2.5 - 2.7 - 3.2 speed difference

Cheddar Bob

42 minutes ago, Lambo550 said:

Am I reading this correctly your saying there is very little difference downhill between a Boxster and 911 turbo 🤷🏼‍♂️

having owned a 996turbo with only 14k miles on the clock a manual car and just this weekend purchased a 986 Boxster S I can tell you your away with the fairy’s sorry if this offends you but I have first hand experience in both cars and the 911 turbo is worlds apart from a Boxster.

before you try defending yourself telling me how similar they are, I can tell you the similarities end at the interior.

I don't think that was the point of the comment. 

I think it was more aimed at the usable performance variance on a bumpy b road. 

You don't see many videos of boxsters spinning into trees or curbs, but plenty of super cars. I would call the 911 turbo a super car

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

My 993 feels faster and more surefooted than my 2.7 facelift 986. I prefer driving the 986 in town though because its lighter and more pointy. I would like to try a better suspension on the 986 though and see if it makes much of a difference. The turbo cars are "different gravy" as they say.

Berni

1 hour ago, Lambo550 said:

Am I reading this correctly your saying there is very little difference downhill between a Boxster and 911 turbo 🤷🏼‍♂️

having owned a 996turbo with only 14k miles on the clock a manual car and just this weekend purchased a 986 Boxster S I can tell you your away with the fairy’s sorry if this offends you but I have first hand experience in both cars and the 911 turbo is worlds apart from a Boxster.

before you try defending yourself telling me how similar they are, I can tell you the similarities end at the interior.

You've twisted what I have said. I've spent thousands of miles in front of and behind 2 X 996 turbo in the Alps and Pyrenees. On the faster roads where the acceleration counts and you can get to 100+ the turbo is much faster and will add many car lengths. But in the twisty stuff where your acceleration is maybe 2-3 second bursts, speeds are 30-70 and 2nd or 3rd gear and it's more about corner entry speed, carrying the speed and braking then yes a 996 turbo doesn't run away into the distance. 

12 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

My 993 feels faster and more surefooted than my 2.7 facelift 986. I prefer driving the 986 in town though because its lighter and more pointy. I would like to try a better suspension on the 986 though and see if it makes much of a difference. The turbo cars are "different gravy" as they say.

Berni

I've swapped cars on a euro hoon with a 964 and didn't find it any faster than my Boxster. Both are lightly modified. They feel different of course and the 964 seems to have more low end torque. At the time the 964 had grippier tyres so did feel a touch more planted as you say. 

If your Boxster is on standard suspension then something like M030 or Koni FSD brings some improvements at quite a low budget. 

3 minutes ago, edc said:

You've twisted what I have said. I've spent thousands of miles in front of and behind 2 X 996 turbo in the Alps and Pyrenees. On the faster roads where the acceleration counts and you can get to 100+ the turbo is much faster and will add many car lengths. But in the twisty stuff where your acceleration is maybe 2-3 second bursts, speeds are 30-70 and 2nd or 3rd gear and it's more about corner entry speed, carrying the speed and braking then yes a 996 turbo doesn't run away into the distance. 

Don't know how a 996 turbo delivers the power, but I suspect you can access more useable power sooner in a Boxster, even before the apex where as you'd need to give a turbo more respect when getting back on the throttle so it would be slower out of the corners initially hence the 986 having an advantage on tighter twisty road as opposed to more open 'point and squirt' type roads.

Let's be honest a 996 turbo can out the power down at least just as well as a Boxster. It's got more traction and tyre on the road. If you are driving it right then you won't have any issues with useable power as you would be at 3k + rpm all the time. 

2 hours ago, Lambo550 said:

not sure if this is aimed at me? But I never said there is no difference, I said the exact opposite and what you said - between a 996 turbo and Boxster - there is a WORLDS of difference! The turbo is in a league of its own, and anyone who thinks otherwise.......... well, I wont even entertain that. 

1 hour ago, Lambo550 said:

My bad, It would appear I have mis understood the post. 
I apologise for any rift caused.

Paaah ignore emmm all. You've got a Lamborghini which I suspect trumps Bosxter, 911, 993, 981, turbo nutter 996 etc etc .

