Project 387

timbobalobox

On 10/10/2022 at 9:24 PM, Terryg said:

Thanks for the update, hope it goes well with the door.

To be honest it wasn't a job I was looking forward to - I had tried to use the windscreen remover wire I bought (and subsequently didn't end up using) but it kept getting gummed up with the adhesive or just snagging on the cut edge of the door.  I didn't want to force it for fear of breaking something, so went with the reciprocating sabre saw with a wood blade in so it was nice and coarse teeth to avoid getting clogged.

Success!

IMG_4586

Some slight scuffing which I can live with - more importantly I didn't cut through the door face!  I kept it nice and tight against the metal and took my time.  

You can just see the new windscreen under the dust sheet to the left of the image, with it's heated element wire hanging down.

After stripping off the remaining adhesive I primed both of the surfaces again to make sure it would make a good bond

IMG_4585

Hoping to get to the painters on Thursday to re-mount the door and skin - I'll get some pictures whilst there.  He's keen to get it all primed which needs to be left a good week or so to really harden, so with any luck we'll be a week after that.  Middle of November is my aim!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, timbobalobox said:

To be honest it wasn't a job I was looking forward to - I had tried to use the windscreen remover wire I bought (and subsequently didn't end up using) but it kept getting gummed up with the adhesive or just snagging on the cut edge of the door.  I didn't want to force it for fear of breaking something, so went with the reciprocating sabre saw with a wood blade in so it was nice and coarse teeth to avoid getting clogged.

Success!

IMG_4586

Some slight scuffing which I can live with - more importantly I didn't cut through the door face!  I kept it nice and tight against the metal and took my time.  

You can just see the new windscreen under the dust sheet to the left of the image, with it's heated element wire hanging down.

After stripping off the remaining adhesive I primed both of the surfaces again to make sure it would make a good bond

IMG_4585

Hoping to get to the painters on Thursday to re-mount the door and skin - I'll get some pictures whilst there.  He's keen to get it all primed which needs to be left a good week or so to really harden, so with any luck we'll be a week after that.  Middle of November is my aim!

Great stuff, well done on persevering and thanks for the update ! 👍

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Terryg said:

Yep good job, looking forward to the finishing stages, probably not a much as you though.

Definitely - really looking forward to getting it back home and doing the finishing touches.  

I've just ordered some different leather (vinyl really) for the tonneau cover and the underside of the front bonnet (and potentially some of the centre console) in this pattern.  Hoping it will make a subtle period-eske feature, but I'm reserving judgement until it arrives!

Capture

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge update this week - received the above vinyl, but to be honest in the flesh it's not as I had hoped.  I've ordered some other with a better pattern and foam backed which should be a bit more tactical.  

Went to the painters the other week (forgetting to take any photos!) and re-hung the door with them.  Nipped in today to see how they're getting on;

IMG_4655IMG_4653

The green line is filler where we wanted to tidy the door profile a bit, and you can see the 3d printed vents in the boot - these fit like a dream.

IMG_4654

They've asked me to go by Friday morning to check on all of the gaps to make sure I'm happy, then it will be fully primed afterwards.  After curing for a week... time for the colour to go on :) :)

I reckon another 2-3 weeks and it should be coming home 👍 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

It's going well. Would love to see this car in the flesh when it's all finished. I take it you will be taking it to some shows? 

Thank you.

That's the plan - I might venture on some of the local Porsche meets, not sure how it'll be received though :D 

I missed out on doing some track days too, I think it could be quite entertaining!

3 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

received the above vinyl, but to be honest in the flesh it's not as I had hoped.  I've ordered some other with a better pattern and foam backed which should be a bit more tactical. 

If your replacement vinyl doesn't suit a number of the early 911 guys use something like this:

https://modulusamplification.com/tolex---black-elephant----price-per-50cm-3324-p.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvofLsfmK-wIVB-7tCh2bqw0YEAQYAiABEgIr_fD_BwE

It may not be what you’re looking for but I thought it might be useful. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, map said:

If your replacement vinyl doesn't suit a number of the early 911 guys use something like this:

https://modulusamplification.com/tolex---black-elephant----price-per-50cm-3324-p.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvofLsfmK-wIVB-7tCh2bqw0YEAQYAiABEgIr_fD_BwE

It may not be what you’re looking for but I thought it might be useful. 

That's great, thank you.  It's quite a good price too 👍

23 hours ago, Wish said:

My only complaint is this has gone too quick, needed to strung out for a good few years. 😃

You’ve made it look far to easy 🤩

Thank you! 

I'm just back from the painters as we needed to fit the front latch (which turned out to be a pain in the ass), but it needed doing so the gaps can be done properly.  

A few fiddly bits left to do, that's for sure!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, timbobalobox said:

That's great, thank you.  It's quite a good price too 👍

It’s worth having a search for similar vinyls - this was the first I found and I know the early Porsche cognoscenti have strong views on which is best. I recall some mentions of Marshall Amp “Elephant Hide” vinyl being considered a good option.   

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 1:58 PM, timbobalobox said:

Not a huge update this week - received the above vinyl, but to be honest in the flesh it's not as I had hoped.  I've ordered some other with a better pattern and foam backed which should be a bit more tactical.  

Received the vinyl and a lot more happy with it, so will give this a go on the tonneau cover.  Still reserving judgement until I see it on the painted car/against the existing interior, but for now I quite like it.  It's foam backed so feels much nicer than the other stuff I've had so far.

Just a sample (which should be enough to go over the tonneau) - I'm going to order some more shortly to line the underside of the frunk lid and battery/washer bottle cover.  Might also see how it looks for covering the trim behind the seats.  We'll see as I don't want to over do it!

Spent a bit of time this week getting some of the light brackets sorted and took apart the main lights to put the grills on.

IMG_4677

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, Daboy3000 said:

According to my timbob387 calendar, it should be coming home soon and I am not talking about the footy.

Any news @timbobalobox ?

Sorry for the lack of updates!

I spoke with the painters yesterday and they're still finishing everything off - it's taken much longer than expected to get it to a standard they're happy with prior to painting.  Whilst it's a bit disappointing to have not had it back by now, I'd much rather the quality is right :) 

At least the weather is rubbish at the minute (unlike summer when I had only myself to blame for missing out :D :D)

I've just got off the phone to Iconic about the wheels too, they should be another couple of weeks as they're just being machined now.

Fingers crossed this side of Christmas I'll have it back, so over the holiday I can have a go to get it all completed 👍 

In the New Year I might even try some track days in it 😎

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

£60k! Whoosh! 

Interesting trimming job done on the seats. I think I quite like it, although it looks pretty poor (lots of creasing). 

• Like 1

... i have a sneaky suspicion that Timbo's is gonna look a let better than this as i suspect she'll be a darker colour. Rear wheels need spacers and it's just sitting too low for me hence it looks too long...?

Just my opinion of course but £60k.... it'll be for sale for a while at that price.

However, i really like the rims.

Edited by skoosh1970