Project 387

timbobalobox

53 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

You've done really well since June :) 

Only 'really well'?  I think it is bloody amazing having seen a few other kit or motorsport projects grind to a halt due to lack of enthusiasm or budget.  A refreshing change to see someone rip though it with an obvious desire to not only do it right but also get it done!.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This week's update :) 

Rear badge mounted.  I'd taken the spoiler off to finish bonding it onto the bracket, and you can also see the reverse/fog light underneath - I'll get it painted around the edge to help it blend it too

IMG_0018

Bonded the covers for where the mirror mounts used to be and primed the doors ready for the skins (black looking paint)

IMG_0017

Loads of adhesive!

IMG_4338

And then...

IMG_4370

Just got picked up today ready for paint (masking tape to keep the frunk lid down :D) Roof up too (not sure why, if it

rains there is no windscreen, so what's the point :D)

IMG_4368IMG_4363

I've still got some bits I can be working on with the car not here - getting the lights ready, covering the tonneau/battery cover in vinyl etc - but it's going to feel strange not having it in the garage!

The sprayers have got a fair bit of prepping to do with the sanding/filling/gapping before priming it, but I've not really given a timeframe as I'd like it done right - the paint is what will make the difference to the finished product.  I've just ordered the wheels (40 day leadtime) and need to collect the side vents/fuel pipe/rear undertrays.  

I've had an insurance quote which needs a tracker (not black box thankfully) to be a reasonable price, so need to get on that too.  Once it's back I'll get all of the lights/bonnet struts back on hopefully in time for the MOT 👍 I expect in order to pass I'll need rear reflectors, which I hadn't thought about too much until now unfortunately - back to the drawing board for the rear design!

I'll keep the thread updated when I get anything meaningful done, but until it comes back enjoy the rest of the summer everyone and hope to have something interesting to post soon.

Thanks again for all of the support/comments - whilst it's far from finished, it's been a great project so far and it's been really encouraging to know there's been an interest.

• Like 4

On 8/1/2022 at 9:16 AM, ½cwt said:

Loving these weekly updates.  This is a fantastic project. 

Position 2 for the reverse/fog lights as it reflects the spot light positions on the nose?  3 reflects the side light positions but will be a sod to mount due to the double curvature of the bodywork in that location.

BTW What ae you going to do with your weekends once it is built?

If you are putting reverse and fog in pos 2 with a circular reflector the same diameter as the lights beside to the inside to make symmetrical?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If you are putting reverse and fog in pos 2 with a circular reflector the same diameter as the lights beside to the inside to make symmetrical?

In the end I went for the dual reverse/fog light under the number plate - hopefully once the edges of it are painted the same colour as the body it should blend in quite well.

I ordered some small chrome-edged reflectors but they look quite cheap in the flesh unfortunately, so I'm on the hunt for something nicer!  I think circle would probably look the best

Of course you did, as I suggested it went on a frame with the plate... :suicide_anim:

OK, Pos 2 for reflectors, this pic of a Mk3 Spitfire was a sort of inspiration:

hSLRGDx.jpg 

but also these 356 solutions, square reflector with rounded edges under the tail light (obvious retro fit), or reflectors where the holes are in the red one:

uCGDtQp.jpg

dOYtvBC.jpg  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Of course you did, as I suggested it went on a frame with the plate... :suicide_anim:

:D 

24 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

dOYtvBC.jpg  

I think where the holes are on this one would look great - looking on www.legislation.gov.uk there are no requirements on size, so I could get away with something similar to this 👍

Exhaust is pretty meaty too 😎

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, Terryg said:

@timbobalobox is it still in paint? The shakes and cramps are getting real bad, I need a fix soon!

Yep, the withdrawal is hell.

Hope things are still on track @timbobalobox as this is looking like a fantastic project.

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of updates folks - it's been manic with work over the past couple of months! 

It's still at the painters!  I haven't rushed it too much as I knew I'd be busy with work and didn't need the distraction :D 

Last week I collected the new side vents from the 3D printers - these look great in the flesh and fit like a dream (I'll get some photos next time I nip into the painters)

The body shell is all sanded and filled - we weren't massively happy with one of the door gaps, so the whole door is off and back with me to remove the new skin so it can be remounted/gapped better.  Truth be told I think it slipped ever-so-slightly as it was curing, so no-one else's fault other than my own 🤬  It's one of those things that in the real world it would possibly be fine, but it's all I'd ever see if it's not changed! 

I've also ordered the new wheels which are being made as they're not a stock item and these should be ready for the end of this month, along with the car back from the painters (mid November at the latest)

Once it's home, it's putting it all back together;

- windscreen in 

- fit arch liners

- fit wheels/tyres

- all of the lights/electrics back on

- fit windscreen wipers

- cover tonneau in leather/vinyl

- mount speedster humps

- mount mirrors 

- MONSTER deep clean as it's dusty as hell!

I'll get some more pictures done this week 👍

Have a good evening all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Did you resolve the reflectors?

On bikes, if there isn't one, we can stick them on the corners of the numberplate.  Not sure what size you need, but it's an option, just for the MOT.  When you get home, you can put the black/silver plate back on and forget the reflectors.

13 minutes ago, Araf said:

On bikes, if there isn't one, we can stick them on the corners of the numberplate.  Not sure what size you need, but it's an option, just for the MOT.  When you get home, you can put the black/silver plate back on and forget the reflectors.

If it's any consolation, my Westfield has no reflectors and the MOT tester doesn't care.  But if I were to fit some, then I'd go for these type https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225090939255

10 hours ago, Araf said:

Not quite yet - I was half thinking not to put them on and use the first MOT as a check to see what I needed.  If so that's not a bad idea with the plate!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quinten said:

If it's any consolation, my Westfield has no reflectors and the MOT tester doesn't care.  But if I were to fit some, then I'd go for these type https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225090939255

I also wondered if they'd be bothered to be honest - those look a nice solution too 👍

Edited by timbobalobox