Project 387

timbobalobox

13 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

£60k! Whoosh! 

Interesting trimming job done on the seats. I think I quite like it, although it looks pretty poor (lots of creasing). 

These cars look great and they command an impressive price because of the look. I'm looking forward to seeing @timbobolox's progress. He's taking the time to get it 'just so.'

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 10:00 AM, ½cwt said:

How's things @timbobalobox, some withdrawal kicking in here!  Not wishing to pressurise though.

Sorry guys - it's still in the paint shop!  There were some delays (the door, front bonnet latch going on so it could be gapped etc) which meant it lost it's work slot several times :( 

I'm confident in the guy's work, so not rushing it.  I would have liked it back pre-Christmas as mentioned as I could have worked on it in the downtime, but it wasn't meant to be!

I spoke to Iconic last week and the wheels should be ready in the next week or so.

However... I am due to be starting my busy period at work so I'll fit in what I can.  I also just realised it's almost a year since I got the car! (2nd Feb)  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

... i have a sneaky suspicion that Timbo's is gonna look a let better than this as i suspect she'll be a darker colour. Rear wheels need spacers and it's just sitting too low for me hence it looks too long...?

Just my opinion of course but £60k.... it'll be for sale for a while at that price.

However, i really like the rims.

Thank you!  I'm going more for the 'Outlaw' look (company in the States who rebuild original 356s).  These cars seems so colour sensitive - I'm still thinking the original 'slate grey', but maybe with a touch more green in like Walter Roehrl's, that can all change once I see the mock up!

IMG_4109

I think those rims are quite similar to the ones I'm getting - can't remember if I've got the black centres powdercoated as it was a while ago I ordered them :D 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, McDonald said:

These cars look great and they command an impressive price because of the look. I'm looking forward to seeing @timbobolox's progress. He's taking the time to get it 'just so.'

Thank you - the 'right' price where they sell more easily seems to be between £40-50k, which is still a lot of money of course (particularly for the car it's based on).  It's a tricky one to place in the market as it's lower much than the Outlaw or Starke, or even Singer (£200k+), but obviously still something fairly unique.

Being honest it's the final little finishing details I'm most nervous about getting right; for example the front bonnet latch has to be turned through 180deg so it fits around the new clam. This means the handle to unlatch it completely needs fabricating and a neat slot creating. 

To me it's all those bits that if not done nicely, will make it look like what it ultimately is...  If done well however I think it's got the opportunity to look quite special - time will tell!

• Like 1

Good to hear from you and we are all only inquiring because we are so interested in the project, me particularly as I am at home a lot more so need the excitement from other peoples lives!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terryg said:

I am at home a lot more so need the excitement from other peoples lives!

My work has dried up at present (it usually does in Jan/Feb). I like being at home when the weather is good but endless dark skies & rain is limiting. The forum is a good refuge.

27 minutes ago, McDonald said:

My work has dried up at present (it usually does in Jan/Feb). I like being at home when the weather is good but endless dark skies & rain is limiting. The forum is a good refuge.

I sold up in UK and moved back to Ireland, I planned on doing loads of work but if you think it's miserable there, you should try the west coast of Ireland! Hence a larger than usual output of drivel from me.

2 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

Being honest it's the final little finishing details I'm most nervous about getting right; for example the front bonnet latch has to be turned through 180deg so it fits around the new clam. This means the handle to unlatch it completely needs fabricating and a neat slot creating. 

To me it's all those bits that if not done nicely, will make it look like what it ultimately is...  If done well however I think it's got the opportunity to look quite special - time will tell!

Absolutely agree; details matter. I've seen any number of project cars which look great at 10 paces but up close the builder has done the easiest job rather than the best one. It's worth the effort to do things well IMHO. 

• Like 1

Small update...

Spoken to the painters - they're stacked out at the minute, but I should have it back in 6 weeks (so back end of Feb (ish!))

They're going to send me some photos this week which I'll upload.  

Just need to empty the garage of all of the junk accumulated through Christmas :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, timbobalobox said:

Small update...

Spoken to the painters - they're stacked out at the minute, but I should have it back in 6 weeks (so back end of Feb (ish!))

They're going to send me some photos this week which I'll upload.  

Just need to empty the garage of all of the junk accumulated through Christmas :D 

...what's another 6 weeks in the scheme of things in this journey.... nowt and i'm sure i speak for all subscribed to this thread when i say i can't wait to see those pics.

On 1/12/2023 at 8:44 AM, timbobalobox said:

I'm going more for the 'Outlaw' look (company in the States who rebuild original 356s).

These people?

https://www.emorymotorsports.com/

He and his team are wizards when it comes to the 356. They have a twin turbo flat four option which sounds manic - they used it in their MOMO build inspired by the 935s of the 70s.

About 5 years ago I was lucky enough to meet and speak with him (I asked an open question and listened intently to his fulsome answer - and then another open question, a considered response and so on) he seems very genuine and is undoubtedly a highly accomplished engineer.  

Edited by map
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, map said:

These people?

https://www.emorymotorsports.com/

He and his team are wizards when it comes to the 356. They have a twin turbo flat four option which sounds manic - they used it in their MOMO build inspired by the 935s of the 70s.

About 5 years ago I was lucky enough to meet and speak with him (I asked an open question and listened intently to his fulsome answer - and then another open question, a considered response and so on) he seems very genuine and is undoubtedly a highly accomplished engineer.  

That's the one - I've heard nothing but good things about Rob and the team there, particularly the standard of finish they provide.

I'm hoping for that kind of look, but obviously a homage as opposed to being a true 356

4 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Wow, they have some nice stuff.  This especially, it's like my cars granddad.

62-Bali-Blue-Emory-Outlaw-Twin-Grill-Rds

Very similar wheels hubs and outers to the ones I'm getting, mine are a smidge lower profile :D 

They look lovely on that shape 😎

Edited by timbobalobox

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

Painter has said should be back end of Feb 😀

I also need to go this Friday to the paint supplier to confirm the colour…

<biting nails with pressure of getting the colour just right>

Don't worry, no one here will judge. 🙄

Edited by Terryg
  • Haha 2

Oooo primer :D 

It's the first part of the process they use to identify any areas they're not happy with, and it's nice to see it coming together.

8110c668-a510-4f14-8ffb-7b28b55efe5c

82514124-ee61-4def-9c68-14a519237d74e2bbfcd7-51ee-4c0d-8582-4dc9891596b08569a747-cfdd-4776-ba89-7b9513eba6d2

I also made a selection of three colours that he's going to spray sample for me - I'll upload the options when I collect them later this week.

I'll keep you posted 👍

• Like 3

The paint swatches are back - I'm even more confused than I was before...!  They look really different in different lights.  I think I'll go back and get some others, I want to get it right!

Mostly artificial light;

InkedIMG_4988_LI

Day light;

InkedIMG_4989_LI

Close up and curved (important as the car is so curved)

InkedIMG_4990_LIInkedIMG_4991_LIInkedIMG_4992_LI

So far for me it's number 1.  In order to make the body look good, I need to steer away from flat colours apparently, ensuring it's got metallic in.  That's a bit of a shame because the original colour scheme weren't as shiny due to the paint technology at the time, but I guess it's still a homage as opposed to a replica 

• Like 1