2.5 - 2.7 - 3.2 speed difference

Cheddar Bob

2 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I might have posted this before. According to the internet.... 

204ps - 2.5 

6.9s to 60

14.9s 1/4

228ps - 2.7

6.0s to 60

14.2s 1/4

252ps - 3.2

5.9s to 60

13.8s - 1/4

Which in the "real world" means no real difference.

The reason I went for a 2.7 with loads of upgrades  ( done by previous owners)  & not a 3.2 

But

We're all different with differing tastes and budgets 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I might have posted this before. According to the internet.... 

204ps - 2.5 

6.9s to 60

14.9s 1/4

228ps - 2.7

6.0s to 60

14.2s 1/4

252ps - 3.2

5.9s to 60

13.8s - 1/4

If you have a Driver Manual take a look in the back section which give 2.7 and 3.2S gearing, performance tec. for the given model year for the manual.  Not sure of the source of you stats, I cross referenced to this site https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Porsche/3620/Porsche-Boxster-(986)-25.html as a common source of info on all the 986 range.  Agree with the power but acceleration:

2.5 (204PS) to 100km/h (62mph) - 6.9

2.7 (220PS) - 6.6s

2.7 (228PS) - 6.4s

3.2 (252PS) - 5.9s

3.2 (260PS) - 5.7s

3.2 550 Spyder (266PS) - 5.7s 

Now few owners can replicate the test results for fear of destroying their transmission and probably don't have the load/kerb weight set to test conditions.  Also bear in mind 2.5 and 2.7 have a different final drive to a 3.2 but wider ratios and the 3.2 has a longer final drive with the extra gear to make the ratios closer.  The 3.2 also weight 110kg more than a 2.7 and 120kg more than a 2.5.  The margins are close for all but a skilled test driver to 'feel' without a stopwatch for reference and the ability to give a repeatable performance.  I've only driven a 3.2 but from what is said, the experience is different even if the performance is not that much different. However biggest variable is still most likely the driver...

When you drive a Boxster S that’s in tip-top condition you can feel there is so much more torque and don’t have to rev it so hard. I have the 2.7 but only because at the time it was the best condition Boxster I could find for my budget and imo that’s probably the way to go. Look at your budget and buy the best you can. I decided to buy a lower spec well maintained clean Boxster than for the same money a possibly more tired S but when funds can I would love the S. 

1 minute ago, Boxsum said:

When you drive a Boxster S that’s in tip-top condition you can feel there is so much more torque and don’t have to rev it so hard. I have the 2.7 but only because at the time it was the best condition Boxster I could find for my budget and imo that’s probably the way to go. Look at your budget and buy the best you can. I decided to buy a lower spec well maintained clean Boxster than for the same money a possibly more tired S but when funds can I would love the S. 

I own an S and obviously would not want to go to a 2.5 or 2.7 but if I owned one of those I am not sure an S would be enough of an upgrade to make it worthwhile. I have said it several times on here, it makes no difference on the roads that we (I include the northern tw*ts sl*gging me off in previous posts) drive on and get most enjoyment from. I have done a good few mods to my car as I would like the engine to reach its true potential, it feels better but has not resulted in any additional pace when measured against the 2.5s, 2.7s or indeed the other 3.2s I drive with.

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I admit I must have. Have removed the post anyway as the tone regarding speed on the road could have been misconstrued.

We all knew you meant in a controlled, non-highway environment, or everyone would be keeping to limits. :D 

50 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

I have the 2.7 but only because at the time it was the best condition Boxster I could find for my budget and imo that’s probably the way to go. Look at your budget and buy the best you can.

Amen brother 🙏

41 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

You're feisty this morning....

Still excited from all the sheep action I'll wager 🐑

3 minutes ago, EXY said:

Still excited from all the sheep action I'll wager 🐑

Bah, err... Nah.

That would be the chap who took photos of the sheep, as well as someone taking a leak.

Just perverted.

1 minute ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Bah, err... Nah.

That would be the chap who took photos of the sheep, as well as someone taking a leak.

Just perverted.

