appreciate all the comments 👍

In answer to the OP,

find a quiet B road that you know. A twisty one. Select second gear and see how much ground you can cover between 4000rpm and the red line before you realise how the question answers itself. 

The 986 is born to respect your licence and your sense of fun at the same time. You can make 2nd and third gear your limit for 10-20-100 miles and never be bored or wanting on the right roads. The Peak district and Yorkshire Dales are great natural habitat for a 986. As is the Brecons in Wales. 

4 hours ago, Mr96er said:

In answer to the OP,

find a quiet B road that you know. A twisty one. Select second gear and see how much ground you can cover between 4000rpm and the red line before to realise how the question answers itself. 

The 986 is born to respect your licence and your sense of fun at the same time. You can make 2nd and third gear your limit for 10-20-100 miles and never be bores or wanting on the right roads. The Oeak district and Yorkshire Dales are great natural habitat for a 986. As is the Brecons in Wales. 

I'll be sure to report back once I'm able to get to wales... Thanks for the reply

I didn't need to go to Wales, took an journey which was a bit longer on my usual 30 mile n commute...

Very good feel. I see what you mean about second and third gear usability. High rev cornering gave feel and impression of control, even a little slip from the rear... 

Feel odd for doubting the car now

Just now, Cheddar Bob said:

....Feel odd for doubting the car now....

No need to feel that way about it. This way of driving is somewhat alien now so why expect to “just know” - main thing is you’ve found it and can get on with enjoying your Boxster experience. 

Archived