I managed to own a Boxster for 1 hour before it went wrong

Bleedsoff

18 hours ago, Bleedsoff said:

I sent an email this morning. Got a call a couple of hours later. No quibble at all. They said they perfectly understand and they want to make me happy. Top service I have to say. 

Well done sir, good choice made and sounds like the dealer is a decent place as well. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news and nice to hear. Are you back on the hunt for another Boxster or been burnt by the experience? I would not let it put you off as they are probably one of the most rewarding cars to own for the price.

Good luck with whatever you do.

8 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

Good news and nice to hear. Are you back on the hunt for another Boxster or been burnt by the experience? I would not let it put you off as they are probably one of the most rewarding cars to own for the price.

Good luck with whatever you do.

I would love a Porsche. However I’m car-less and spending money on rental cars has starting to take its toll on me. So I think I’ll go get a reliable run about. 

I find with these sort of cars takes a lot of time and effort to find decent example. In regards to sourcing and getting it inspected etc. I already inspected another previous Boxster I liked the look of a few weeks back through Revolution Porsche and they said don't buy it. So I’ve spent a small amount of money on 2 Boxsters already and not have one even get on my drive. Not sure I’ve got the patience or energy to try again for now. 

4 minutes ago, Bleedsoff said:

I would love a Porsche. However I’m car-less and spending money on rental cars has starting to take its toll on me. So I think I’ll go get a reliable run about. 

I find with these sort of cars takes a lot of time and effort to find decent example. In regards to sourcing and getting it inspected etc. I already inspected another previous Boxster I liked the look of a few weeks back through Revolution Porsche and they said don't buy it. So I’ve spent a small amount of money on 2 Boxsters already and not have one even get on my drive. Not sure I’ve got the patience or energy to try again for now. 

I can understand your position, although i suspect a lot of the time with inspections they will always find "something", after all you are paying them to find problems

I've had my fingers burnt before at all levels of cost so i don't think there is ever a right way of doing it, lady luck has a certain element in the buying process. I've even had brand new cars that have had to go back for relatively major issues (new ECU, steering racks, etc)

Good luck with your hunt!

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

I can understand your position, although i suspect a lot of the time with inspections they will always find "something", after all you are paying them to find problems

I've had my fingers burnt before at all levels of cost so i don't think there is ever a right way of doing it, lady luck has a certain element in the buying process. I've even had brand new cars that have had to go back for relatively major issues (new ECU, steering racks, etc)

Good luck with your hunt!

+1 - you want to see how often you can send a new/nearly new car back to the garage for repairs - buy a range rover !

New/different is no guarantee of reliability - but appreciate your situation with not wanting to take another risk right now. But if you do get a good boxster then you'll get rewarded in smiles more than you expected for years.

sounds like you need time - so maybe a good thing is not to rush to do something else right now - get a sh*t box for 6 months and sell it on for scrap afterwards - buys you time to think and decide what you want to do without losing a lot of money on something expensive or rentals meanwhile.

either way, best of luck with whatever you decide

5 hours ago, Bleedsoff said:

May I be the devils advocate?

You bought a car that went wrong within an hour, obviously you are not happy and decide to cancel the deal, got your money and return home with a sense of relief.

Few days later you start a new search and find another car, check it, all is good, pay your money and drive home....

What you don't know is that this car chewed a valve 3 weeks earlier and the engine had another cyl. fitted, but you are happy as you have no knowledge of that.

The only way to have some sort of peace of mind is to buy a new car and even this is not bullet proof.

The best advice I can give you is the advice I followed when it was given to me. Buy the model that is least likely to cause you a mechanical headache, and which will also, coincidentally, be the easiest to sell on, should you decide the Porsche experience is not for you. That, at least in 987.1 form, would be a late 3.2. There's nothing wrong with a 2.7, but they seem to struggle to sell.

Do your homework with chassis numbers, get one of the mid 2005 onward cars with the bigger IMS bearing, avoid any potential 3.4 bore scoring issues, almost eliminate the IMS problem. To my mind, it's the easiest ownership proposition of the 2004 -2009 modesl. There are what seem to be some very sensibly priced cars of that ilk on the market currently.

An even easier way in would be to get a Gen 2. Don't give up, you regret the things you don't do!

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, Bleedsoff said:

Right.

Back on the look out for a Boxster again. Hopefully will last longer than an hour this time!

Glad to hear you are back in the game. 

We are of course happy to spend other people’s money so what are your

have to haves,

like to haves,

don’t give a **** to have and

wouldn’ have if you have it to me criteria 

and what’s the budget.  ?

11 hours ago, Paul P said:

Glad to hear you are back in the game. 

We are of course happy to spend other people’s money so what are your

have to haves,

like to haves,

don’t give a **** to have and

wouldn’ have if you have it to me criteria 

and what’s the budget.  ?

Well on a tight budget. Was looking for below 10k if I'm honest, possibly a bit higher. Ideally would prefer a 3.2 engine to the 2.7 but might be hard on my budget. 

Things I would like at least are heated seats, park sensors, love the lobster claw alloys, good service history and rather OEM then heavily modded cars. In regards to colour silvers, blues just not red and not very drawn to black.

Oh and manual* edit

51 minutes ago, Bleedsoff said:

Well on a tight budget. Was looking for below 10k if I'm honest, possibly a bit higher. Ideally would prefer a 3.2 engine to the 2.7 but might be hard on my budget. 

Things I would like at least are heated seats, park sensors, love the lobster claw alloys, good service history and rather OEM then heavily modded cars. In regards to colour silvers, blues just not red and not very drawn to black.

Oh and manual* edit

Best of luck in your search. Third time lucky.

I'd sooner have a nice 2.7 than a slightly less nice 3.2. OK I have a 2.7 but it's a sweet engine and a joy to use. It's not slow you just have to work it harder. Which of course is a large part of the fun. Also a late 05 2.7 with the better IMS is top of the tree for bulletproofness as far as the gen 1 goes. In case you have residual Porsche paranoia.

1 hour ago, Bleedsoff said:

Welcome back.

Parking sensors and lobster claws are an easy retrofit so don't hold out for them. OEM heated seats are more difficult. Oh, and speakers in the doors if you like your sounds, again difficult to retrofit.

I would also suggest xenons/litronics if it will be for regular use in the dark (eg commuting winter evenings). Standard Boxster lights are not liked by many (might be linked to the fact that many of us are (well) over 40 with eyes accordingly). You can see them at a glance by the nipples (washers) in front of the headlights.

So seen a 2006 2.7 80,000 miles seems like its been regularly serviced however am now looking into detail on the service history. 

Has quite a few extras factory some being heated seats, Bose, hardtop and Xenons. 

Just a smidge under 9k they are asking. is that good? I have seen prices have been creeping up since I last looked. 

3 hours ago, Bleedsoff said:

So seen a 2006 2.7 80,000 miles seems like its been regularly serviced however am now looking into detail on the service history. 

Has quite a few extras factory some being heated seats, Bose, hardtop and Xenons. 

Just a smidge under 9k they are asking. is that good? I have seen prices have been creeping up since I last looked. 

I'd be interested in the hardtop if you decide you don't want it. No hurry to decide. 

Archived