2.5 - 2.7 - 3.2 speed difference

Cheddar Bob

So today I followed a 3.2s with a 2.5 behind me and I'm in the 2.7

I noticed no real world difference between any of us. In fact I didn't realise the chap behind was in a 2.5 I assumed he was in at least a 2.7

I'm sure the subtle differences in getting ones foot down earlier, different gearing that might bring the gaps closer on the road, but the performance figures are different but I'm just not seeing it. 

I can't find a video on YouTube with all 3 either...

Guys/girls with the S, what are your thoughts, are you mirror watching thinking why is that car so close? 

Same for the 2.5 crowd. Do you think wow, they aren't pulling away... 

From the 2.7 side, I keep thinking that the 3.2s can't be putting their foot down all the way....

On a side note, I would be interested in making a video with the three motors if a 2.5 and a 3.2 owner felt the same.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I drove a 2.5 manual last week back to back with my facelift 2.7 Tip and both I and the 2.5 owner thought the 2.7 car had noticeably more torque and general grunt.

Berni

There's 25-30bhp between each. You won't notice a big gap for a 2-3 second prod of the accelerator to the floor. 

15 minutes ago, edc said:

There's 25-30bhp between each. You won't notice a big gap for a 2-3 second prod of the accelerator to the floor. 

I didn't get to spend much time weighing up the 987s and the newer boxers. I was behind a Spyder for a bit but sadly the roads didn't allow for some acceleration monitoring. 

Really wanted to see how the 911 turbo left the boxsters for dead but that was too far ahead to get a good indication. 

Does anyone know if the brakes are the same on the three models? I know the s has them coloured red which adds huge braking forces 😁 but apart from drilled discs, are they the same size and calipers? 

Just now, Cheddar Bob said:

You really are an ar*e. It was a boxster meet. Idiot 

Please say that to my face if we meet :)

There's a German video of a 2.5 that does 0-60 on 6 seconds with a passenger. 

I've never felt that other cars pull away from my 2.5. I can always keep up with the fast cars going to 300bhp. Drivers and other variables obviously make a difference but we are talking real world here which is why the 2.5 makes a very rewarding car to drive. 

A tip 3.2 does 0-60 is in 6.5 or so seconds if that is anything to look at... 

2 minutes ago, usman10316 said:

There's a German video of a 2.5 that does 0-60 on 6 seconds with a passenger. 

I've never felt that other cars pull away from my 2.5. I can always keep up with the fast cars going to 300bhp. Drivers and other variables obviously make a difference but we are talking real world here which is why the 2.5 makes a very rewarding car to drive. 

A tip 3.2 does 0-60 is in 6.5 or so seconds if that is anything to look at... 

I imagine it does. I'm really surprised by how little difference there appeared to be. If anything apart from bragging rights it makes selecting a box even easier. You almost ignore the engine size and go from there. 

Anywhere where you can put the power down a 911 turbo is much faster. In the twisty stuff like in the Alps, especially more so downhill, there is very little in it. 

8 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I imagine it does. I'm really surprised by how little difference there appeared to be. If anything apart from bragging rights it makes selecting a box even easier. You almost ignore the engine size and go from there. 

I went for the 2.5 as my dad has a Cayman S so power wasn't on my mind, even against the S it didn't pull away until after reaching 90mph in Germany. 

However I do not regret it at all. In fact in terms of MPG I'm happier than I would have been with a bigger engine as I can drive it more without worrying much. 

1 minute ago, edc said:

Anywhere where you can put the power down a 911 turbo is much faster. In the twisty stuff like in the Alps, especially more so downhill, there is very little in it. 

911 turbo - there is no competition. 

I have a Boxster S, was followed and then overtaken by a 3.2S Anniversary yesterday, both cars seem evenly matched, the 8BHP difference not noticible!😀

In real world I suspect little difference,after all no Boxster is that fast in a straight line.

Now a year ago en route to Simply Porsche I had an Aston in my mirror, I didn't pull away, and when I moved over he disappeared in a blur of noise, that was properly quick.

I've run several Dyno days and you can have a good engine in a 2.7 punching more power than spec or with some mods and a down on power 3.2, seen some only showing 240+ bhp. The gap is then much smaller. 

6 minutes ago, edc said:

I've run several Dyno days and you can have a good engine in a 2.7 punching more power than spec or with some mods and a down on power 3.2, seen some only showing 240+ bhp. The gap is then much smaller. 

Too true - My old 3.2 engine which had low compression on one cylinder (FlatFunf?) was dyno’d at just over 200bhp. Am sure that without the mods it would have been significantly lower still. 

It was plenty quick enough but noticeably lacked torque 😔

The replacement motor popped an extra 125bhp into the drivetrain which was nice. 

The 2.5 and 2.7's feel the same 

The 3.2 is a different animal all together.

Anyone telling you differently must have something wrong with their 3.2 - they are far, far more powerful and torquey.

I drive all 3 (2.5, 2.7 and 3.2's) on a daily basis 

2 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

The 2.5 and 2.7's feel the same 

The 3.2 is a different animal all together.

Anyone telling you differently must have something wrong with their 3.2 - they are far, far more powerful and torquey.

I drive all 3 (2.5, 2.7 and 3.2's) on a daily basis 

Out of curiosity , as you drive them all, any difference in chassis handling and braking feel ? 

Thanks

3 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Out of curiosity , as you wash them all with three different types of Bilt Hamber snow foam, any difference in chassis handling and braking feel ? 

Thanks

CFA

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Out of curiosity , as you drive them all, any difference in chassis handling and braking feel ? 

Thanks

The 3.2's all feel much heavier and bogged down if that makes sense.

Don't get me wrong, they are great but a good 2.5 feels way, way more agile and spirited.

When it comes to brakes, it is car specific rather than model.

When deciding which one to go for, it all comes down to one thing:

What sort of roads / driving will they be used.

If you live in an area that has open roads that are not blighted by traffic, then the 3.2 is a good choice.

If on the other hand you live in a city and are doing a lot of stop / start driving in traffic then you do not want a 3.2.

In the 2.5 and 2.7, you can use the full rev range pretty safely; the 3.2 you can not; not if you have become attached to your driving licence.

Hope this helps 

3 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

The 3.2's all feel much heavier and bogged down if that makes sense.

Don't get me wrong, they are great but a good 2.5 feels way, way more agile and spirited.

When it comes to brakes, it is car specific rather than model.

When deciding which one to go for, it all comes down to one thing:

What sort of roads / driving will they be used.

If you live in an area that has open roads that are not blighted by traffic, then the 3.2 is a good choice.

If on the other hand you live in a city and are doing a lot of stop / start driving in traffic then you do not want a 3.2.

In the 2.5 and 2.7, you can use the full rev range pretty safely; the 3.2 you can not; not if you have become attached to your driving licence.

Hope this helps 

Thanks - I know someone in the market for one , clearly needs to go drive a few, always good to get feedback with someone who has been in the seat.

Archived