Bubbles under paint

Christopher2110

Gave the Boxster a quick wash yesterday and noticed some bubbles under the paint on the front wing. Almost like the air bubbles you get when applying vinyl. They are quite noticeable and then move around when pressure is applied with your finger.
I can't see any signs of rust anywhere on the wing and I cannot see any other bubbles anywhere else on the car, anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas?

hpr5vCNm.jpg hTDGRQfm.mp4 

10 minutes ago, T11Mike said:

Could be rust blisters has it been  accident repaired at some time?

No sign of any accident damage, no orange peel or over spray anywhere and all the paint matches so unsure but wouldn't rule it out!

4 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

They look like moisture blisters to me. At a guess that wing has been resprayed (badly I'm afraid). The only remedy is to strip and repaint

Do we think it's a complete strip and repaint, or something a decent smart repair could resolve?

Never seen that before on here. So I'm guessing a bad respray.  How long have you had the car, do you know when they appeared?

You could try a smart repair but I'd fear that more would appear later.

1 hour ago, Christopher2110 said:

No sign of any accident damage, no orange peel or over spray anywhere and all the paint matches so unsure but wouldn't rule it out!

Do we think it's a complete strip and repaint, or something a decent smart repair could resolve?

It'll be a complete strip and respray. Most decent bodyshops will want to take that back to bare metal to avoid it recurring. 

It's possible but fairly unlikely it has happened to original paint. A front end respray isn't unusual and doesn't always point to an accident (the front end of my Cayman was done when it was purchased used from an OPC) 

1 minute ago, T11Mike said:

Seen it once on an accident repair where the bare metal areas of the panel hadn't been treated properly so the rust got to work.

I think it is more likely to be microblisters (Google it) than rust. Either way it'll need repairing but as the weather improves, you may find that they shrink somewhat

2 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

Gave the Boxster a quick wash yesterday and noticed some bubbles under the paint on the front wing. Almost like the air bubbles you get when applying vinyl. They are quite noticeable and then move around when pressure is applied with your finger.
I can't see any signs of rust anywhere on the wing and I cannot see any other bubbles anywhere else on the car, anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas?

hpr5vCNm.jpg hTDGRQfm.mp4 

I get a similar thing on one if my wing mirrors in the winter but the blisters are only tiny in comparison. I'm assuming its been repainted at some stage.Definitely not rust on my mirror as its plastic, so yours may not be either. They disappear once its warmed up but i fear yours are too pronounced for that to happen.

2 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

They look like moisture blisters to me. At a guess that wing has been resprayed (badly I'm afraid). The only remedy is to strip and repaint

I agree. Had this on an Audi and that was the diagnosis. I didn't follow up on the free respray which was offered but oddly the rash disappeared!

23 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

I wonder if they can be encouraged to disappear with some heat then? Maybe a hair dryer

You have nothing to lose by trying. It’s strange if you can move the blisters around with your finger as it implies a flexible film on the surface and either air or water trapped underneath. Not had any paint treatments done? 

I recently found similar on my car, never seen it before and suspect the current weather made it show up.  I'd booked mine to have some paint repair to the o/s front wheel arch where I'd grounded it avoiding a tractor (another story).  Then when the paint guy came to pick it up I showed him (it's on the rear o/s quarter).  He could immediately see it had been badly re-painted, so I'm having him do that too.  It was one of only two panels I thought hadn't already had paint lol.  I've had the car 9 years and it had never been visible before

Just wondering - I might have missed this earlier, there's definitely not a PPF film on top of the paint? Seems odd to have such big bubbles but not burst the paint. I'd have expected the paint to have popped already with that...

I did read this though, pointing to bad prep (although this should have happened sooner/immediately after respray):

Larger car paint bubbles

Generally speaking, if you have anything from a pencil eraser to a quarter or even a half dollar size bubble, your looking at bigger problems. Most of the time it is due to the body work, poor paint prep, or rust. There are always exceptions. Let’s take a look at some issues:

Rust bubbles under paint

When we talk about rust under the paint it can be caused by a problem when the metal was exposed prior to painting, or for old paint and  OEM paint the most likely source is from the back side. If there was a scratch or chip down to the metal it may have started to rust. But a bubble rusting from the exposed area or from underneath is fairly evident and self explanatory. We are more concerned of a car paint bubble as it pertains to a refinish process. A prime example is a vehicle that was in our shop and the painter was getting ready to put primer on a fender he had stripped down to the metal. But he decided to leave it till after lunch. While he was gone, another person had come over to the car and for some reason leaned up against the fender with his hand on the bare metal. When the painter came back he went ahead and primed the fender. Continued to refinish the area. A month later there were little bubbles on the fender in the shape of a hand print. The body can give off a bit of salt in your sweat as well as oils from your skin. That is why it is so important to clean the bare metal surface good and prime it right away. There is proper priming procedures also which we will discuss later

14 hours ago, dpg123 said:

Just wondering - I might have missed this earlier, there's definitely not a PPF film on top of the paint? Seems odd to have such big bubbles but not burst the paint. I'd have expected the paint to have popped already with that...

I did read this though, pointing to bad prep (although this should have happened sooner/immediately after respray):

Larger car paint bubbles

Generally speaking, if you have anything from a pencil eraser to a quarter or even a half dollar size bubble, your looking at bigger problems. Most of the time it is due to the body work, poor paint prep, or rust. There are always exceptions. Let’s take a look at some issues:

Rust bubbles under paint

When we talk about rust under the paint it can be caused by a problem when the metal was exposed prior to painting, or for old paint and  OEM paint the most likely source is from the back side. If there was a scratch or chip down to the metal it may have started to rust. But a bubble rusting from the exposed area or from underneath is fairly evident and self explanatory. We are more concerned of a car paint bubble as it pertains to a refinish process. A prime example is a vehicle that was in our shop and the painter was getting ready to put primer on a fender he had stripped down to the metal. But he decided to leave it till after lunch. While he was gone, another person had come over to the car and for some reason leaned up against the fender with his hand on the bare metal. When the painter came back he went ahead and primed the fender. Continued to refinish the area. A month later there were little bubbles on the fender in the shape of a hand print. The body can give off a bit of salt in your sweat as well as oils from your skin. That is why it is so important to clean the bare metal surface good and prime it right away. There is proper priming procedures also which we will discuss later

No PPF unfortunately! Thanks for the info 

12 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Hi @Christopher2110 I asked some friends in the trade - they said likely to be moisture in the airline during paint.

Hope you can re prep / paint with as little hassle as poss.

Thanks @Andy Mac I wonder if that was moisture in the airline when the original paint was applied at the factory 😔

@bally4563 I was very tempted to pop them straight away, but I was unsure whether that would just open up a can of worms and let more air/ moisture in

Archived