Project 387

timbobalobox

I think you should re-think the whole 'grey' thing.

The 356 had Polyantha Red which could be updated with a bit of metallic/pearl to really make it pop (I hate that phrase but it serves a purpose).

• Like 2

I'd go 3 it has a more retro feel metallic green for me.  Thinking a hint of 50's Aston Martin interpretation of British Racing Green.

1956 Aston Martin DBR1 Images - conceptcarz.com

Aston Martin DBR3:picture # 10 , reviews, news, specs, buy car (gomotors.net)

aston-martin-dbr3-06.jpg

• Like 1

Any time I see one of these, its grey. Sorry but I was hoping for something a little more adventurous. But at the end of the day, I'm not spending the cash so go with your gut. Look at the samples outside on a cloudy day, that's how it will be seen most often. 

Edited by Daboy3000

8 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Sorry but I was hoping for something a little more adventurous.

Er 🤔 cutting the panels off a perfectly good vehicle is right up there as far as car adventures go in my book.

Appreciate you’re referencing the colour options however the body volume of this adventure isn’t the same as the inspiration.

356s are tiny compared to a 987. A 356’s volume “tucks in and under” far more than the 987 chassis will permit.  The wheels on the 987 are much bigger and more fully fill the arches than you see on a factory 356 - this alters the way we see colour.

There are some amazing heritage colours - a personal favourite is Tobacco Metallic which is a really rich bronze hue seen on the original 930s. That might work on this shape - that said I think the options being considered will work well on this car - especially with the black interior. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 6:24 PM, map said:

@timbobalobox - very exciting.

How do those colours look under a bright clear sky?  As you say artificial light throws all sorts of hues into paintwork. 

Massively different to be honest!  The painter is being quite honest (whilst respecting personal taste) about how it looks and will work on the type of car.

On 2/10/2023 at 6:47 PM, Araf said:

I think you should re-think the whole 'grey' thing.

The 356 had Polyantha Red which could be updated with a bit of metallic/pearl to really make it pop (I hate that phrase but it serves a purpose).

I'm going to go back to the paint supplier next week and pick up some more samples - maybe red could be my wild card!  

On 2/11/2023 at 9:01 AM, Daboy3000 said:

Any time I see one of these, its grey. Sorry but I was hoping for something a little more adventurous. But at the end of the day, I'm not spending the cash so go with your gut. Look at the samples outside on a cloudy day, that's how it will be seen most often. 

It's really hard to get it right - the samples are more green than grey to be fair and don't photograph particularly well

• Like 1

No.3 appears most green on my phone after all the digital processing to get here 😁. It's odd, my 986 was Meridian silver, which most people saw as  a rather dull metallic grey or even a pinkish grey.  Myself, I could always see an exotic silvery  purple, especially in the sun, I really enjoyed the colour. 

17 hours ago, JonSta said:

I honestly keep coming back to this...!  I think if I had tan interior (which I was initially looking for) I'd definitely go for it 

16 hours ago, map said:

There are some amazing heritage colours - a personal favourite is Tobacco Metallic which is a really rich bronze hue seen on the original 930s. That might work on this shape - that said I think the options being considered will work well on this car - especially with the black interior. 

Capture

It's funny you say tobacco - I've been looking at this hue too, in fact those colours in the flesh I sampled have a hint of the above as well.

In my eye the swatch above looks better than the one on the car though!  With some fleck in the paint with the black interior would look lovely

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Topbox said:

Think these really need to be considered in daylight. Given the nerve and skill put into this project may you have some regret later if a slightly bolder, more creative colour scheme is not fully explored???

That's the thing - one of the colours that really suits this homages is the seal grey metallic, which is exactly the colour it was before!  

Because of the shape (and the fact it's fibre glass) it needs to be metallic, and as map said above the body is a lot bigger than the original so darker colours don't suit well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

Capture

It's funny you say tobacco - I've been looking at this hue too, in fact those colours in the flesh I sampled have a hint of the above as well.

In my eye the swatch above looks better than the one on the car though!  With some fleck in the paint with the black interior would look lovely

What about this set of images?

https://www.behance.net/gallery/59609801/1975-Porsche-911-(930)-Turbo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...