2.5 - 2.7 - 3.2 speed difference

Cheddar Bob

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Does the speed of the box counteract the weight

I will be " down grading" to a tiptronic version in due course.

Chronic medical condition means my 2.7 manual will be traded for a 3.2s tiptronic version. ......

only if I can find another artic silver with terracotta red interior. .......

So hopefully I won't notice the difference. 

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

When I owned the mini I enjoyed the laziness when I wanted.  one for go and one for stop...

I'd say the dark side is not the tiptronic side. More Mr bright side  

Paddles make it so!!

Hi

I have a 993 Tip with a very nice Atiwe steering wheel that has a - button on the left and a + on the right, so thats how I switch with the 986. Saves me getting confused. Paddles would be too much for me.

10 hours ago, stevemag said:

Chronic medical condition means my 2.7 manual will be traded for a 3.2s tiptronic version. ......

You’ve been saying this for at least two years Steve, I guess you’re trying to put off the evil moment for as long as possible :) 

18 minutes ago, Nobbie said:
11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

When did they produce the diesel Boxster then? 🤔

Should definitely be @Escy‘s next project🤣

A certain member has a 718 diseasel - does 50 MPG on a spirited run.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

You’ve been saying this for at least two years Steve, I guess you’re trying to put off the evil moment for as long as possible :) 

Yeap.......the writing is on the wall. (50miles between mot's ) lockdown hasnt helped 

You’ve been putting too many miles on that tractor!!

Let us know when you start looking, you know this place loves buying cars for other people :)  A high mileage PDK might be around for 12k, could you manage that or you really want 986?

This way it appeals to (stereotype) well off bored housewives (/stereotype) as well as performance nuts. Stereotypes aside there are several happy 2.7 owners here. Some are even (shock) concerned about fuel economy. 

Other way round; what lower range cars are offered in only one engine size?

IIRC the Boxster has only ever had a maximum of 2 basic options as any one time, the smaller engine in a 'standard' car and a bigger engine in a 'sports' or 'halo' (as the marketing people would call it) version.  That said for 2½ years there was only a 2.5 before in 1999 it was enlarged to 2.7 and the 3.2 added to set the pattern that exists through to today.  Both though are very competent cars.

8 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

The halo Boxster was the 918. But don’t tell 911 owners that, they get huffy. 
;)  

Not in the slightest 😊 given the opportunity & finances that is one Boxster I’d be happy to own 🤪

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

IIRC the Boxster has only ever had a maximum of 2 basic options as any one time, the smaller engine in a 'standard' car and a bigger engine in a 'sports' or 'halo' (as the marketing people would call it) version.  That said for 2½ years there was only a 2.5 before in 1999 it was enlarged to 2.7 and the 3.2 added to set the pattern that exists through to today.  Both though are very competent cars.

<pedant mode> The 3.2 was alongside the 2.5 and was a replacement for the 2.5 Lux before the 2.7 was introduced as a replacement for a 2.5.  I think it was for one model year.</mode>

Many early 2.5s are very heavily spec'd when there was just one engined model.

3 hours ago, Araf said:

<pedant mode> The 3.2 was alongside the 2.5 and was a replacement for the 2.5 Lux before the 2.7 was introduced as a replacement for a 2.5.  I think it was for one model year.</mode>

Many early 2.5s are very heavily spec'd when there was just one engined model.

:worship:

On 8/10/2020 at 11:08 AM, Menoporsche said:

:D 
If I had one I’d always start it by saying “Flight checks complete, prepare for take off” :) 

I like to watch the start of that fracture movie with Anthony Hopkins. I'm just thinking how good I'd look in a 918 when his wife comes home in her boxster and reality hits. The only film that makes me think my boxster is - well, not exactly inadequate but....

On 8/10/2020 at 8:43 AM, Cheddar Bob said:

I've been thinking, it's an Interesting concept having three engine models with limited difference. Are we really that fickle as humans that we need choice to be different ...

What if the box was only made with one engine.....

For starters Porsche would lose out on the opportunity to charge a higher markup for people willing to pay for the extra girth option...😉

On 8/2/2020 at 4:11 PM, usman10316 said:

911 turbo - there is no competition. 

On 8/2/2020 at 4:09 PM, edc said:

Anywhere where you can put the power down a 911 turbo is much faster. In the twisty stuff like in the Alps, especially more so downhill, there is very little in it. 

Am I reading this correctly your saying there is very little difference downhill between a Boxster and 911 turbo 🤷🏼‍♂️

having owned a 996turbo with only 14k miles on the clock a manual car and just this weekend purchased a 986 Boxster S I can tell you your away with the fairy’s sorry if this offends you but I have first hand experience in both cars and the 911 turbo is worlds apart from a Boxster.

before you try defending yourself telling me how similar they are, I can tell you the similarities end at the interior.

Archived