Early Boxsters aren't very fast regardless of what engine size. Some people on here can't seem to accept it. Still tol fun though which is what counts.

3 hours ago, Lambo550 said:

My bad, It would appear I have mis understood the post. 
I apologise for any rift caused.

Could be worse you could have mentioned you are a Landlord :)

Throw in the following comments randomly and you will be fine;

911's are OK if you like that sort of thing. 

I have an itch that needs scratched. 

Pistonheads is full of ar*e holes. 

While making progress I had a moment, must have been diesel on the road. 

Biggest performance enhancement is some driver training as Chris Harris could have you in a Micra. 

N rated tyres are mandatory. 

And lastly 'Black lives matter' 

You're welcome :)

There's no rift. People have different experiences and views. Different roads, different drivers etc. No problem with that. The only fact is the hardware. 

2 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Early Boxsters aren't very fast regardless of what engine size. Some people on here can't seem to accept it. Still tol fun though which is what counts.

Try telling that to the people on the 986 Facebook group. Every week or so some muppet will ask, "Which engine is better, 2.5 or 3.2?"This then spirals into a d**k swinging contest where various people claim that the 3.2 is some kind of supercar killer, the 2.5 is only for children and hairdressers, their mates/aunties/second cousins 911 GT3 can't keep up with their Boxster with a K&N filter yada yada yada. I have tried to block/leave the group but it keeps sending me notifications.

58 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Try telling that to the people on the 986 Facebook group. Every week or so some muppet will ask, "Which engine is better, 2.5 or 3.2?"This then spirals into a d**k swinging contest where various people claim that the 3.2 is some kind of supercar killer, the 2.5 is only for children and hairdressers, their mates/aunties/second cousins 911 GT3 can't keep up with their Boxster with a K&N filter yada yada yada. I have tried to block/leave the group but it keeps sending me notifications.

Lol yep you're right. I frequent that one myself sometimes. There's definitely some "characters" on there. Tyre choice is the favourite that gets em all hot and bothered. There's one guy on there that talks so derogatorally about the 2.5 because he's got an S that you'd swear he was referring to a different manufacturer.

9 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Lol yep you're right. I frequent that one myself sometimes. There's definitely some "characters" on there. Tyre choice is the favourite that gets em all hot and bothered. There's one guy on there that talks so derogatorally about the 2.5 because he's got an S that you'd swear he was referring to a different manufacturer.

I'd be happy to ask said guy to race, you know like boy racers and fast and the furious... That will solve it. 

Brum Brum 😁

On 8/2/2020 at 3:23 PM, Cheddar Bob said:

So today I followed a 3.2s with a 2.5 behind me and I'm in the 2.7

I noticed no real world difference between any of us. In fact I didn't realise the chap behind was in a 2.5 I assumed he was in at least a 2.7

I'm sure the subtle differences in getting ones foot down earlier, different gearing that might bring the gaps closer on the road, but the performance figures are different but I'm just not seeing it. 

I can't find a video on YouTube with all 3 either...

Guys/girls with the S, what are your thoughts, are you mirror watching thinking why is that car so close? 

Same for the 2.5 crowd. Do you think wow, they aren't pulling away... 

From the 2.7 side, I keep thinking that the 3.2s can't be putting their foot down all the way....

On a side note, I would be interested in making a video with the three motors if a 2.5 and a 3.2 owner felt the same.

Not sure how I have missed this thread but being the chap behind you I can say I was struggling a little bit , at times , to hold onto your back side ! 😉

Really good day out , really enjoyed tracking you Bob 👍

1 hour ago, Truth said:

Not sure how I have missed this thread but being the chap behind you I can say I was struggling a little bit , at times , to hold onto your back side ! 😉

Really good day out , really enjoyed tracking you Bob 👍

I thought you were following close behind 😁

On 8/13/2020 at 1:27 PM, Cheddar Bob said:

Now you're just taking the p*ss 😁😂😂

On 8/13/2020 at 2:05 PM, Menoporsche said:

Bob, meet EXY...

Kettle to POT, "You're Coloured". :)

Archived