Buying advice for 986 that has been stored

suffolkporker

Hi All, 

First post so be gentle 🙂....

I have the chance to buy a mint 986 2.5 tip with only 20k on the clock. Its been sat in a garage for the last 5 years. Up to that point full OPC history with no issues. Any advice on potential costs to get it back where it belongs? 

I'm guessing...

New Batt

Possible perished rubbers / seals

Full service etc

Full valet

Then run it and see what breaks 😬 

Any recommendations for independent garages for these in Suffolk / Essex would be good too, Paul Stephens is nearby but no idea if they are good or not?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Cheers

Jim

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have to buy that one?

Boxsters undriven can develop various problems, and if you are not good with spanners might make for an unpleasant ownership experience. 

Despite only doing 20k, that is a 20 year old car and I would expect most of the rubber components to be past their best. If you want it to drive as a Boxster should you are going to have to spend a lot of money. New set of tyres for starters, then look at suspension components with rubber bushes such as lower arms. Brake pipes are mostly hidden under covers, but good chance these are badly corroded. Discs also may need replacing and callipers may require refurb if sat unused for that long.  Possible leaks in AC as no lubricant circulating for 5 years. 

I hope you are not paying a premium for this car as it could turn into a money pit. Personally I would look at one that has been in regular use and well maintained throughout. Mines got 150k on the clock and runs beautifully.

I don't agree that a stored car is necessarily a bad buy, it depends completely on how its been put away.  If it was left out in the rain, forget it, if it was driven into a damp garage and left stood still for 5 years then probably not worth it unless you're going to get it for a song and are prepared for any works.

If however, the owner planned to put it away and carried out certain tasks before storing in a dark, dry, warm environment then a different matter. A 986 with similar low mileage just sold at auction for nearly 20K!

Whereabouts in Suffolk are you?  I would be happy to show you my 22 year old 986 with 80k on the clock that is stored most of the year. I can also point out the foibles and areas to look out for. 

Hi

Sounds great. Price in an IMS bearing check after you have bought it. Before starting I would check the oil and coolant levels, turn the engine over without firing till I had oil pressure, then start.

Then it will need a good service and tyres at a minimum.

Best of luck

Berni

2 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

Sounds great. Price in an IMS bearing check after you have bought it. Before starting I would check the oil and coolant levels, turn the engine over without firing till I had oil pressure, then start.

Then it will need a good service and tyres at a minimum.

Best of luck

Berni

12 hours labour to remove/reinstall a tip box to check the IMS😳. The 2.5 uses the dual row bearing, so unlikely to be an issue.

Good point about how the car was stored @topradio, this will make a big difference to what state it is in now.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Do you have to buy that one?

Boxsters undriven can develop various problems, and if you are not good with spanners might make for an unpleasant ownership experience. 

No it was a chance conversation the lead us down this path. I can build a house but no good with spanners unfortunately!

1 hour ago, Boxob said:

Welcome. Probably tyres, disks, pads, brake fluid, coolant.  Does it have a/c? If so potentially condensers.

Thanks, yep I forgot the tires, definitely going to need 4 new ones. Good point about the A/c.

56 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Despite only doing 20k, that is a 20 year old car and I would expect most of the rubber components to be past their best. If you want it to drive as a Boxster should you are going to have to spend a lot of money. New set of tyres for starters, then look at suspension components with rubber bushes such as lower arms. Brake pipes are mostly hidden under covers, but good chance these are badly corroded. Discs also may need replacing and callipers may require refurb if sat unused for that long.  Possible leaks in AC as no lubricant circulating for 5 years. 

I hope you are not paying a premium for this car as it could turn into a money pit. Personally I would look at one that has been in regular use and well maintained throughout. Mines got 150k on the clock and runs beautifully.

I'm not sure about premium, he's asking 6k and I'm thinking 4k...

35 minutes ago, topradio said:

I don't agree that a stored car is necessarily a bad buy, it depends completely on how its been put away.  If it was left out in the rain, forget it, if it was driven into a damp garage and left stood still for 5 years then probably not worth it unless you're going to get it for a song and are prepared for any works.

If however, the owner planned to put it away and carried out certain tasks before storing in a dark, dry, warm environment then a different matter. A 986 with similar low mileage just sold at auction for nearly 20K!

Whereabouts in Suffolk are you?  I would be happy to show you my 22 year old 986 with 80k on the clock that is stored most of the year. I can also point out the foibles and areas to look out for. 

We are in Sudbury, thanks for the offer! I might just take you up on that...Who do you use for your maintenance?  Thinking about it there is PIE performance nearby too.

Its been in a dry warm garage. Doubt there were any pre storage routines carried out. 

I'd second the assumption on how it's been stored would be a major factor in things, a 2.5 is dual row IMS so wouldn't bother throwing money at that - and use those funds for the things that will undoubtedly need doing, all fluids, tyres, brakes (and lines maybe), any perished rubber suspension components, AC lines and condensers possibly.

Could be a cracking buy at £5k (midpoint between his asking and your offer) if you can get it fully freshened for the road for an additional £1k-£2k.