It's the wellies that give the game away :)

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

If you have a Driver Manual take a look in the back section which give 2.7 and 3.2S gearing, performance tec. for the given model year for the manual.  Not sure of the source of you stats, I cross referenced to this site https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Porsche/3620/Porsche-Boxster-(986)-25.html as a common source of info on all the 986 range.  Agree with the power but acceleration:

2.5 (204PS) to 100km/h (62mph) - 6.9

2.7 (220PS) - 6.6s

2.7 (228PS) - 6.4s

3.2 (252PS) - 5.9s

3.2 (260PS) - 5.7s

3.2 550 Spyder (266PS) - 5.7s 

Now few owners can replicate the test results for fear of destroying their transmission and probably don't have the load/kerb weight set to test conditions.  Also bear in mind 2.5 and 2.7 have a different final drive to a 3.2 but wider ratios and the 3.2 has a longer final drive with the extra gear to make the ratios closer.  The 3.2 also weight 110kg more than a 2.7 and 120kg more than a 2.5.  The margins are close for all but a skilled test driver to 'feel' without a stopwatch for reference and the ability to give a repeatable performance.  I've only driven a 3.2 but from what is said, the experience is different even if the performance is not that much different. However biggest variable is still most likely the driver...

Some non descript website from a Google search. I'll have to search again to find it. 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Wow really? No wonder it’s not much faster. Where is all that weight going to?  

The later 2.7 was 90kg heavier.  Probably the reinforcement Porsche had to fit into the rear due to cracking on some of the earlier cars, plus bigger wheels/tyres, heavier brakes and the 6 speed Getrag box also a number of options on the 2.7 being included as standard on the S.

It’s just about the Torque, my dears, just don’t have to shuffle the gears as much in a 3.2/3.4 in the same given environment as I’ve found from experience, having owned a 2.7 albeit briefly and the rest have been the latter.They are only a pump anyway and if I was drowning in a pool and it had to be pumped out quickly, I think I would want the larger pump!!!!

55 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

It’s just about the Torque, my dears, just don’t have to shuffle the gears as much in a 3.2/3.4 in the same given environment as I’ve found from experience, having owned a 2.7 albeit briefly and the rest have been the latter.They are only a pump anyway and if I was drowning in a pool and it had to be pumped out quickly, I think I would want the larger pump!!!!

Interesting analogy!  If a little strange...

So an old 190hp American 5 litre V8 or 250hp 3.2 Porsche to empty your pool??

1 hour ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Peak power means nothing.

What's important is the area under the curve - torque defines this.

This is true, my diesel Mondeo is a fraction over 200bhp but has 400nm of torque. It's noticeably stronger out of bends than my S was 👍🏻

1 minute ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Does the speed of the box counteract the weight

Havn’t got a clue. 

Tip 0-60 time is slower then manual. 

Is it the box or the extra weight that makes it slower.? 

1 minute ago, PaulQ said:

Havn’t got a clue. 

Tip 0-60 time is slower then manual. 

Is it the box or the extra weight that makes it slower.? 

I'd imagine Porsche put it on the box it would be for a reason and hopefully not comfort or laziness

29 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Havn’t got a clue. 

Neither does the OP.

They don't know the difference between tiptronic and PDK.

They have however imparted their wisdom on the IMSB issue, and what to look for when buying one.

Hi

The tip box is a lump for sure. I had mine attached to an engine stand when I had it out recently. It was unpleasant to lift with two people.

For my part I am reasonably sure I can drive my Tip faster than I could a manual most of the time, and with less effort. Thats why I own one. Plus for me the 986 is not really about speed. Horses for courses! Right!.

Berni

29 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

The tip box is a lump for sure. I had mine attached to an engine stand when I had it out recently. It was unpleasant to lift with two people.

For my part I am reasonably sure I can drive my Tip faster than I could a manual most of the time, and with less effort. Thats why I own one. Plus for me the 986 is not really about speed. Horses for courses! Right!.

Berni

Warming to the Tip myself, especially with the paddle shifter mod

16 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Don't forget tiptronic box adds around 60kg iirc. 

On the S a like-for-like model year is 40kg more for the Tip and 0.6 slower to 100km/h.  Got to love a torque convertor!!!

Archived