Am i being too picky - Scratched part turns up - what would you do?

BERGS2

So - having looked at re-furb option for the lifting front scuttle - decided to get a replacment

very excited to fit as this, as it has been one element of the car that has let it down badly; (totally faded - lifting at one side and missing one of the caps)

Got all the fitting paraphanalia as well - pressure plates and the like - if anyone has down this please let me know of any curveballs to look out for....

Anyhows - the part comes and on unpacking it - notice that there are a bunch of scratches on the top of it - won't 'polish out' but i may be able to get them less visible by hairdryer/heat gun.

I phone up to supplier and am slighty surprised to get a: 'really - is that a problem?' tone....  I need to chat to them again this morning as had lined up this weekend to fit it.

Part of me thinks: f**k it - the will not be visible when driving anyway - but at the same time - getting a new part to improve the aesthetics of the car, only to have it turned up scratched leaves a slightly unpleasant taste...

Reminds me of when we had our house done, i was away for a few days and the builder ordered about 120m of the wrong skirting board (had a different flat top, rather than curved profile). in fact it was this for anyone really following the analogy: https://www.howdens.com/joinery/skirting-boards?style=Burford

However, now every time i see it it reminds me of accepting something that really should have been sorted....... (more of an issue for my wife - who has 120m of additinal dusting to do when she is claening the house 😂 - anyhows - back to the subject matter)

Just a straw poll from you guys as to whether you think i'm being overly petty in wanting this to be perfect? We are porsche folk after all.... 😂

cheers dudes

p.s. i still cant post photos - though i do seem to have nailed embedding video - winner! ha ha.....

[url]

If they weren't mentioned in the advert then yes, I think you should ask for a refund. It is already bothering you and it will every time you do catch sight of it, so what is the point of going to all the trouble of fitting it?

• Like 1

I wouldn't accept it and it will always play on your mind every time you see it (just like the skirting board).
You paid for a new item to be delivered and that is what you should receive. Don't let the company fob you off that it was the delivery companies fault as it is the company you have purchased off and it is them who should ensure safe delivery no matter who they use.
Contact the company and send them the video, see what their response is and how they deal with it, this may sway your decision. 

37 minutes ago, Mixer987 said:

I wouldn't accept it and it will always play on your mind every time you see it (just like the skirting board).
You paid for a new item to be delivered and that is what you should receive. Don't let the company fob you off that it was the delivery companies fault as it is the company you have purchased off and it is them who should ensure safe delivery no matter who they use.
Contact the company and send them the video, see what their response is and how they deal with it, this may sway your decision. 

....i agree with this... send the video, wait 24 hours for  a response and if not acceptable, advise you're going to name both the supplier and the courier... that should get their attention... i wouldn't accept the scratches.

Si.

3 hours ago, Terryg said:

Unanimity on this forum, you have achieved something remarkable in short time here, congrats @BERGS2.

hahaha

short time?

I've been here 17 years mate!  just a bit of a slow starter 😂

Yeah - its actually a 'new' part & came in the official packaging

(another lame attempt to post pics - imagur this time...:)

https://imgur.com/a/Zs6nHbl

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BERGS2 said:

hahaha

short time?

That's not how mine looked in the box from the OPC; outer cardboard box then some kind of inner sleeve packaging covering the entire thing, protecting it. There were zero marks on it.

Edited by iborguk

21 minutes ago, BERGS2 said:

hahaha

short time?

Your output is hardly prodigious then, still plenty on here make up for it. If that is meant to be a new part, I don't think there is much to discuss, see you in 2040.

• Haha 3

I disagree with all of the previous posts, DO NOT send it back, tell them to collect it, at their cost.

If you weren't replacing it for aesthetic reasons I could understand a bit of indecision BUT you are replacing for aesthetic reasons and that part is aesthetically compromised.

I suspect their attitude is them playing mind games. So your answer is,,,,"YES it really is a problem, for you"  ;)

Having said all that I'm willing to bet those marks would blend in with a touch of plastic dressing which is surprising as we usually recommend T-Cut for irreparable damage  :whistle:

2 hours ago, BERGS2 said:

hahaha

short time?

Irritating scratches, I definitely would not accept that!

2 hours ago, rowbos said:

I'm getting a return vibe in this thread...

you think so? 😂

to be fair - i mailed them and called today - very different experience.

sending a replacement out Monday & picking up this one

She's also put a note to make sure the part is properly wrapped prior to being sent

so all good i hope 🤞

(it was Design911, as it's no longer a 'name and shame' type situation 👍)

• Like 2