2.5 - 2.7 - 3.2 speed difference

Cheddar Bob

21 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

There's a hint of casual racism there 😜

If that's what you think, you might want to explore some older posts....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

👍 my comment was tongue in cheek

That's fine then. :) 

We're all orangist on here, as far as Meno's concerned. :)

11 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Twice as fast as a 3.0... sorry bad joke. 

No wait ignore that apology I'm going soft. 

What's an ls3

Check this out

"

Without diminishing any of the celebrated attributes of the Boxster, Renegade has developed a kit to install the all aluminum LS series V8, adding greater reliability and power, without sacrifice.

Critics, Purists and Enthusiasts agree, the Renegade Hybrids 986 Boxster S V8 conversion just makes perfect sense. Why? Let's look at the facts together:

The flat-6 engine from the Boxster S, and an LS series all aluminum V8, weigh almost exactly the same. The Boxster S produced horse power in the mid 200's, yet a new, entry-level GM LS-3 engine, starts in the mid 400's which is higher horse power than a twin turbo! The twin-turbo factory engine weighs 200lbs. more than the LS and costs 3 times as much! The stock cooling system found in the Boxster S will support the V8 using our conversion kit! The stock fuel system found in the Boxster S will support the V8 using our conversion parts! The stock 6 speed transaxle will handle the LS V8 torque up to 500HP with minimal abuse. The gauges can be converted to work with your V8. Both the power steering and water pump are now electric increasing HP and efficiency! $19 oil changes and there is ample more room to service the engine! 50 state smog legal emissions options while still enhancing performance! And finally, much greater reliability and performance!"

Basically the GM motor is nearly the same weight as the 3.2 Boxster S motor, and fits in the Boxster engine bay. I think the LS3 comes standard with 400hp but with mild bolt-ons is easily around 480hp

On 8/12/2020 at 10:25 AM, EXY said:

Could be worse you could have mentioned you are a Landlord :)

Throw in the following comments randomly and you will be fine;

911's are OK if you like that sort of thing. 

I have an itch that needs scratched. 

Pistonheads is full of ar*e holes. 

While making progress I had a moment, must have been diesel on the road. 

Biggest performance enhancement is some driver training as Chris Harris could have you in a Micra. 

N rated tyres are mandatory. 

And lastly 'Black lives matter' 

You're welcome :)

...here's a picture of my wheel

I like the last one best

On 8/3/2020 at 1:21 PM, K.I.T.T. said:

Bah, err... Nah.

That would be the chap who took photos of the sheep, as well as someone taking a leak.

Just perverted.

Not short on judgement are you? 
Pun intended (for the educationally sub-normal) 

15 hours ago, cjmarka said:

I wish I had the time I'd do an LS3 swap and see how fast a 6.0 would be 

Why would you lower the capacity?  LS2 is 6 litres, LS3 is 6.2 litres. ;) 

19 hours ago, cjmarka said:

Check this out

"

Without diminishing any of the celebrated attributes of the Boxster, Renegade has developed a kit to install the all aluminum LS series V8, adding greater reliability and power, without sacrifice.

Critics, Purists and Enthusiasts agree, the Renegade Hybrids 986 Boxster S V8 conversion just makes perfect sense. Why? Let's look at the facts together:

The flat-6 engine from the Boxster S, and an LS series all aluminum V8, weigh almost exactly the same. The Boxster S produced horse power in the mid 200's, yet a new, entry-level GM LS-3 engine, starts in the mid 400's which is higher horse power than a twin turbo! The twin-turbo factory engine weighs 200lbs. more than the LS and costs 3 times as much! The stock cooling system found in the Boxster S will support the V8 using our conversion kit! The stock fuel system found in the Boxster S will support the V8 using our conversion parts! The stock 6 speed transaxle will handle the LS V8 torque up to 500HP with minimal abuse. The gauges can be converted to work with your V8. Both the power steering and water pump are now electric increasing HP and efficiency! $19 oil changes and there is ample more room to service the engine! 50 state smog legal emissions options while still enhancing performance! And finally, much greater reliability and performance!"

Basically the GM motor is nearly the same weight as the 3.2 Boxster S motor, and fits in the Boxster engine bay. I think the LS3 comes standard with 400hp but with mild bolt-ons is easily around 480hp

looking at the photos it looks like they have to cut out the bulk head a little to get the motor in. I think the Audi V6 biTurbo doesnt require that. that would be my choice i think as the motors are a lot more available here in the UK. 

3 hours ago, Jord said:

looking at the photos it looks like they have to cut out the bulk head a little to get the motor in. I think the Audi V6 biTurbo doesnt require that. that would be my choice i think as the motors are a lot more available here in the UK. 

The V6T and V8 have different appeals. For me the Boxster especially in 986 form suits a revvier engine. A revvy V8 would be nice but so equally would a bigger power and capacity revvy flat 6.

16 minutes ago, edc said:

The V6T and V8 have different appeals. For me the Boxster especially in 986 form suits a revvier engine. A revvy V8 would be nice but so equally would a bigger power and capacity revvy flat 6.

Actually you might be surprised. Again I've never been a fan of bulky V8's but the LS3 is special; might be top-5 engine ever made. I think with minor modification the LS3 is 500+ hp at 6,300 RPM. The Porsche 3.2 reaches peak power at 6,200 rpm. so it's just as revvy. Its also lightweight - it's completely aluminum from block to head. I think it only weighs about 10kg heavier than the 3.2 engine in the Porsche

When I say revvy I mean the power building throughout the rev range rather than say a flat torque curve from 2.5k rpm. I don't know much about the newer LS engines. I had a 5.5 na AMG V8 and that makes power all the way to the red line and builds nicely. 

The 986 for me is about a modicum of delicacy and flow. An engine that spins the wheels up through all the gears and from low or mid rev range would destroy the character of the car. 

I think a slug more of the same a it already has would be a nice balance and be manageable. 

1 hour ago, cjmarka said:

Actually you might be surprised. Again I've never been a fan of bulky V8's but the LS3 is special; might be top-5 engine ever made. I think with minor modification the LS3 is 500+ hp at 6,300 RPM. The Porsche 3.2 reaches peak power at 6,200 rpm. so it's just as revvy. Its also lightweight - it's completely aluminum from block to head. I think it only weighs about 10kg heavier than the 3.2 engine in the Porsche

I span my LS3 to around 9500rpm. :thumbsup_still:

Then I had to change the engine.... :cry:

1 hour ago, cjmarka said:

lol I wish I could have seen that

It wasn't pretty.  VXR8 - or what you would know as a G8GT on a mile event.  4th to 3rd (instead of 5th) at around 125mph and introduced the tops of the pistons to the valves. :( 

2 hours ago, Araf said:

It wasn't pretty.  VXR8 - or what you would know as a G8GT on a mile event.  4th to 3rd (instead of 5th) at around 125mph and introduced the tops of the pistons to the valves. :( 

At least you found out 9500rpm was 125mph 

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

"low down" being the issue.

We usually say, the main real-life difference between the cars is how much you want to stir the box.

friend (no a real one) found out the hard way re stirring the box.

Decided to slip Morris Marina into reverse to engage lights whilst going forward at 60, "for a laugh" 

Farmer eventually got the divets out of the field.

Archived