A 20k mile 2.5 is a rare thing, tiptronic even rarer, check the price of this: https://www.williamscrawford.co.uk/listings/clone/

27 minutes ago, suffolkporker said:

No it was a chance conversation the lead us down this path. I can build a house but no good with spanners unfortunately!

Thanks, yep I forgot the tires, definitely going to need 4 new ones. Good point about the A/c.

I'm not sure about premium, he's asking 6k and I'm thinking 4k...

We are in Sudbury, thanks for the offer! I might just take you up on that...Who do you use for your maintenance?  Thinking about it there is PIE performance nearby too.

Its been in a dry warm garage. Doubt there were any pre storage routines carried out. 

I'm near Bury so not far away. 

I maintain the car myself now, it's a fairly easy car to work on and no more difficult than most. 

I can recommend Autostrasse near Braintree. I haven't used them for a number of years and they closed down for a while but I understand that they are now under new ownership.  They used to be knowledgeable and their pricing was sensible. 

12 minutes ago, NicGun said:

I'd second the assumption on how it's been stored would be a major factor in things, a 2.5 is dual row IMS so wouldn't bother throwing money at that - and use those funds for the things that will undoubtedly need doing, all fluids, tyres, brakes (and lines maybe), any perished rubber suspension components, AC lines and condensers possibly.

Could be a cracking buy at £5k (midpoint between his asking and your offer) if you can get it fully freshened for the road for an additional £1k-£2k.

A 20k mile 2.5 is a rare thing, tiptronic even rarer, check the price of this: https://www.williamscrawford.co.uk/listings/clone/

That's an interesting link, the car is exactly the same as that, full blood red leather interior ( in better condition than the one in the link) 

I was thinking the same, 5k would give me scope to sort it and hopefully not lose money on it if I did sell, although my intention is for me and my dad to drive and enjoy it. He previously had a 986 s and loved it.

7 minutes ago, topradio said:

I'm near Bury so not far away. 

I maintain the car myself now, it's a fairly easy car to work on and no more difficult than most. 

I can recommend Autostrasse near Braintree. I haven't used them for a number of years and they closed down for a while but I understand that they are now under new ownership.  They used to be knowledgeable and their pricing was sensible. 

I have family just outside Bury, will drop you a PM as I'm over that way often. Thanks for the recommendation too, the car is currently in London so that might be a good option for getting it sorted.

29 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

For 4k I reckon that could be a pretty good buy. Change all fluids/tyres and you should be good to go. 

Agreed. £4-5k depending on condition. The history you mention suggests to me it’s likely More time warp condition Than beater. Reality is, it’s probably begging for you to turn the key and give it a good Italian tune up. 

1 hour ago, suffolkporker said:

That's an interesting link, the car is exactly the same as that, full blood red leather interior ( in better condition than the one in the link) 

I was thinking the same, 5k would give me scope to sort it and hopefully not lose money on it if I did sell, although my intention is for me and my dad to drive and enjoy it. He previously had a 986 s and loved it.

You are pretty safe at that sort of money as you can afford to get a fair bit of work done and be reasonably confident of getting your money back due to the low mileage.  Good news that it was stored warm and dry, should reduce potential problems with corrosion. Look forward to seeing how you get on with it😎

OK, so in storage for a decade. Still not the end of the world that it hasn't turned a wheel in that time but it's going to need some work but totally dependent on the condition before being put away and how it been stored.  New tyres are inevitable but it wouldn't unduly worry me, condition is everything.

3 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Agreed. £4-5k depending on condition. The history you mention suggests to me it’s likely More time warp condition Than beater. Reality is, it’s probably begging for you to turn the key and give it a good Italian tune up. 

I think time warp is a pretty accurate description, an Italian tune up sounds fun!

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

You are pretty safe at that sort of money as you can afford to get a fair bit of work done and be reasonably confident of getting your money back due to the low mileage.  Good news that it was stored warm and dry, should reduce potential problems with corrosion. Look forward to seeing how you get on with it😎

That’s what I’m hoping, I like that you assumed it’s getting a new home 😎

1 hour ago, Boxstercol said:

Get it bought & start an ownership thread! 👍

😀

1 minute ago, topradio said:

Could be a very nice 'barn' find. The price will have to be right though, I'd love to see it if you get it and before work starts.

Take loads of pictures.

You are welcome to come and see it if you want,  will put some pics up tomorrow, covered in dust mind.

At least £3k and more like £4k to sort most of the common problems that have been listed if you are not going to DIY, Still £2k to £3k if DIY.  Is it good enough to be a £7k car??  

IMS even ad a double row could be an issue if it has had a seal leak and acidic oil for 5 years of storage sitting there doing its thing, add another £1.5k.

Long and short it is a risk if you don't know what's wrong with it.  If you are looking for a car to restore and have the appropriate budget (currently wouldn't make financial sense but a good job on a low miles early car i.e. not using it much, will be one of the first to improve in value, but probably a 5 year period from now) but it you want a daily or even a frequent weekend car that you are going to add miles to, probably not the best buy and better left to a competent DIYer or a collector sadly.

Archived